1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Saving spell effects Official Players Handbook purchased

Discussion in 'D&D 5th Edition' started by Markehm, Oct 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. phloog

phloog Member

Can someone explain to me what the 'automation' is, and why it's described as exclusive? Is it putting effects on tokens and applying those effects, ending them when they have expired?

I ask because FG has a degree of 'automation' - you drag a spell from the PHB to your character, and it's there with all of its details, with damage tracking and similar.

Just wondering.

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I am currently working on spells for my PF campaign that my players use often. Each spell has different effects, duration and other applicable bits. The Automation is based on making the spell add or subtract what it is it does (such as a +4 to strength for Bulls Strength), how long it lasts, what the saving throw (if any) is and how the DC and Dice outcomes are handles (Like damage from a fireball and how it calculates that based on the caster level). Most spells are unique in their effects, and therefore their automation is unique. there are shortcuts, but you still have to touch each spell and tweak it even if there is one you can copy that you made before (like Burning hands and Corrosive touch). It takes a long time to build all of that and ensure it actually performs correctly. In My experience with FG, you still have to program the spell in certain ways once you drag it, as it does not know what level you are for save DC and the like. For D20PRO, if the spell is built out, and the caster has it in their list, all they will need to worry about is targeting the spell. All (or most) of the of the variables will automate the rest.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I'm not sure I understand the question, you appear to understand what 'automation' is fairly well. As to exclusivity, there was a time not very long ago that none of the other VTT apps, did any kind of automation really.

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

right, and it doesn't care if that caster is lvl 3 or level 13, it'll know how to adjust the spell for the most part.