1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Poison or multi round spells

Discussion in 'Pathfinder' started by Arkat3, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Arkat3

Arkat3 New Member

I am wondering for Pathfinder how you program an effect that may have more than one round of effect and require savings throws each round of effect, for instance a snake bite.

Bite—injury; save Fort DC 13; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Con;cure 1 save.

Character would take damage each round for six rounds but the sequence would end once a single save is made, but the already applied damage would remain.

Thanks

2. Nezzeraj

Nezzeraj Member

Hey, I built one for you :) The only problem is the damage seems to revert back after the effect ends. Ability damage seems to not be permanent like HP? Or it could be a bug. I also added a status icon for the poisoned condition which seems to stay on for the duration even if the save is successful. So maybe I did something wrong or there are two tiny bugs. Either way I hope it helps!

Attached Files:

3. Arkat3

Arkat3 New Member

I programmed essentially the same as what you had ,but as a spell. I had the same result. The duration covers the number of rounds that the poison affects the target not the number of rounds they must save. Also when the save window pops up each round there is no new save roll, it uses the number generated on the first round so if you failed the first save it lasts the full 6 rounds and continues to drop con, after the 6th round the con returns to normal. I think duration should be infinite(until healed) and there should be another way to enter rounds that the poison must be saved for.

4. Nezzeraj

Nezzeraj Member

So I did some more fiddling, and it appears stats are not permanent like HP damage is. If you change the poison from Con to HP you can see the HP stays while Con resets. This makes me think it's the way stats are coded that any modifiers to them are only temporary. As for the reroll portion, that has to be a bug with the "reroll on every round" option of the flow.

I managed to re-create the permanent COM damage effect by creating another feature that has infinite duration and checks for the target's current CON mod and applies it as permanent modification. It's not perfect but it gets the job done. Just apply both of these features to the same trait and it should work.

Attached Files:

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

You need to be extremely sparing doing this, as that infinite item has to be checkED and processed ever round or interaction with the token. For a permanent stat deduction, it's still better to decrement the stat by hand and keep notes on the notes field as to the particulars of the deduction.

6. Nezzeraj

Nezzeraj Member

Oh that's good to know lol. Any way for stats to be permanently affected like HP in the future?

7. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

If it's truly permanent, then just alter the token as Krilion suggested.

mrwinfree likes this.