1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Editing a map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Caraldur, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Caraldur

Caraldur Member

Hello everyone,

I have a question about maps and I'm not sure if this can be done or not.

I have created a map from a file, added a bunch of markers, and fog of war hexes for my Kingmaker Greenbelt map I made in CC3. I notice that I put the location of Oleg's trading post in the wrong place and have updated the map in Campaign Cartographer 3. Now I want to know if it is possible to replace the map file in ...\res\FLR\Kingmaker-Stolen Lands\ folder with the corrected one and will this automatically update the map in D20pro? I don't want to have to put all the markers and fog of war hexes on the new map again.

Thanks in advance.

-Car

2. Caraldur

Caraldur Member

Answered my own question.

Yes you can change the map in the campaign folder as long as the file name is the same.

-Car

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

You can also delete the background layer (map image) and place a new background layer using the Draw Tools > Manage Tile function.

4. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Funny, I just got on to ask this same question. Replacing the file didn't work for me. I renamed the original file instead of deleting it, just to keep it around. Then I put the new file in its place. When I opened the file in d20pro, it appeared all black. I checked and realized I had saved it as a JPG instead of PNG like the original had been. I then converted the new file to PNG and changed the extension, but it's still all black in d20pro. I even tried putting the original file back (just had to rename it), but no luck. If I have to redo all my FoW, I'm going to explode.

5. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I just did it using edwardcd's method, so I'm not panicked anymore. It's a tiny bit easier than navigating deep into d20pro to find the right folder and replacing the file.

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

This happens since d20Pro modifies the JPG image slightly to make it take less memory. Thus, if you saved the image in d20Pro as a JPG, it is best to use the Manage Tiles to change the background image. And, JPG is the preferred image format when playing online (it takes a lot less time to transmit map images).