1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Draw Tool Doors

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Tay-Dor, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

It would be nice if you could draw the doors off the grid, in the middle of the squares.

Like...

Instead of...

Note: I'm not talking about the shadowcasting doors.

Attached Files:

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

yeah, but that would mean making that layer it's own entity and function separately from the floor foundation, which you may see at some point down the road..

3. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

A sort of option to this would be to have the ability to have two snap features. One that would snap to the corners only, a single snap, and another that would allow for snapping on the corners and in the middle, 2 snaps.

4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

What I'm thinking is this... (based on the limitations of the current polygon system)

Option 1:

Change doors to have a "central" point (6-vert polygon)

upload_2016-7-19_23-10-31.png upload_2016-7-19_23-12-9.png

A rough placed alignment in-between points can result in.

upload_2016-7-19_23-13-33.png

Option 2:

Ignore the fact that doors are rectangular and focus instead of the effect for the players.

upload_2016-7-19_23-15-31.png

These "doors" are Snap to knot locked into the walls, but thinner when they meet (also snap to knot). The result is doors which the players can reveal while still blocking vision and being functional.

upload_2016-7-19_23-18-43.png

similarly these doors are attached at a single knot (vert) to the surrounding wall then snap to knot to each other in the middle. The result is similar to the above example.

Option 3

I figure out the Edge problem and we have doors which do not occlude art but also successfully block light at perpendicular angles (the bug which was solved by removing the original internal review feature).

The result would be...

upload_2016-7-19_23-25-22.png

(This is simulated with lights inside the edge objects)

So, Option 1 requires minimal changes to the system and can have interesting effects. Option 2 is what we've already got in place, but requires a slight change in thought about how to "paint" a door. And Option 3 is a hard to solve issue which has eluded both Thraxxis and myself thus far -- other than to break other fog of war objects in order to make this use case work.

My ideal would be Option 3 with Option 1 and 2 being stop gap measures while trying to solve the internal occlusion problem.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

5. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Hey Owlbear is there a way to make doors multi layered? I have an idea, I have no idea if it is even a good idea. :)

Here goes.

What if doors where knotted like in your option 1 but the middle knot was recessed into the door a little bit. I tend to make my doors overlap my walls to prevent any light leaking and this would do it automatically. If I was at my computer I would show you but I'll try to do it with text.

So one layer would be the knotting layer. That would look like this:

□-----------------------------□
    *\*****************/
    **□*************□
    */*****************\

And then a "mask" layer that would look like this:

------------------------------------
    |*******************|
    |*******************|
    |*******************|
    ------------------------------------

So together the light blocking edge would overlap the center door knot so that the wall would block any extra light spillage from the 90 degree issue.

Hopefully this transfers like I want it to.

Ok that didn't post like I wanted so I have to add some characters to get the images like I want them. So igore the "*" in the images above. They are just place holders for the other symbols.

#5 Bloodwolf, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    owlbear likes this.
  6. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Using code blocks (access form the + icon next to the film icon) you can make fun ascii art :)

Code:
     \                           /
      □                         □
     /                           \

My only concern is having more than one object. Honest. the real solution here is to have our block light going out the back side only (an inverted normal).

Code:
    =================> Light carries past the object
    ==>□-------□
    ===|========>\         Light passes through the front face of the object
    ===|=========>\        and stops at the far wall.
    ===|==========>\
    ===|===========>□
    ===|===========>|

7. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

What I actually had in mind is that the light would pass through front and stop on the back of the "|" wall and the "\" and "□" wouldn't effect light but simply be the knots for attaching to the end of the wall.

I may not be understanding the original problem. My understanding was that when light hit the edge of the door at roughly a 90 degree angle to the edge of the door you were getting light leakage past the door. Am I completely off here?

I was thinking that by setting it to where the door overlapped the wall the wall would stop the leakage.