1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

5E Rules and Tutorials

Discussion in 'D&D 5th Edition' started by Slagmoth, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Slagmoth

Slagmoth New Member

I purchased the platform and may have done so prematurely. I am happy with the amount of customization that is possible but the documentation seems to be outdated or nonexistent for some aspects of the application.

1. First, is there a way for me to remove the damage types? 5E doesn't have 'Epic', 'Evil' and many of these others that were present in 3.X and PF.
    2. Got my second concern to work actually, so I will play around with others for practice.
    3. Third, I can't find anything but the template for resistance as a basis for doing something as simple as doing immunity (like a fire elemental's immunity to fire).
    4. Fourth, Is there a way to correct the preparation of spells for 5E as it appears this still uses the Vancian from 3.X and PF?
    5. Fifth, spell save DCs are apparently done like 3.X as well, is there currently a work around?

I totally understand that this is a work in progress and I admit I am still new to the interface and still trying to muddle my way through all of this. Any direction will help speed up my learning curve and get us started on filling in the gaps to make this ready for our weekly campaign.

We have been playing 5E for quite some time now and as 3 of us are developers and very nearly created our own VTT before I found this one, we are looking for ways to help the community when/if we make modifications on our clientside.

Also, a point in the right direction to the JS API libraries used for this would be excellent as I seem to have missed them in the plethora of various documents and wikis out there.

Thanks.

#1 Slagmoth, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

From the question you are asking, I curious if you are indeed using a PF ruleset, rather than a 5E one?

3. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

4. Slagmoth

Slagmoth New Member

I certainly hope I am not using the PF section, it would be odd since it shows a proficiency bonus on the template. I will double check that tonight. I also did stumble across what appears to be the javascript API definitions page so I will be going through that after the developer's conference today.

Will let you know if it is a simple PEBCAK error ;)

5. Slagmoth

Slagmoth New Member

Ok, so I double checked and I am on the 5E ruleset but when I look at the script for the 5E spell DC it still references the feature level and I don't see anything in the API document that will get me the proficiency bonus which is a key component in 5E rules. Am I missing something?

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I suspect that is woefully out of date and will likely do more harm than good.

caster.resolveBAB() will get you the Prof Bonus

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

The mechanic still exists in 5E, there are still Prepared & Known Spells. Even Sorcerers still have Known spells.

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

These are done by clicking the field next to ER on the character sheet.

upload_2017-9-8_15-49-26.png

Then checking the proper boxes for the things you need.

upload_2017-9-8_15-48-42.png

9. Slagmoth

Slagmoth New Member

Excellent, thank you.

Is there a more up to date version to be found anywhere?

As for the damage types I was referring to this screen:
    upload_2017-9-8_16-11-49.png

I tried to find a file with this information on it in the root folders but was unable to find anything except when I "decompiled" the character exports, which leads me to believe I would need to edit the base template from where all creatures originate.

Thanks for the point at the ER section missed that somehow. I was trying to make an on-equip type way of doing it through the traits section, which if I make a ring of resistance/immunity would make sense as well.

Liking things so far, just need to get over the hump on the learning curve so I can get my players on track this week. Thanks for answering my questions and I apologize if they seem somewhat pedantic.

10. Slagmoth

Slagmoth New Member

Yes the spell slots still progress much like the old Vancian but the preparation of spells Wizards/Clerics, for example, is different (PHB 114). Your sample Wizard has a level of 4 and an int of 15 (+2) this means that she can only prepare 6 spells per day, but it shows 7 prepared. It also appears that, unless I missed something (entirely possible), I can't have all 6 of my spells as only first level. This is true for Known Spell users as well, they have the option of learning higher level spells but they don't have to, they can take lower level ones and leave the upper slots open for "Heightening" the spell to coin a 3.X/PF phrase.

Example: A 3rd level Sorcerer has 4 known spells but has 4 first level slots and 2 second level slots. She could have Burning Hands, Color Spray, Disguise Self and Magic Missile as her known spells, none of which are 2nd level.

Is there a work around for this?

It also only shows 4 cantrips for the example Wizard and being a High Elf she should have 5 and I can't seem to add a 5th one.

#10 Slagmoth, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Use Freeform for extra spells as a stop gap fix, until Bonus spells per stat is sorted out.

12. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

The learning curve is pretty steep right now, not normally so exaggerated as it currently is. We've significantly change part of the Engine to allow for other game systems and used 5E as our test bed to work all that out. SO, things are a bit of an odd duck at the moment.. no cause for alarm though, it'll be sorted out in short order. We are also trying to get new docs worked up for those changes, but that's slow going given the complexity of the task and amount to cover.

I would not suggest de-compiling assets or cracking the Jar, it's a hard enough road without changing how things work on your own. just my 2 coppers.

An update to the damage and source types lists is in route.

13. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

what version are you currently using?

if you don't mind it, there is a Beta 3.7.1.10 under testing atm. it can be found at http://pubs.d20pro.com/Public_Beta/3.7.1.10/

Though, please keep it separate from stable games or standard release version installs. I suggest installing into something like c:\D20PRO-Beta\ or the like.

14. Slagmoth

Slagmoth New Member

3.7.1 is my current version.

I was not going to decompile the jar, I just was looking at the xml for the templates on the exports. Mainly was looking to create some sort of import as I have a great many of the monsters already in JSON, it would save me time on data entry if I knew where things went.

I would be happy to take a look at beta version. Is there a more direct feedback venue for it so as not to tie up the forums?

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Forums and Discord are here for just that reason :)