1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Lamplight in dungeons

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by CrankyProf, Aug 1, 2016.

1. CrankyProf

CrankyProf New Member

I'm currently running a group through Emerald Spire and I have no trouble setting up shadow casting for the levels, thanks to the excellent YouTube tutorial. However I am a bit stuck on how to configure the oil lamps, for instance on level 3. In the description it says that all the rooms and corridors are lit by oil lamps that provide dim light. How do I create the lights in the rooms and corridors so that that are only revealed when the doors are opened or a player goes around a corner? Is there any way to set them up like dynamic visibility for creatures?

I have been manually turning on and off fixed light sources as players encounter them, but it is a bit awkward and time consuming, especially if there are a lot of lights.

By the way, I love D20Pro ... especially when I integrate Syrinscape and got a handle on shadow casting ... brilliant application. Thanks.

2. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Shouldn't have to turn them on and off. The lights shouldn't be revealed until that section of the mask is revealed. Maybe you need to break up your masks into smaller sections?

3. CrankyProf

CrankyProf New Member

It doesn't seem to help. Thanks though. When I tested it and put a light in a room, you can see the light from anywhere in the dungeon. If I turn off "Public" but leave the Visibility on, no one can see the light, even if they are in the same room. If I set the owner of the light to a PC then they can see it, but it still remains lit, even if they leave the room.

Can someone please explain to me how to set up the lights so that they are only visible when my PCs open a door or enter a room where the light is located. If it makes a difference I am using Shadow casting and all my masks are set to "I" so that they interact with shadow casting.

Thanks for your help.

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

You have to hide the FOW region (mask) over the area covering the light, make it blue ...

5. CrankyProf

CrankyProf New Member

That was the ticket. I wasn't using the masking properly. I hadn't hidden the mask ... thanks so much! I do need to make my masks a bit more compact but overall it works perfectly. This program just gets better and better.