1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

One way sight possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lonewolf147, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

I like that I can create an open wall, it works great for obstacles and such. I'm wondering if it is currently possible to set up an open wall to be one way? That would let me place an open wall along a cliff edge, so you can see down but not see up. There would be other applications obviously. If this isn't currently available, can it become a feature request?

2. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Someone will correct me if I get some detail wrong. Originally Edges had a directionality so that you could paint an edge shape around an object. Light could go into the object and let players see the art, but stop the light from showing the other side of the object. They had some issues and had to disable that functionality of edges. I believe they plan to get it fixed someday and that would do what you're wanting.

3. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

Oh yeah, you know, I totally forgot about that since it wasn't there anymore. Do you, or anyone, know if that will work with open shapes? Not just closed polygons?

4. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I don't know...

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Single sided shapes are intended, but currently non-functional. The seeing down a cliff edge is a great example. Where things went wrong is that lights/vision at a 90-degree angle to the wall would pass-thru from both sides of a single sided shape. Once that bug is fixed edges get to be a whole lot more interesting.

Barring fixing the actual edge detection bug described above, we might be able to apply an elevation property to fog of war objects such that a given object can be block all elevations or a range of elevations. I'll have to think about that a bit more to get the logic sorted, but elevation might be a good solution to the cliff problem. It would introduce a lot of other issues tho... so, let's discuss, think, and get a solid plan in before doing any code changes. Also, trying to avoid new feature requests so we can get the Feature Library launched :)

Lonewolf147 likes this.
  6. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

Thanks Owlbear. Elevation has been something that I've drooled for for quite a while. I know there are plenty of other things going on so I never really pushed the request for it. I was super stoked to get vision/lighting!

Elevation would also be helpful for when you have a map with tunnels that go under and over each other. Currently, you have to block vision for one of them and just tell your players that the tunnel goes on and possibly even move them into the next area if needed.

Tay-Dor likes this.