1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

3.6.11 FoW and first shadowcast aaaaand fail. a little bit.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by templar12, Jan 22, 2017.

1. templar12

templar12 Member

Greetings, finally went to do my first shadowcast map, and I am stuck after several hours. Only interested in some areas shadowcasting, others regular FoW. Spent hours playing and fixing, and when done, room labelled lower48 is now disappeared. Cant bring it up, cant highlight it, can't do anything with it to bring it back. no matter what i do.......Attached map, can someone help? Let me know what I did wrong and or how to fix?

Attached Files:

2. templar12

templar12 Member

OK, i opened map today, drew walls on Region Lower 48 (which I had done before)...and now it worked. I have no idea why. Now problem is if you move character Toten into the space, his light is bleeding into the other rooms. PC's dont see the map, but it is another lighter black color that lets players see outlines of what is there.... I have the Lower 48 space masked and walled. Hmmmm.

Attached Files:

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I can look at this for you this evening and perhaps offer some pointers.

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Only one of the lights you have is assigned to a token (Toten). All of the lights except one, 'Shroom' are set to private, they are only visible to the light owner.

upload_2017-1-24_17-22-52.png

I'm guessing those other two lights should be assigned to Xami and Erky?

5. templar12

templar12 Member

Capture.PNG Capture.PNG Thank you, Krillion! The error originally was I could not get Room Lower 48 to even register in regular FoW nor the Shadowcast, regardless of light sources. When I reopened the map few days later, i redrew walls as before, set interact...and voila, now it worked. May have needed restart or cache clear? I don't know. Now when you place a PC token with light in it, it reacts to FoW, however, adjacent rooms appear lighter shade of black, not revealed, but you can see their shapes. black. I thought I have all masked, walls should block the light (it does) ....but those adjacent rooms now appear in said outline..... hmm.
    I have a screen capture. As you can see, i have rooms masked and walled, but the light "bleeds" into the map space....

#5 templar12, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I'd check that your map canvas color is set to true black.

upload_2017-1-26_1-18-37.png

upload_2017-1-26_1-18-12.png

7. templar12

templar12 Member

Thanks, Krill, :( It was white. I set it to black as recommended, but it did not fix the "bleed"
    The negative space is flat black. The map, hidden in FoW, masked and walled, is still lighter shade of black, revealing the outlines, same as before.

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Hmmm, curiously stumped on this one.. I'll see if i can rally some other eyes to have a look.

9. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

His region 48 wall in his picture is set to passive.

10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

nice spot check.. Tay is correct.

11. templar12

templar12 Member

Hello! Yes, I have it set to passive, I want that to be regular FoW, not light/shadow interactive because room is lit and I dont want to place light sources inside with the program. Somehow, the region works way I want. Now, the issue is the bleeding of the character's light, if activated and visible that highlights the other areas of the masked map in a different shade of black that gives away the map (my post listed in #5 of the thread)... I discover when I turn the light off in the passive regular FoW, the other masked areas of map now go flat black and are unidentifiable--hidden! I hope I am describing myself clearly and on same page as you are. Also, thanks again for your generous time and effort!

12. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

he meant the wall is set to passive. There are two set to passive, one is a mask (no problem), the other is a wall (could be why you are seeing the gray area)

13. templar12

templar12 Member

If I set the Region Lower 48 wall to "I" interactive, and the character has light activated, it completely blacks out with visibility whatsoever. If I set the region wall to "P" passive, then the room lights up, regardless or not if the character has light or not. If you load the map labelled copy copy copy in post #2.....maybe you can see what I mean.....or I have a some kind of programming bug????
    --or-- have i gone about this all wrong. Should I not be masking a room and walling it? Should I just be walling it with interactive on? And keeping all characters lights on? And not mix a map of shadowcasting and old fashioned FoW?

#13 templar12, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  14. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

couple of things.

a) you shouldn't use 'Hide Negative Space'; it's a legacy method and most likely will be removed in a future build. More importantly, it's resource intensive as well as really chunky.

the room you had a wall on was a Closed [solid] wall (Passive), should have been an Open Wall (interactive).

I stripped everything off the map and did a few rooms/areas to give a better idea of how to do it. You should be able to finish it off given the example.

upload_2017-1-29_0-12-52.png

Attached Files:

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

There's nothing preventing you from masking areas as Passive masks, or mixing in sections with walls and interactive masks.

16. templar12

templar12 Member

Thank you very much! I actually saw your new video tutorials and the latest on the interactive FoW cleared some things up for me as well. I, too, cleared everything off and started again and played around until i got everything working...mostly! It helped to understand the walls a bit better and how to block out all of that old "negative space." My entire map interacts now with shadows without revealing types. Instead of trying to utilize light and old FoW style, I just placed it all in Interactive until i learn to use it better. I appreciate your time and effort, and I will even download your map to see how you set it up. Good tip was tweaking the rules options to control auto-reveals, restricting light and focusing on player activating FoW.

Case dismissed!

Tay-Dor likes this.
  17. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Yah, I never let players auto-reveal, as it also auto-reveals doors. I put in a request to make a toggle for doors, so you can auto-reveal the masks, but not the doors.

18. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

request is on the list. just not ready yet. sorry Tay (and all)