1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Mindmaps

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by Wesley Gorby, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Hey..

For many-many years I always kept hand notes (notebooks or index cards) as GM to detail out my adventures and worlds. A couple of years ago I started looking at "mindmaps' and have been using them ever since. You can add images, notes and even weblinks if you need to.

As you can see it's a nice way to visualize how everything is linked together and relates to everything else. The software I use is free for private use as well..

anyone else use this kind of thing?

Attached Files:

2. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

Yup. I use a program called Vue, also free. I sketch out a top level diagram, with branches to decide how things might (but probably won't ;-) turn out, then detail and eliminate unused branches as the campaign progresses.

Here's one from near the end of a small campaign:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3024799/Campaign.jpeg

3. Gnorr

Gnorr New Member

I have been using Mindmaps for both work and play for 10+ years by now.

Two current software recommendations:

1) Freeplane/Freemind (free): Works quite well, crossplatform (Java, Win/Mac/Linux). I have recently started to use two power features: a) Link a node to an external URL (to link to the appropriate page on d20pfsrd.com for monsters/spells/items/special rules); b) Link to an external file (e.g., Word .doc or OpenOffice .odt, to open NPC or location descriptions). So, with a single click, I can get at the precise info that I require.

2) Curio (commercial, Mac only): This one I started using just a few days ago. The power is amazing! In addition to the File/URL links mentioned for Freemind, I can also manage maps directly in the program. E.g., I can jump from a map feature to the mindmap node describing that room, or click a mind map node to jump to the map at the specific location described by that node. I can also link a mindmap node to a specific page in a PDF, and then with a single click jump to that page in the PDF viewer (Skim, in my case).

The efficiency of my GM prep-work has improved tremendously using these tools! I have basically gone entirely paperless in the last few months.

4. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I personally use Realmsworks because it will do the exact same thing and will also add how the different topics feel towards each other.

5. Whirlingdervish

Realmworks, The keep, Excel documents, word documents,evernote

6. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I've used both Realmworks and The Keep. I'm a big fan of the keeps simplicity but realmworks is huge and powerful.

Realmworks can be daunting to get into, but once you're in... it's where it's at!

7. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I agree with Owlbear. The biggest problem I have with Realm Works is reminding myself to not continue to add more and more detail when don't need to. I personally love Realm Works because it can be both simple and very complex if you need it to be and still be interconnected.

I personally map with Campaign Cartographer 3, build and track stories with Realm Works, build and track PCs, NPCs, and monsters with Hero Lab, and table top play with d20.

8. Whirlingdervish

currently i use Realm works as a place holder for information although i have been inputting b4 the lost city into its own realm as i update the monsters in herolab.

For mapping i play with hexographer, inkarnate, Other World Mapper, Campaign Cartographer 3+, Fractal Terrains, and Fractal Mapper (it has a built in scenario builder). for 5e I output my monsters and NPC in a custom output rather than a full character sheet.

[​IMG]

9. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member