1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Player item handling

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Robotguy, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

I would really like to see the players be able to drop/destroy items and money. Bonus points if the characters are able to give items/money to each other.

2. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

really, that makes more sense than you can possible know. as a late comer to the code base, these are the types of things that surprise me as well.

I'm adding this to the hopper for the improvements to player experience that we're queuing up.

3. ncassella

ncassella Member

oh oh oh , and if they are weapons they go into selectable weapons or if they are armor you could have the ability to equip or unequip...asking too much?

4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

nope, not too much to ask. Just going to take some time. These are on the roadmap for the feature library. Quick summary:

• Feature Library beta for spells and special abilities (possibly also for traits)
    • Switch gears to rework tokens for creature and items so they use the Map Marker style of manager -- URI, arbitrary scale and rotation, animated gif support, grid aware while not grid locked
    • Rework grids to use polygon system allowing for algorithmic and arbitrary grid creation
    • Back to Feature Library to add support for items, tokens and grids
    We'll either be extending the item system at the second stage above or the fourth -- TBD.

5. ncassella

ncassella Member

Very exciting times coming up.

With the arbitrary grid creation, are you planning on giving users the ability to say have a map with 2 different sized grids on it, inside and outside for example. or just draw the grid in?

6. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Different sized grids would be possible as well as odd shapes. Add to this the tie into the trigger/feature system and you have a full fledge board game layout and control system.

Additionally, you'll be able to set grid elevations and other meta data for grid cells which allow for players to interact with the environment based on location. Does your game use a rule that having the high ground grants a bonus to hit? You'll be able to do that!

Tay-Dor likes this.
  7. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

And for those of us that also play games like Battletech once the hex grid is up and running, or is it and I've missed it, then with elevations it will be nice for determining movement and firing.

8. ncassella

ncassella Member

the elevation thing has been tricky to deal with I usually use a blank creature and adjust the height. Being able to define that on the grid would be amazing.

9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hex is not live yet. I was creating a simple hex painter similar to the grid painter and realized I was barking up the wrong tree. First of all, attaching the hex grid to an inherently square digital environment was not working out so well -- yes it can be done, but doing it the way I was was simply wrong ;)

Hex grid and free grid will all come as part of the work we've got lined up. I had to pull our contractor off of that work last week to help with some functional problems we were having before an important *ahem* publisher meeting. But now that that is done (and done well) we should be able to resume work on the polygon/grid system and free moving tokens.

Free moving tokens is probably what I'm personally the most excited about right away because it allows for peeking and other behaviors that table top players have partaken in for time immemorial. What rogue in their right mind actually sticks their whole body out in the hall to see who's down there? Really?

Currently light peeking is doable by the GM keeping the light panel open and slide a tethered light around on the map and pushing an update... but honestly, as a GM, I don't want to be responsible for every action my players take and you shouldn't have to be either!

Polygon grids will also be awesome though -- knowing this is on the horizon now makes me giddy!

10. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh and to the topic of the thread.

Inventory features for equipped or unequipped items may be getting a bump after our *unnamed* publisher meeting from last week! I'll keep you posted on this as it develops