1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Mapping Software

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by heruca, Mar 5, 2017.

1. DungeonFog

DungeonFog New Member

Hey there :) The dungeonfog guys have arrived!
    Thanks for letting us join the conversation :)

2. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for jumping in!

3. Josh Scott

Josh Scott New Member

OK what nerd level am I at for being stoked on this conversation? Competitors having a friendly public convo about developing details?!

4. DungeonFog

DungeonFog New Member

Thanks for having us here! How about I introduce myself a little bit.
    I'm Till, and together with Thomas, Herbert and Theresa we started DUNGEONFOG. I have been playing Hero Quest and D&D when I was in my teens, but then lost the connection to it somehow. About two years ago my co-worker Thomas introduced the idea to start an office game (it was Pathfinder then). So we started playing and I offered to be the game master. Since I am a graphic designer, it didn't take long until I decided to draw my own maps, but I soon realized that there seemed to be a lack of viable tools out there. I mean, there is Photoshop, which I have been working for years with, but regarding the other software I was - to be honest - disappointed. So I sticked with PS for a while. But even PS can cost you nerves, when you try to draw maps quickly and I was starting to feel that need for a tool that is mostly like Photoshop, but specially designed for map creation. Last year we had a project for a client, where we basically had to develop a tool to create/draw online-posters. I asked Herbert, if he could re-model that for me as game master and we started to talk about it. That's how the idea was born.

@Josh:
    Well – we are in some ways competitors – but d20pro is a virtual-game-table that now offers a solid way to create maps directly connected to the VGT. MapForge (which I backed btw.) is the successor of Dundjinni (if I got that right) and focuses on tile-based maps, with a huge community that already owns a ton load of tiles and is well connected. We are – let's call it – mini-photoshop and focus on the fusion of maps and game master notes. So even if we touch the same targetgroup, we still satisfy different needs. Wouldn't it be more fruitful for all of us, if we share experiences and exchange us, than work against each other?

5. DungeonFog

DungeonFog New Member

The problem is the storage and ongoing server maintenance.
    Even if you pause your subscription, you will want to keep the maps you have created. And that needs server space.
    We had that discussion too. Our solution was, to allow the user to downgrade back to "free version" and keep everything stored for up to 12 month.

wigwam likes this.
  6. Josh Scott

Josh Scott New Member

@DungeonFog Did you think I was being sarcastic? Yes, this conversation is fantastic.

7. DungeonFog

DungeonFog New Member

No, no! Sorry if I gave you that impression. It IS fantastic :D

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Even if we're all producing similar products, workflow, feature and the rest are key. And unlike the Adobe's or Autodesk's out there, we're all small teams who a bit of shared knowledge, experience, and what not is good thing.

(also, I'm stoked by this conversation too!)

9. heruca

heruca Member

Hi, DungeonFog. Good to see you on here, and welcome to the party.

I wanted to clarify a couple of things.

MapForge is a "spiritual successor" to Dundjinni, but I am in no way affiliated or endorsed by Dundjinni Enterprises or Fluid Entertainment. I'm just a former DJ user who tried and failed to get DJ2 made and is now trying to create an all-new tool to do the sort of mapping that DJ was famous for (highly detailed battlemaps).

MapForge is going to be a full-featured map-making app, with which you can make maps from scratch, if you wish. The current prototype only shows ONE method (making maps out of pre-made tiles), but there will be other methods, including (but not limited to) random map generation (more on that soon).

Yes, we will in some fashion be competitors, but there's no reason we can't all get along and even have friendly discussions, as this thread should prove. RPG cartography may be a niche market, but it should be large enough to support a number of indie companies. We'll even share customers, since I've seen people who seem to collect mapping software, in order to have a diverse set of tools for making any sort of map imaginable.

I'm looking forward to seeing how each of our programs develops, and to seeing a marked improvement in the quality of posted RPG maps a year from now.

10. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

totally agree. Although I think we've all be heads down working on our respective projects.

Quite frankly art tools and creation tools benefit from a bit of normalization. Ubiquitous interface design is the root success of the windows platform, for instance. In our cases, we're looking to solve the same problems.

In my previous incarnations I've been involved in many competitive fields which host and maintain forums for competitors to share insights and work together to better the field. This thread and our frank discussions have been in that vein. We'll do what needs doing to make mapping easier and more accessible for everyone whether they're using World Engine, Map Forge or Dungeon Fog -- to name a very specific few!

11. heruca

heruca Member

Congrats to the World Engine team on such a great start to the KS campaign!

12. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Back at'cha MapForge team :) good job blowing away those records on funding goals!

It is a very exciting time indeed!

13. heruca

heruca Member

Thanks! Couldn't be happier with this finish. I had thought it was going to peter out.

14. DungeonFog

DungeonFog New Member

Yeah, congrats from us here at Austria too! You blew through the roof!
    And the World Engine campaign is also performing great!

What a wonderful time to be a game master :)

We launched today: http://kck.st/2mHfGfT

15. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Wow...the DM notes are an interesting component.

16. heruca

heruca Member

You're off to a great start, DungeonFog!

I like the idea of offering a press kit. I might do that the next time I run a KS.

17. DungeonFog

DungeonFog New Member

Since it is our first Kickstarter campaign, we got help from Backercamp. They did a great job with coaching us and helping us with preparations.

18. heruca

heruca Member

Congrats to the World Engine team on a very successful KS campaign!

19. DungeonFog

DungeonFog New Member

Congrats to you World Engine! We watched your campaign with almost equal excitement to our own :)
    BTW, I love your town > world zoom function!

Today we also finished our campaign- Yay!
    Now it's three new mapping tools funded and in development. This is an awesome year for game masters!

Best,
    Till

20. heruca

heruca Member

Congrats on a very successful campaign, DungeonFog! I didn't realize it was ending today.