1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Auto reveal doors

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by ncassella, Aug 16, 2016.

1. ncassella

ncassella Member

I'm pretty sure this is just going to be me, but I think it would be pretty helpful to have a way to auto open doors when the mask region they are being used in is revealed.

I tend to use the doors as windows in a lot of situations. and it would be cool to be able to tie the window to the mask so when someone walks into a hall way with a window it automatically appears vs me having to reveal it.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

You could set it to open/revealed when you design the map as a default, rather than doing it the converse way.. that would get you what you are after. along with the area still being hidden or revealed by a mask.

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

You can also ignore the door object if it's just going to auto reveal anyway. Instead have your masks hidden by default with the auto reveal action configured.

(also there's a bug! in the auto show check box... darn it)

Reactive Door.gif

so the bug in the menu is what's stopping you from getting the desired effect. To by-pass this until I get the fix out, check the FOW responds to lights check in the GM options panel and then click Auto reveal FOW -- then uncheck the responds to lights box unless you want lights to open doors.

The result of the auto reveal (on token) is shown above. As you can see the GM has all Masked areas revealed already, however, that wouldn't be required with these options set. The area and the door would just reveal. This is why I was suggesting that maybe doors aren't as necessary in your situation -- unless you've got two players seeing things from different sides... Anyway, I can come up with as many reasons to use doors with auto reveal as reasons to skip the doors, so my suggestion is to do what feels right for your game -- also don't hesitate to pause the action and add a door region or other blocker whenever you feel like it!! Mid game edits are the best ;)

4. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

*Casts raise dead topic*

So...how about a second toggle for Auto reveal doors? Because I would love to have masks auto reveal for player lights, but would like to not have doors auto-reveal.

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed. that seems more than reasonable. I think there's some logic in there to handle this if a door object is "locked" but I'll need to test again. My attention has certainly been elsewhere ;)

Tay-Dor likes this.
  6. BenMitchell1979

BenMitchell1979 New Member

Is there anyway to trigger a request to 'reveal' for doors - like the old FOW days when players entered a FOW area and the DM would get a request to reveal? That way if the players walk up to the door and bump the trigger - it won't just open for them before we can get the RP part out the way (ie listen for sounds, Knock and call out "Room Service!" <-- Yes I have those kinds of PCs in my Group)..

7. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes! @Tay-Dor strongly dislikes it but you can do this using the three options here to control how Fog of War regions react to lights and/or players. Right now doors react just like other regions -- thus the current fix issue pending.

upload_2017-3-15_11-53-57.png

8. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Strongly dislike is...well..a bit strong. :p

9. Whirlingdervish

I am against anything that sends requests to the DM .... Interacting with fog of war, Players updating a character sheet or even making attacks times that by six every thirty to sixty seconds. In my group it has done nothing but slow the game down but thats just me

10. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I don't mind it, but I'm a control freak anyway. :)