1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

spells not functioning

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Devil Dog, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Ok, I was successful importing 5 characters from PCGen to version 3.6.9 [bard, ranger, cleric, fighter, rogue]. Despite multiple attempts, I was unable to import the wizard pc, and thus simply created the character from scratch in d20pro.

I am now having issues with the spellcasters. For the bard and cleric, when I click on the character to cast a spell, the character pops up on the DM screen and recognizes the spell to be cast. However, the computer is not recognizing any of the effects. So, for example, the cleric tries a cure light wounds on someone down 5 hp; the game log records the casting of the spell, but it always comes up as 0 points healed. The same holds true for other spells that grant an ability/status to another character, the computer records the spell being cast but then does not assign the new status to the effected character.

The wizard that I created in d20pro has a different issue in that while I was able to enter memorized spells in his character sheet, when he attempts to cast a spell his figure pops up in the spell window but the computer does not offer any selection of spells to be cast. When I click the edit button under the spell tab, this opens up a new window asking for memorized spells. I am able to select the spells and click ok, but there is no register of these spells on the permanent window of the spell tab.

We are hoping to start our first campaign on d20pro this Wednesday, so I am hoping to work out these final kinks beforehand. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

could you show us a screencap of the the effects page when you cast the spell please?

3. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

ok. I've attached three screenshots below--two for the cleric trying to cast cure light wounds and one of the wizard showing no available spells.

Attached Files:

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I am looking for a shot of this screen... this example is for an Ability, but for spells it is mechanically the same... and you most likely just have to 'Rest' the wizard for spells to show up..

[​IMG]

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

and more explicitly this sub screen of the spell itself.

spells.jpg

6. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

ok, thanks. I am partway towards a solution. Resting the wizard made the spells available. I have provided screenshots of the cleric. His spell list comes up fine, yet "effect' always comes up as 'inert'. by clicking on 'inert' I am able to enter the effects of the spell (2d8 +2 healing). then okaying the spell produces the desired effect. I am able to also click on 'inert' for other spells and plug in the desired effect.

So the problem now is that when I rest the cleric and attempt to cast a cure light wounds again it continues to come up "inert" under effects, leaving me with having to enter this information everytime the spell is cast.

Screenshot (6).png Screenshot (7).png Screenshot (10).png Screenshot (11).png Screenshot (12).png

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

You can use the 'save/load' buttons there on the spell attributes to save or load the options set for a spell..

8. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

ok. thanks. I assume this means that spells are not automatically imported for spell casters. That after creating the character each player must go in and enter each of the spells he/she will be using manually, then save? Or is there an easy way to load the various effects from a file?

9. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Devil Dog,

Correct, currently the effects for spells are manually entered once then saved. Each time thereafter the player/GM can load the effect to attach to any spell (allows editing, just in case there are any modifiers such as an empowered rod or etc.)

The file is in /user/effectsD20PRO.GM.dat . Though, it's probably best just to leave it at that, as...
    In the future... near future that is... casting the spell will lookup the spell in the features library, and if there's a match it will automatically attach the correct effect based on the caster's level and all that good stuff.

#9 edwardcd, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

It's gonna be epic!! :cool:

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Also just an FYI, it might not matter to you and like some us we do so much online we really don't mind such things... but you might care about or others might be interested as well..

You might want to take the moment to crop your screenshots.. on the header status bar it shows your D20PRO name as well as your current IP and port..

Likewise on the bottom of windows we can see your windows bar, and you might not want other people seeing what you have open or have located on your windows hot bar such as Utorrent there...

12. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm still learning the ropes here.

13. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

no worries, just trying to keep everyone informed and safe ...

14. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Ok, we're getting there in being ready to start our campaign. I was hoping to solicit some ideas from people how to mechanically set up various spells/abilities.

1. Bardic Performance--it allows the bard a choice of 4 selections [counter song; inspire courage, etc.] and he is allowed 4 rounds + CHA modifier per day to use among these four selections. How do I set this up under abilities? I could make each of the selections a separate ability, but then how does the total limit among the four come into play?

2. Spellcraft--this is a bug to easily work around; however, while under the skills tab on the character sheet it lists spellcraft, when the wizard tries to use that skill as an action (K hotkey) it is not within the list of skill options to choose from.

3. How do you enter spells such as sleep? This is a spell that changes a characters status but I do not see any tab option for status when entering in the desired spell effect. The bard simply entered a duration for it and left the effect as inert, and when he cast it on a creature (the wizard) the spell name of sleep was recorded on the wizard's icon on the board and in the roster. Yet a successful save is supposed to negate. Does this mean that the DM has to go into each creature's character sheet that makes a save to negate or half damage each time a spell is cast?

4. Lastly, this is another bug issue. As stated earlier in the thread, all of the characters were imported from PCGen except for the wizard, for some reason his file (and any other wizard character I created) was not recognized for import. I went ahead and created the character from scratch in D20Pro. For some reason his character is not able to edit his known and memorized spells. He has been able to successful submit requests to change his skill score, or add a feat, but no request is sent out when attempting to change his known or memorized spells.

Not sure what if any screenshots need to accompany these questions.

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

There are several way you could approach this. I would create an Ability called Bardic Performance and give it daily charges = to the bards allotment.

I could be wrong, but doesn't K only list recently used skills.. ON the character sheet -> skills tab -> double click the blue d20 di next to the skill name to roll that skill.

You are doing this correctly for the time being.. Once the "Features" library is in full swing, you'll be able to attach status marker to effects.

could you open your classes.txt file and copy the class template you are talking about so we can look it over. Likewise, right click on the token ->menu->location->save to library .. once saved back to the library, Library->export->d20pro format.. likewise attached the exported token to your reply so we can take a look at it.. it should export with the name <charactername>.d20_ctr just save it to your desktop or other familiar temp directory

If that seems to convoluted, I'd be happy to meet on skype and help square you away.

16. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Thanks for all of the above. I think I am ready to go on #1-3.

Regarding #4: I have exported the wizard character to my desktop; however, I am unable to upload it in this thread. I get the error, "the uploaded file does have an allowed extension". And where do I look to get my classes.txt file?

17. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

zipping it will sort the extension upload issue. I'll also see if I can change the allowed file type setting on the forums themselves...

classes.txt is located at <install dir>/judge/<campaignname>/res/manuallyspecified

for more information on this please see WIki: Manually Specified

18. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Ok, I have been able to upload both files.

Attached Files:

19. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

So, nothing wrong with Ash other than he had no 'Spells Known lvl1'.. assigning him a few spells lvl 1 to his known list and then 'Rest'ing him, fixes him right up..

ashwizardspells.jpg

ashwizardspells2.jpg

ashwizardspells3.jpg

ashwizardspells4.jpg

20. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Thanks, this helps. I had already planned on adding the various spells for Ash while in my DM screen. Yet the main issue was that the player of Ash wasn't able to do this remotely from his end. He would make the changes as above and press ok, rest, and apply buttons, yet this would not prompt a request in my screen for Ash trying to change his character. And when he opened the character again, all his changes were no longer recorded.
    When we get together this Sunday I will see if after setting up his character, he is able to make the changes in game.