1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Limits on maps?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by evildmguy, Jul 27, 2016.

1. evildmguy

evildmguy New Member

Okay, I tried to add in tiles that I bought from Heroic Maps.

I found that I could move the folder over into the proper <campaigns>/<campaignname>/res/flr directory and then within d20Pro, click on Judge tab and click Refresh resources.

The first time I did this, I had several hundred, broken out by folder, in png format that were 2.7G in size.

d20Pro never recovered. I can understand that but I had to kill it via Task Manager.

So, converted the pngs to jpegs and that reduced it to 270M of data. While it technically worked, trying to use the new folder with cave tiles, which had around 128 tiles and was 108 M. Again, the program locked up and I couldn't use them to create a map.

I have half of my 6G RAM remaining available. My CPU isn't being used much.

Is this a limitation of the program? I will say that this is 3.5.7 but if the solution is just upgrade, what did people do before? It seems strange that the program can't handle it.

edg

2. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I currently have about 5 gigs of map tiles and resources. I haven't had it lock up. When searching for a tile, sometimes it might take 2-3 seconds after clicking the folder for the thumbnails to appear. I have found when I create a new map from a file (I draw a base map in GIMP and import it and add tiles to it) it can take up to 5 minutes for D20Pro to finish "creating" it before I can start manipulating it. I've experienced this mostly after getting my large tile pack in a few different versions.

One tip tho, if using the same tile in multiple locations on the map, make sure to clone the tile. Seems to load faster for my players.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

This sound more like a "running out of RAM" issue.. could you please post up the d20pro.log file?

yeah, I have about 8,000 tiles alone. maybe another 6-8k character portraits.

4. evildmguy

evildmguy New Member

It appears it is a RAM issue. Sigh. Have to wait until I get my new computer and then try again.

Thanks!

edg

5. thorimar

thorimar New Member

I have updated to the latest beta version but on the load screen it still tells me my upper memory limit is 1.78 GB. Should I be able to change that from the drop down menu? I have 12 GB on the computer, but this seems locked...

6. Mickey

Mickey Member

You should be able to click on the "edit..." button next to the upper memory limit on the login screen, then change it there.

7. thorimar

thorimar New Member

Yep, I should be able to? It doesn't work. I had to monkey around a couple years ago with Owlbear on my heap limit, before d20Pro actually let you "go big" on maps. I have a feeling that my settings are hardwired on a stack limit now. And I can't remember where we edited the Java settings. :(

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Memory is set in one of two places dependent on how you start the application.

Either by the memory drop down setting on the launch screen.

d20promemory1.jpg

or via the -xmx command line augment if you are using the batch file. In this case you would adjust the xmx amount in 512 increments or set an amount such as 1/2 your ram, so 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 etc etc...

d20promemory2.jpg

9. thorimar

thorimar New Member

I tried editing the BAT file, went up to 4096m, and it still give the limit below.
    upload_2016-9-28_20-21-22.png

I launched the program from the bat, jar, and application with the same limit showing up. I have 12GB on the laptop. I can't imagine why I am having this issue.

10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

what OS are you running?
    Do you have any other java installs or JVM running on your system?
    could you share/attach your d20pro.log file?

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

it is possible it is being overridden by a OS system environment variable.
    Control Panel → System and Security → System → Advanced system settings → Environment variables.
    _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xmx1g" [example only]

12. thorimar

thorimar New Member

Eureka!! Only one version of Java running, but your second thought above was the winner. Running Windows10, the JAVA_OPTIONS line on my advanced settings was "Xmx2g". I changed it to 4g, saved, then restarted d20Pro and now I see

upload_2016-9-28_22-29-41.png

Log file for reference:

[28 Sep 2016 20:29:09,562] ERROR D20LF$Dlg | Unexpected exception
    com.mindgene.d20.common.D20LF$OOM: D20PRO has run out of available memory. Please exit D20PRO and try again with a higher memory setting.
    at com.mindgene.d20.laf.wizard.WizardWRP$CommitLogic.work(WizardWRP.java:299)
    at com.mindgene.d20.laf.BlockerControl.run(BlockerControl.java:224)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    at com.mindgene.common.threading.SafeThread.safeRun(SafeThread.java:187)
    at com.mindgene.common.threading.SafeThread.run(SafeThread.java:195)
    Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.util.JpegInfo.getYCCArray(AlternateJPEGEncoder.java:1334)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.util.JpegInfo.<init>(AlternateJPEGEncoder.java:1270)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.util.AlternateJPEGEncoder.<init>(AlternateJPEGEncoder.java:98)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.util.AlternateJPEGEncoder.encode(AlternateJPEGEncoder.java:62)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.util.D20ImageUtil.writeToFile(D20ImageUtil.java:114)
    at com.mindgene.d20.dm.console.mapwizard.MapWizardWRP.writeImageFile(MapWizardWRP.java:166)
    at com.mindgene.d20.dm.console.mapwizard.MapWizardWRP.commitWizard(MapWizardWRP.java:104)
    at com.mindgene.d20.laf.wizard.WizardWRP$CommitLogic.work(WizardWRP.java:285)

Thanks so much for the assistance!

13. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I'd remove that environment variable altogether and then just use the applications options to set the memory variables/switches.

14. thorimar

thorimar New Member

I admit to a lack of computer savvy in this area. Was that java_option likely only associated with this program? Or some other weird artifact of the OS?

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

would set the Java variable for all/any java applications run on the OS, there really is no need to set OS level environment variables for java. every java application has it's own requirements and thus will only be hindered by such settings, and it'll just be confusing when you are trying to use other things and those docs tell you to set some java setting to run the application, but the OS variable is overriding that setting.. as you've just seen..