1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Showing art inside edged pilars.

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by Bloodwolf, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I found a sort of work around for edges not allowing light in to the pillars to show the art. I have been putting a basic light with no fill color inside the edged in area. The only problem I have found with it is once you make the mask visible over the area the section inside the edged area is visible even if the players light is no longer there. At the moment I'm looking at creating secondary masks over them that I can retoggle once the players move off if it is important. Or leave as is if it isn't.

Either way this allows the players to see the art inside the edged in area like the video from Owlbear and still casts shadows. It ain't perfect but it works.

Tried it with doors but they still didn't show because they act as masks also.

2. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I like this idea. Although with the shadow casting still being a bit laggy, I find the fewer lights on a map, the better. Once its better optimized, this is definitely the way to go.

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Another option is to not use a perimeter object.

upload_2016-7-19_22-3-37.png

or...

upload_2016-7-19_22-4-55.png

the red light is just to make it clearer in the screen shots.

Something to keep in mind if you were not aware. You can draw "open" objects using the "Open" selection (instead of "Closed") in the Draw tab of Game Tools.

This lets you draw straight lines and such. An "Open" object is really a double backed polygon though, so you can do some cool manipulations with it to block areas you don't want players to have line of sight too.

Another trick to keep in mind is that the light lives in the center of your creatures and has a slight size to it. This means that you can cause lights to blink out if a creature moves too far into a wall region. With an edge, you can force a light to only shine on the enclosed area (if it's poly area).

Just some thoughts until I can get the logic working for edges working as originally spec'd out again.