1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Creature Library Tags

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by arlus101, Jan 15, 2017.

1. arlus101

arlus101 New Member

I understand the feature system is the priority right now (and it should be! I very excited) but I was wondering if some kind of tagging system for the creature library was possible. Of course, there already is a simple one now, but I was looking for something more meaningful. i.e. a creature could be part of an adventure set (then you could easily see all the monsters from that adventure, and a tag for encounter #1, encounter #2 for that adventure etc).

Which brings me to my second request about the Roster. In the roster it would be nice to have more than just active and inactive. I sometimes have a lot of creatures setup on a map and the roster gets a little cluttered. Using the tags filters the roster into a manageable list would be very handy. For example, I might have the 'pc' tag selected and encounter #2 but they open a door and I then turn on the tag for encounter #3. It would focus the combat on only those creatures who matter and I think make game organization much smoother.

Keep up the great work!

2. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Interesting ideas.

In this case, you can just highlight the group of monsters in that room and hit "I" to make them active.

3. arlus101

arlus101 New Member

Very true and certainly the way to do it now, but what I am thinking is a simple 'add tag' to active (and inactive for that matter...). It is not always the case that the creatures are in an easily select-able group AND wouldn't it be cool if to start an encounter you just 'add tag encounter # 4' and presto.

Adding tags like this, I have to imagine, is non trivial at this point. However, with the new API, perhaps that will add the possibility of something like a tagging system?

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I use the Module name as tags for creatures, so I can sort them better in my Creature Library. So I put class, level, race, etc. there to help my search.

Now using tags for Roster, that's a cool idea. Maybe a dropdown on top, and only the active selected tags get put in initiative for combat mode... mmhmmm

5. arlus101

arlus101 New Member

The whole point to tags is for better searching. I try to do the same thing with the module field. Which got me thinking, the whole point is to be able to find a creature faster (say for a random encounter) and hopefully an easy add in would be to add another column in the library. The obvious one is for CR. Of course the other one would be for Team.

Other possibilities would be nice too, such as environment or alignment but the first two would normally narrow down most searches.

As for the roster, you are seeing the possibilities. The simplest to me (without knowing any of the inner workings) would be to select a team. This does seem to suggest that we need to be able to edit the team names and colour as the current list wouldn't be long enough or descriptive enough. I'm really hoping the API will open up this option.

6. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I do believe this is on the 'to do' list.

7. arlus101

arlus101 New Member

Great. It also has me thinking about the new the feature/spell system. I wonder if you will be able to select targets by tag. For example, when someone cast haste, they typically only want to cast it on their fellow pc's. It really isn't that hard to right now but I'm sure their are situations where selecting the team would be very convenient. This would be a 'nice to have', certainly not a 'must have'.

On the other hand, the feature library...that's a must have.