1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Put doors down first.

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by Tay-Dor, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I'm finding its easier to place the door masks down first. Just all around easier to manipulate them and move them around without all the other masks in the way.

That's my tip.

kinwolf likes this.
  2. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Another thing you can do is add "mid" points to doors. Once they're placed, go into edit mode and add points where the walls touch. This will allow you to quickly use snap to knot to place walls which seamlessly line up with your doors.

3. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Cool. Wouldn't work too well for me as most of the door images I use are thinner than the standard paint door object. So I've gotta make my shadowcasting doors super thin so the players will see the image and know there's a door there. :)

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

it would be cool if the doors shape already had those knot points in place.

|............|
    *............*
    |............|

ncassella and Tay-Dor like this.
  5. David

David New Member

()

Back in the tutorial video from May of last year, it talks about 'normals' and inverting the 'normals' at the 15:30 mark. Is that still an option? It looks like that would solve your issue Tay-Dor. Mine to to be honest.

6. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Normals were pulled some time back (nasty bug there), I'm not sure what their status is as to being reincorporated.

7. Ualaa

Ualaa Member

I found with doors and walls...

I was painting a door, and then switching to walls, for small barracks within a city district I had mapped.
    And then being on the wall tool, I did the walls for the next barracks and then switched to the doors.
    And then being on the door tool, did the initial doors first and then switched tools to walls...

When it came time to place the masks...
    Those where the door was placed first, were very easy to toggle on/off, via clicking the masks.
    But the ones where the walls were placed first, and then the door, the program didn't allow those rooms to have the visibility toggled easily.

It's neat and interesting that with Shadowcasting on a room, with a door placed before the walls, when the mask is clicked you can see around the building, as if it weren't there (because Shadowcasting is not set to interactive) but it still blocks the interior of the room from sight.
    That's a neat effect, which was not expected.

If the shadowcasting could be toggled, whether the wall was placed first or the door, that would speed up placing doors/walls for rooms.

I generally make my map in an external program (Campaign Cartographer 3 Plus, and it's expansion Dungeon Designer 3 Plus).
    And then paint my walls, set a little ways into those made in CC3+, so the walls are clearly visible as what is blocking the player line of sight.
    As far as doors go, the CC3+ doors cut the wall when placed...

So essentially, if I want an open door, I place a door (which cuts the wall), then delete the closed door (which now has a door sized opening) and place an open door.
    If I want a closed door, I hit Control while placing the door, and oversize the door to 2.5-3x normal size, so it protrudes from the visible wall.
    Then when I'm in d20Pro and painting walls to block line of sight, the door is clearly visible if it's closed.
    If it's something the players may open/force open at some point, it has to be painted as a door first, and then the walls built around the door.