1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

[Tutorial] Making a Creature with Spells Through Effects

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by edwardcd, Jun 22, 2011.

1. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Making a Creature with Spells Through Effects
    (Pathfinder rules, PFS Pregen character level 4)

Example 1

Ezren
    Male human wizard 4
    NG Medium humanoid
    Init +0; Senses Perception +6

Defense
    AC 11, touch 10, flat-footed 11 (+1 armor)
    hp 26 (4d6+8)
    Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +7

Offense
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee cane +2 (1d6)
    Ranged light crossbow +2 (1d8/19–20)

Special Attacks
    hand of the apprentice (7/day, +6 ranged)

Wizard Spells Prepared (CL 4th)
    2nd—glitterdust (DC 16), scorching ray (2, DC 17)
    1st—cause fear (DC 15), mage armor, magic missile (2)
    0 (at will)—acid splash (DC 14), detect magic, disrupt undead (DC 14), light

Statistics
    Str 11, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 19, Wis 15, Cha 10

Base Atk +2; CMB +2; CMD 12

Feats
    Combat Casting, Eschew Materials, Great Fortitude, Spell Focus (evocation)

Skills
    Diplomacy +1, Knowledge (arcana) +11, Knowledge (geography) +10, Knowledge (history) +11, Knowledge (local) +11, Perception +6, Spellcraft +11

Languages
    Common, Draconic, Elven, Giant, Goblin

SQ arcane bond (cane), cantrips, spellbook (contains all PRPG cantrips and prepared spells as well as acid arrow, burning hands, detect undead, obscuring mist, shield, shocking grasp, and web)

Combat Gear
    alchemist’s fire (2), scroll of burning hands, wand of magic missile (CL 1st, 50 charges); Other Gear backpack, bracers of armor +1, cane (as club), cloak of resistance +1, dagger, light crossbow and 20 bolts, pearl of power (1st), scroll case, spell component pouch, spellbook, 10 gp

Let's create the character in d20Pro...
    (pictorial guide)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: The Edit Effect (Save) (Load) "Acid Splash (Successful ranged touch attack)" is the first spell in my effects/spell database. We are creating new effects in this tutorial without saving or loading from the effects/spell database.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will notice the spells that use a ranged touch in the Attack and the Ability tabs. I have my pre-generated bad-guys, NPCs, and PCs use the Ability first to keep track of resources, then make the appropriate roll in their attacks window. Ones such as 0 level spells where they can use unlimited amount, I just have them use the attack window first. If one gets a save, then if they are successful with their ranged attack, we will use the ability second (such as the case in Disrupt Undead, gets a Will save for half damage).

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

Impressive.

Most Impressive!

3. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

Yeah, that is the way I have been wanting to do it for some time now.It looks like it will work a lot nicer than the current spell system.

4. Mandos

Mandos New Member

Thanks, this was incredibly helpful. It brings up a real need for d20Pro: scalability. It would be very powerful to define an ability like "Lightning Bolt" and have it scale to caster level, but for right now this more than works.

Again, much thanks!

5. Mandos

Mandos New Member

Edward,

1) what's the benefit/trade-off between using the "S" (spell) function to "cast" a spell vs. using abilities? If I've defined an effect ("Spell (3): Lightning Bolt CL7," for example), I could "cast" the spell from the "S" function in combat, or I could give the NPC/PC an ability and use the ability, and in both cases I have cast the spell.

2) How do I track spells cast for spontaneous casters? I see how I can use an ability with X/X times per day cast to track spells as a resource for a Wizard/Cleric, but I can't do that for a spontaneous caster, who can cast X # of total spells but are open to what is the particular spell cast?

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Spell Function for Spells
    Benefit: Accurate count of spells used, both for spontaneous casters and memorized spells.
    Limitation: Unable to save pre-defined DC's for Will/Ref/Fort Saves. Unable to save a pre-defined duration. Must pick the effect after choosing the spell from the effects load feature, or enter in the details each time a spell is cast.

Ability Function for Spells
    Benefit: Accurate count of spells used for memorized spells. Ability Function saves DC's for Will/Ref/Fort Saves along with a pre-defined duration. Can use the ability and apply the effects to any creature quicker than using the Spell Function.
    Limitation: Spontaneous casters must utilize another Ability Function as a counter for remaining spells of each level for proper record keeping. For memorized spell casters there is a lot more modifying the Ability Tab depending what the player memorizes for that particular day (Even if you have all the spells that the memorized spell caster can cast as Abilities, you will have a lot of entries with 0/0 per day - since you can't memorize every single spell)

Create another Ability named: "Level 1 Spell" and "Level 2 Spell" and etc. Give the number of uses per day equal to how many spells that the spontaneous caster can cast for each given spell level. Then all the known spells are listed as 1/will, meaning they can cast these at will, as long as the player uses the level spell counter first.

How it plays in the game:
    1) Player uses the Ability "Level 3 Spell", then GM confirms use.
    2) Player uses the Ability "Spell(3): Fireball" and selects their targets(either manually, or via the template autofill target feature) and confirms, then GM confirms use and applies damage.
    (If Player doesn't use the Ability "Level X Spell" the GM cancels any Spell (X) Ability)

7. Mandos

Mandos New Member

Thank you Curtis--that's enormously helpful.

8. Althafain

Althafain New Member

This seems like a pretty good method, but how would I handle Ray of Enfeeblement?

I could have the player make the attack first, then use the ability, but then the ability doesn't get used up if the attack is unsuccessful.

I could have the player use the ability first, then check if it hits, but then the effect would get applied even if the attack were unsuccessful.

What is the most graceful way to handle something like this?

9. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

First, setup a touch attack with 0 damage.
    [​IMG]

Second, setup each effect -1 through -6 (since the number depends on a random roll, and half effect if save passes.)
    [​IMG]

How I handle Ray of Enfeeblement
    1) Spend spell slot.
    2) Submit touch attack.
    3) Save manually (with hotkeys)
    4) Roll manually (1d6)
    5) Apply effect (full or half).

10. LtlBtyRam

LtlBtyRam New Member

I'm really new to d20Pro so I'm probably missing a step somewhere, and this has nothing to do with the effects. I can't get the custom AC button to come up when I'm trying to input creatures. I've imported the Pathfinder ruleset and am using the 3.2.0 and even in the beta version can not get the custom AC screen to put in CMD. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Angela

11. ChrisRevocateur

It's actually rather easy. See, downloading the Pathfinder ruleset only provides you the files, it does not set your options. Go to the Options menu, then under the Judge tab are three text boxes, labeled "Custom Defense 1," "Custom Defense 2," and "Custom Defense 3." Set 1 to be CMD, 2 = FFCMD, 3 = SR.

12. LtlBtyRam

LtlBtyRam New Member

13. Remaker

Remaker Member

My own group has been using this workaround ourselves, but I still don't understand why we can't just save DCs and duration to spells and not need a weird work around to begin with. I've been with D20 for years and have been disappointed to see resources being used on ancillary things like more complicated FoW systems and in-game stores rather than basic functions like a spell tab that lacks so much functionality that the official response to emulate it with an entirely different feature.

This is coming from someone who loves D20 Pro and has convinced others to buy it, but everyone in my group is frustrated with the direction that development has been going.

14. ChrisRevocateur

I agree with pretty much everything you say, but I want them to keep working on the FoW system. This stopgap solution between the grid based and the eventual dynamic FoW is, to me, less useful and far more complicated than the old grid based system.

15. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

It wasn't an "official" response, since I've joined the team after the original post (I joined the d20Pro team 2nd Quarter of 2012).

And guess what? :) Here's the official response: This issue has been fixed in v3.3.4 along with many other issues people have reported, and this was a necro thread for a workaround while it was being fixed. :) This fix was announced when the update was released on social media (and thus our main webpage), however, many people just focused on Fog of War stuff. Perhaps in the future we should also have forum posts so they persist and can help new and existing users alike :)

I keep close tabs on the forums (and even if I don't post anything, I am still monitoring progress) :) My goal is to make d20Pro easier to use and require less time for GM's to prep their game - because I run games from d20Pro just like you do. So, I hope I have restored some of your trust with the d20Pro team as we look at how far we have come and where we are headed in the future. :) Remaker, if you have additional concerns please PM me.