1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Tiles - No Snap option

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Lonewolf147, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

I like tiles. They are very handy for dressing up a room with objects. But, they always snap to the grid. Sometimes I have objects that aren't exactly aligned to the grid.

It would be nice to be able to toggle a snap on/off for tiles.

Tay-Dor likes this.
  2. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

This thread never had any replies to it, so I wanted to bump it.

In addition to non-snapping tiles, it would also be nice if they could be rotated more than just 90 degrees at a time. Even every 45 degrees would be helpful. That would be very beneficial when using ships, or wagons, etc, and want to show a more accurate placement/orientation with them, especially with sticky turned on.

Tay-Dor likes this.
  3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Tiles... yeah. these are literally the oldest part of the app.

This will get love during the next phase of development (post feature library and rules). The plan has some major updates to the map layer which would enable grid, no grid, snap, no snap, tiles of arbitrary size/shape etc.

To get a sense of this now, you can use the Marker system to drop some tiles below the players and fog of war and lock them in place. Markers can be arbitrarily rotated, scaled and the rest of that quiet nicely :)

Almost like they're a preview of awesome map related things to come!

4. Blind2karma

Blind2karma New Member

Great tip Owlbear!

I hadn't considered using the Marker system in that way. I can also understand why you're calling it a preview and not a complete solution, considering you're limited to only the icons that come with d20pro. That is unless there's a method to add your own icons that I'm not aware of?

At least I now understand why there's so many icons of seemingly non-icon like things, things more like basic tiles;)

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Actually you're not.

You can drop any files or directories into the "markers" folder in your campaign's manually specified directory. This will automagically add them to the valid Icon list when you go to create a new token. If you add a bunch or they are really high res, this will take a bit to load the first time.

...and yes... I might have been abusing that system for a long time!

Some of those markers are from my personal creations like the statues...

Anyway, here's an example using 22x22 tiles from the World Engine preview build.

Note, check "Custom Size" then you can set the width and height to whatever you want. Additionally, you can specify a rotation. There is a right click menu to rotate markers, but it is rather limited right now. Eventually, we'll have proper marker selection enabled then you can use the '[' ']' keys to rotate the tile by a step value (1 .. 90).

Also, for map tiles, set the Layer to Paint Below Creatures. This will let you put the tiles under both the creatures and the fog of war. They will be painted directly above the map/tiles layer of your play space. What's cool about this is you can have layers of a dungeon stacked and reveal them as the players decend (for instance) or a pit trap or false floor and so on.

Lots that this type of system opens up and the core reason we're looking to move all game objects to a marker system. What markers currently lacks is a snap to grid function however -- ironic I know!

upload_2017-3-14_12-25-28.png

Bloodwolf likes this.
  6. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh, one more note. if you LOCK the markers you won't get the click thru marker mode menu everytime someone clicks on the marker. You'll need to open the marker context menu from Game Tools to edit them, but this is ideal when using markers as tiles.

Bloodwolf likes this.
  7. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

That's why I've migrated to building all my maps in GIMP. No snap issues there. :)

Blind2karma likes this.
  8. Blind2karma

Blind2karma New Member

@owlbear - again great info,wow!

You've just exposed a whole new world of creation that (at least for me) was hidden inside d20pro all along. The additional knowledge that this area will be receiving more attention and improvements in the near future is icing on the cake:) From now on I'll refrain from making assumptions about what's possible with d20pro, and instead ask those who actually know here on the forums.

I also hear you are planning to revise the online manual or possibly changing it all together once things settle out. That for me would be great since RTM is my first stop when looking for these answers.

Thx again, with this information D20pro's stock just went up in my gaming software portfolio;)

Keep up the good work!

Edit -Taking my own advice I went back to "read the manual" and found the information you listed. It is all under the section labeled "Manually Specified" and now I know what that means:/

#8 Blind2karma, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Lonewolf147 likes this.
  9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Only the add of the markers folder may not be there. We did that with the last public release and, oh man, has it been nice.

To add additional use of the markers .. check out this thread:
    https://forums.mesamundi.com/index.php?threads/simulate-a-cave-in.4016/#post-15362

I just did some demos and examples there showing how to simulate a cave in.

Word of caution -- because I get stuck like this all the time -- when in marker mode you cannot move characters. You have to close the marker mode by closing the little back window at the top of the screen or closing the game tools menu to get back to normal game play.

So if you have markers on the map and don't want to find yourself accidentally stuck in marker mode, lock those suckers!

upload_2017-3-14_22-52-37.png

Bloodwolf and Lonewolf147 like this.