1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Saving spell effects Official Players Handbook purchased

Discussion in 'D&D 5th Edition' started by Markehm, Oct 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Markehm

Markehm New Member

Hey all

I am loading spells into my characters from the 5E official content.

When I test play the character in combat, there is not spell effect.

The spell has no content to apply, whether it is damage effects or even info for the dm to create a area effect.

No damage from magic missile for example.

How do I set this up?
    Is the effect not already included in the Official 5E content I purchased for 300gold?

A little frustrated over here.

Throw me a bone please.

Cheers

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

The PHB was put out early, in order to allow people to see examples of working with the new software mechanics. It's due for an update here shortly, that will fix a lot of things and add in most if not all the spell mechanics.

I do believe the Beta is coming out towards the end of the week, that will allow for the PHB data to be updated. I don't have an exact timeframe at this point when the PHB data update will be announced. I'll post about it as soon as I have more information.

3. Markehm

Markehm New Member

:(
    Soooooo, why did you allow me to spend full price on an incomplete product? It's friday night my time, where is the update?
    The product has been available since August.. it is almost October... and it is still incomplete?

You took my full money for something that has literally no value above SRD? Wheres the update? Why wasn't it advertised as incomplete?

Where is the Monster Manual as promised?

Seriously. Where do I get a refund?

4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello Markehm.

We're working really hard to build out the MM and such. The PHB update with the additional, (free to purchases for the PHB), feature effects is due along side the 3.7.2 update which has been the core delay.

We're pretty darn close to release.

As to the SRD vs. PHB release and why did this release without the automation it was a combination of things.

1. we were unaware of the content update bug which forced us to delay the additional product launches
    2. wotc encouraged us to release as is because it provided the same if not better options than our competitors for the same price
    3. a combination of timing, marketing and more -- we'd been approved to build and sell wotc content for months but kept getting pushed aside for other releases by other folks.

The end result was a massively shifting release plan which cost us dearly. Originally the plan had been to release two products, the wotc requested content PHB and a rules automation add-on. When we finally got the window and no blockers preventing us from releasing, wotc also informed us that we had to charge less then we'd been planning due to their agreements with Curse. Long as we were losing the additional revenue AND having been horribly delayed, we decided that we'd provide the rules automation as a free update to everyone who purchases the PHB.

I ask you to please bare with us just a couple more weeks, I plan to release a stable beta/release candidate for 3.7.2 next week and then launch 3.7.2 fully the week after -- so long as there are no major issues discovered.

The PHB update will happen immediate after that. If that's not sufficient for you, you can absolutely request a refund -- just PM me or email support.

Thanks and good gaming.
    - Owlbear

5. Markehm

Markehm New Member

So, I will give you guys the benefit of the doubt.

I was stuck running the first session of my campaign, adding DM damage for spell effects. It wasn't the end of the world.
    To be fair, adding the name of spells to characters was easy as there was a list to choose from. But on the other hand having to mete out damage by hand with no auto processing was disappointing for the players.

I sincerely hope you can get this resolved in the timeline stated.

IF not, then I will request a refund.

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

7. Markehm

Markehm New Member

So here it is a couple of weeks later. I gave you guys the benefit of the doubt, I've waited patiently for 19days

There is no new release yet. I saw the beta update page and it's not done.
    Your software is non functional in the D&D 5E world.
    So I guess there is no new players handbook update yet.

Also, in reality if we want to be a DM and have the players cast a spell and have it do ANY damage, we have to use the FLOW portion of the description of the spell and PROGRAM it ourselves.

You said I could manually edit the handful of spells I use.....Well there is no instructions anywhere on how to use the FLOW system... it is as clear as mud.

Finally I have a job and don't have the time to:
    write a campaign,
    be creative,
    run the campaign
    and program the software that I PURCHASED to do what it is supposed to do in the first place so I don't have to program anything.

If I buy a playstation game or music software for my studio; it works. They don't tell me that functionality is limited, or we released it too soon or we were screwed by the company we partnered with. They release it when it is ready. And they certainly don't charge me for it and ask me to wait until they feel like fixing it.

You guys introduced D&D 5E players handbook in JULY!! It is Nov 12.

What a waste of money.... Your D&D 5e sales of licensed material is a scam. Plain and simple. Also you are asking for volunteers to write the instruction manual!

Seems like all you guys know how to do is take. Take on too many projects, take too much time, take advantage of people and take their money.

:mad:

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I'd beg to differ on that point, myself and many many other successfully run 5e just fine as the software stands and have very little issue doing so. We've offered suggestions and there is a large community of people here who are more than willing to help you along, myself included.

No, as stated prior, the PHB update is awaiting the 3.7.2 update for mechanical reasons. The 3.7.1.19 RC was put out just afew days ago in preperation. Things are moving ahead as fast as humanly possible.

This a 100% false annology. PS and Xbox constantly have bugs in their systems and software they sell, most titles are updated and continued to be worked on for a long time after their release. None of them are bug free.

Yes, with such a small team, these things take time to do, especially with such a large undertaking.

We sure are, many companies do. Our community is extremely knowledgeable as to how the software works, the best way to do things and how to get the software to do things we never expected it to do. Why wouldn't we be thankful for and take advantage of that knowledge base. It allows us to know what they like, what they don't like and where they want the software to go as GMs and players.

unlike a lot of other companies, we have a very strong direct line to our user base and there is a LOT of communication between the two camps (dev & users). We've worked pretty hard to foster that. It's a pretty rare thing to find these days, where any user can directly speak to a lead code writer pretty much at any given time of day and get an answer in that same day or within minutes or hours.

It's unfortunate this is your perception. I think you will find, that our PHB even in it's current state is directly in line with any other VTTs version of the same material. The automation is a bonus, not a requirement, none of the other VTTs offer such automation. All of that has to be done by hand.

Again, It's unfortunate this is your perception. As I have said, there is a large community of people here who are more than happy to help you along, assist you here, on discord, on skype and many other venues. Do chats or video calls to get you where you want to be. All you have to do is ask. We can't force you to take advantage of that amazing community and wealth of knowledge.

I'd be happy to discuss this with you directly if you like, however I'd like to do so in a live medium such as discord. It's far too easy for miscommunication and tone via msg board.

#8 Wesley Gorby, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

and just this morning ...

upload_2017-11-12_10-38-18.png

10. Markehm

Markehm New Member

So, where is 3.7.2?
    update please.

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

You'll notice, he said "pretty darn close", not by this day.

[EDIT: Owlbear] I have not given a date for this release because the problem that's stopping the 3.7.2 launch is a giant pile of unknowns which I'm sorting through.[End: Edit]

If you wish micro-updates, I suggest joining our Discord.

[EDIT: Owlbear] What @Krilion_GD is trying to say is that if you'd like the most up-to-date status on anything, hit us up on Discord. The reason for this is that pushing through the forums takes a lot of time and leaves the work flow I'm building inside of for D20PRO. Thus I pop in to forum land as much as I can, but I don't always catch everything going on here. @Krilion_GD does his best to keep me up to date on what's going on and who needs what info, but I'm not always able to break away to post the updates folks would like to see.

So rather than refer to them as micro-updates, lets say, sometimes I break away from trying to fix the problem to express my undying frustration with java and it's interactions with the current iterations of Mac OSX and Windows "Cortana" Security.

SO yeah, like my post from earlier, working hard to fix this issues and get a build out the door. I want to get the spells and updates out for the PHB so we can release the monster manual without pulling in so much flak ;) [End: Edit]

upload_2017-11-23_8-47-13.png

#11 Wesley Gorby, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  12. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi. I see @Krilion_GD has been reposting my statements to this thread -- not how I missed this one anyway.

3.7.2 status is this. The installers are being stubborn. As soon as we finish work on these so folks can install, we'll be pushing 3.7.2 out to the community.

Status on Spells for 5e is 90% ready for the 3.7.2 release. Our marketplace and content dev manager (and the rest of the team) are doing a final QA as well as a final pass to update them for the 3.7.2 release. The timing on these items should coincide.

[tl;dr]

As to the confusion regarding automation as an add-on to the rules. I also want to clarify that there has been a lot of confusion and misunderstanding between WotC and myself on this regard. The launch of the PHB was to the book specification and approved by Wizards of the Coast. We had originally thought that automation was a required part of this for WotC and so had been delaying and delaying the launch to get this out to the community.

However, as it turns out, they could care less. They want their written word available to gamers, in the tools gamers are using. This meant that our original ambition had too take a back seat to the license agreement and thus was released the reference materials for the PHB.

That being said, we want to bring you the automation for spells (coming up) and the full class feature set (after that). So we're adding this your existing purchase as a thank you from us. This represents a significant time and monetary investment from our team, so the decision to include these components as part of WotC's product offering in our store was no small decision.

I understand the time that's it's taken to correct the marketplace and data model bug we encountered after 3.7.1 has taken us a couple of months to root out and fix. I apologize for this, earnestly. My dev team and I (heh. the two of us...) have been putting in as much time as we humanly can to make this happen as fast as we can.

As a result, all I ask is that you bare with us for a little while longer so we can get the working installers ready for the various platforms. Windows Creators Update, the move to Mac OS X Sierra and an aged Linux build/installer all introduced problems which prevent their platform from installing without manual effort from the owner. Fixing this for new and existing users is a major priority as it's painful for everyone.

- Owlbear

13. phloog

phloog Member

Wait...is the PHB not done? That wasn't the impression I got from the Marketplace.

If you look at my other thread and the issues I'm hitting compared to FG, I'm now wondering if there's a way to get my money back on the PHB.

14. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I believe Owlbear is saying that 'technically, by WoTC requirements' the PHB is done. It currently contains all the needed information as ref material.

We are going the extra distance for the users and including the automation, as a bonus. Though that will take a little time to finish up.

15. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi @phloog - I've replied in your other thread as well.

[edit]
    I mentioned this in the other thread, but since that is very specific to your case, I wanted to push this out to the rest of the folks who might be tracking this space.

With the last beta release, we've updated the traits mapper to auto-populate traits based on contents of the classes.txt files. this means that if you have Feature##=list|of|feats|or|abilities stuff in your classes.txt, then these will be converted to traits on the creature when the class/race is added.

Variants/Paths also allow for traits to be auto populated to creatures on variant selection.

Finally, the traits themselves will automagically pull from any loaded rules in the Rules Library. So, if you have traits defined in the rules library with automation, descriptions, usage types, etc. All of that will be inherited by the creatures traits on creation.

#15 owlbear, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  16. kinwolf

kinwolf Member

I was coming here with a similar question, so I won't open a new thread... This tread answer my question about the next PHB update, but the Monster Manual was also supposed to come out in august if I remember well. Is there a new timeline for that one?

17. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Due to the automation being done for the PHB, that is/has taken far longer than expected (there are 350 spells alone, that have to be written and automated). This has pushed everything else back. Except for Pathfinder core, which is being done in tandem.

18. Blueter

Blueter Member

Now with the release of 3.7.2 are the spells built into the purchase of the PHB?

19. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

It is due shortly here after 3.7.2. I do not have a date at this time. I am sure the holidays are slowing things down somewhat as well.

20. Blueter

Blueter Member

Thanks for the update. Look forward to another wonderful product from you guys. Until then may all your rolls be 20's...unless you're my DM!