1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Tiles - Moveable by player

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Lonewolf147, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

Can ownership be added to Tiles so that players can move them too? If players are in a boat, or have a light source, or aura tile on them and I make it sticky, only I as the GM can move it around. It would be nice if the player can move themselves around on a sticky tile.

Also, is it possible to make a token sticky to the tile? Right now, if you turn on sticky, you can move the tile and all tokens move with it. But, if you grab a token, you can move that token off of the tile. It would be nice to be able to move the tile when you move the token.

2. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

Hoping to get a reply on this one too. Thanks.

3. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

You could make te boat a token.

The aura you could do with the light system.

4. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

That would be possible, but, tokens are limited on size and shape. They are always square and can only go to colossal (5x5).

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Map markers do this currently.

Players can have ownership of markers. Additionally, we released an update to markers which let you have arbitrary shapes and sizes.

upload_2017-3-1_11-41-41.png

The above is a 41x15 grid space hammer ship. Now, tokens don't "stick" currently, but updates are planned for the marker system in the relatively near future -- post feature library launch.

also, The marker can be rotated from a right click menu!

upload_2017-3-1_11-43-18.png

upload_2017-3-1_11-46-7.png

Lonewolf147 likes this.
  6. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

FYI - Our plan is to add sticky map markers. Specifically we're going to do it using the same system we developed for Lights -- since a light can be tethered to a creature.

7. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

ack. realized I was assuming knowledge of how to add new art to the markers area.

Here's a quick blow by blow on how to manually add new marker art -- right now there's no UI to do this.

1. Open Options from the D20PRO menu
    2. Go to the GM Tab
    3. Click the folder icon in the upper left

upload_2017-3-1_13-19-0.png

This will pop up a native file browser to your campaign folder.
    upload_2017-3-1_13-22-16.png
    1. Navigate to \res\ManuallySpecified\markers
    2. Drag and drop your images (or save them) to this folder
    upload_2017-3-1_13-22-50.png

The images should propagate to the player and/or GM during play depending on who added them.

8. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

Wait... are you saying you got rid of the markers.zip file and finally went to an actual directory structure for it? I totally missed this! That was something I asked for a while ago! I love markers because of their versatility. The only thing I liked more about Tiles was the sticky. You just made my day Owlbear!

Tay-Dor likes this.
  9. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

Also, is there a limit to how many items can be in the marker directory? Tiles do not seem to care (I have thousands and thousands of accessible images). I just copied over my one Objects folder with about 10k items in it and the campaign now crashes when I try to start it with the error:
    Unexpected throwable initializing app.
    The application has run out of memory and may now be unstable. Please exit the application, increase the java heap size, and try again. (GC overhead limit exceeded).

I'm guessing that the program actually loads all markers into memory, unlike tiles and images that it only loads as needed?

10. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

marker.zip not a requirement anymore -- just a convenient way to ship you files... just drop your raw assets (including animated gifs) into the markers directory while the app is running!!

yeah, file space limit is about the cap... you haven't got a 3TB drive for markers, good luck finding the one you want!

Lonewolf147 likes this.