1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

5th Edition work progress

Discussion in 'D&D 5th Edition' started by owlbear, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

We've asked enumerable times for assistance with documentation.

Documentation is fleshed out as features become stable and the construction dust settles. Hopefully as the work slows down some and feature are in less flux, documentation can pick up and be fleshed out. currently, micro videos are being produced to help with doc'ing things.

2. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I'm not asking for full tilt documentation. But some bare bones would be nice to explain the basics of the nodes and whatnot.

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

This type of set up will definitely be requiring documentation -- which is why I've been working on creating it(!)

http://d20pro.com/release-notes/feature-library/#overview

This is rough and in-progresses, but should give you an idea of how the docs are shaping up.

I'm using a system called mkdocs to create these pages as we can then include an offline copy of the documentation along with the feature set.

kinwolf likes this.
  4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

So as a change of pace (and because we needed too) we've been working on the spell casting system from the Character Perspective.

Domains, Circle Spells, Oath Spells and the like operate very similar to 3.5/Pathfinder Domains with the exception that there are now 2 spells per spell level and spells cap out at 5th level spells.

In order to accommodate this, we've extended the Rules API to allow for specifying some Domain spell constants which determine frequency and count for spells grants per level. This is a bit of a brute force method versus a cleaner "spells per level" mechanism, but it'll get the job done for now and with room for growth after our 5e module hits the streets.

We're now working on Invocations, Traits which grant abilities and more.

Oh, and Item casting is back in and working like a champ. With the next build you'll be able to specify spells granted by items similar to the FreeForm casting method.

All of these casting systems work with the Feature Library as well so they can benefit from the built in targeting and decision pipeline presented with the new features.

We've got a couple more things to knock out before we start showing video and overviews, however, this is likely right around the corner!

Josh Scott likes this.
  5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Okay, in tandem with the updates to the feature library, I've been plugging away at a re-write of the spell selection and entry system that is more extendable and compatible with 5e (and other game systems).

Below is a set of mock-ups for the layout and design I'm working on implementing.

One of the core concepts is to include a Spellbook which gives access to the complete listing of spells available for a given class. After the initial implementation and some work we have planned on in-game editors for user created content (ManuallySpecified source files), the Spellbook would be updated to support in-game adding of new spells.

The basics of the Spellbook are a full table of ALL spells, and individual by-level sorted sub-spell lists. For Wizards and other caster who have a player selected set of spells which create their list of possible spells, there is a Spells Known category. How this maps to Sorcerers, Rangers and the like is TBD as the Source (left pane) will be limited by the class being accessed.

Multi-class characters will have the ability to select the spellbook for the appropriate class.

In addition to being an interface to show and build lists of spells available for preparation, the spellbook also provides access to new Spell meta data in the form of a description and notes area. The fields of these will be determined by game system and defined in the Rules for the game system.

Again, this is an in-progress task, so some of these elements might change as we continue development.

(more text after the image)

upload_2016-12-18_20-49-15.png

The Spell Editor is also getting a pass which will add a new SpellCaster_Prepared type to the list of available caster types -- for use in the classes.txt in ManuallySpecified.

The Prepared caster type uses a category system per class defined in the Rules for the specific game. This appears in the form of:

Code:
    public static class Spell
      {
        public static final byte MAX_SPELL_LEVEL = 9;
        public static final byte KNOWN_SPELL_CATEGORIES = 2; // Cantrips & Non-Cantrips

public static final byte MAX_DOMAIN_SPELLS = 10;
        public static final float DOMAIN_SPELL_RATE = 0.5f;
        public static final byte DOMAIN_SPELLS_PER_LEVEL = 2;

// Note: Spell levels start at Zero so no reason to offset a check against this array
        public static final int[] OVERRIDE_DEBIT_SPELLS = {1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0};

// on the fence about placing these in spell or creatureclass...

public static final byte CANTRIPS = 0;
        public static final byte PREPARED = 1;
        public static final byte KNOWN = 2;
        public static final byte SPECIAL = 3;

public static final String[] BARD_SPELL_TABS = { "Cantrips", "Spells Known" };
        public static final byte[] BARD_SPELL_UI     = { CANTRIPS, KNOWN };

public static final String[] CLERIC_SPELL_TABS = { "Cantrips", "Spells Prepared", "Domain" };
        public static final byte[] CLERIC_SPELL_UI     = { CANTRIPS, PREPARED, SPECIAL };

public static final String[] DRUID_SPELL_TABS = { "Cantrips", "Spells Prepared", "Circle" };
        public static final byte[] DRUID_SPELL_UI     = { CANTRIPS, PREPARED, SPECIAL };

public static final String[] PALADIN_SPELL_TABS = { "Spells Prepared", "Oath" };   
        public static final byte[] PALADIN_SPELL_UI     = { PREPARED ,SPECIAL };

public static final String[] RANGER_SPELL_TABS = { "Spells Known" };
        public static final byte[] RANGER_SPELL_UI     = { KNOWN };

public static final String[] SORCERER_SPELL_TABS = { "Cantrips", "Spells Known" };
        public static final byte[] SORCERER_SPELL_UI     = { CANTRIPS, KNOWN };

public static final String[] WARLOCK_SPELL_TABS = { "Cantrips", "Spells Known" };
        public static final byte[] WARLOCK_SPELL_UI     = { CANTRIPS, KNOWN };

public static final String[] WIZARD_SPELL_TABS = { "Cantrips", "Spells Prepared", "Spells Known" };
        public static final byte[] WIZARD_SPELL_UI     = { CANTRIPS, PREPARED, KNOWN };

The UI constant tells _Prepared what tabs to use for the given class and how to handle those spells. For instance Cantrips in 5e do not require spell slots to cast while Domain spells do.

Additionally, knowing the source of the spells helps us define available spells for the Prepared tab such that Cantrips and Domain/Oath/Circle spells are removed from the available spells as they are automatically considered prepared based on the selections from their associated tabs, where applicable.

Another aspect change is that we'll now be able to show a number of slots available for which will tick off as spells are added to the prepared list or cantrips -- domain/oath/circle spells are auto-populated.

The Tabs constant lets us change the language for the tab and any in-line references to the tab topic.

Finally, when the Prepared Spell Editor is committed, the list of prepared spells are returned as a single list rather than being separated as Domain and non-domain spells. The reason for this is that casting level and augmenting of casting level are integral to the 5e method of spell usage.

After the creature prep side of the system is in place, the last step is to implement an augment menu to the Cast a Spell Decision. The concept here is to allow a would be caster to select a spell from the level sorted list of available spells, then decide if they want to use a higher level spell slot.

If a feature library entry is set up for the spell in question, it will be able to apply any additional benefits supplied by the use of a higher level spell slot!

I'll post more on the system as it develops. Needless to say, I implemented a few alternatives to this before coming to the current design/conclusion. Still lessons learned and all that!

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Great work T. Some very reflective changes, that have been needed for a while.

7. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

worth noting -- and keeping in perspective -- these changes use the Rules API and will initially roll out for 5e specifically. They'll get pushed for Pathfinder and 3.5 shortly after, but still use the Rules API meaning that if you want to create custom classes, you'll need to either mimic an existing classes spell config or add it to the Rules API.

Rules API isn't available yet as a repo for folks who want to build in it. However, it should be shortly. Finishing 5e should help us complete the remaining/missing parts of the Rules class structure and layout.

When it's ready we'll host a github repo for any dev folks interested in using/extending it.

Elrand and Josh Scott like this.
  8. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Very cool!

9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey all, I haven't posted here in awhile, but wanted to let you know we're still working hard to bring all the things to you and yours. Keep the faith and we'll have a big happy update in the near(ish) future!

kinwolf and Tay-Dor like this.
  10. Jobsays

Jobsays New Member

Keeping the faith here. Still using d20Pro VTT but have converted my game from 3.5 to 5e and looking forward to being able to use some of the advanced features reliant on 5e SRD implementation and HeroLab integration. Hoping you have lots of 5e customers asking besides me and they are not all Pathfinder or other game systems driving you development cycles :)

11. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

So it's been a while and discord has certainly distracted me from posting here -- posting "live" is so quick by comparison! Post -> Code -> Post -> etc.

So here's a quick bit of fun for those of you waiting on the full 5e kit.

Dynamic AC's. In 5e you have base 10 + dex + stuff OR Natural armor + dex + stuff OR Armor + dex + stuff. So behold! And it updates in realtime as you enter stuff. These AC's are also fully targetable through the feature/rules engine so you can have armor which, when equipped sets the Armor field to the appropriate value!

5e-ac.gif

Okay, that's shiny. But wait, there's more (yeah, we've been stupid busy). So let's take this Undead dude as a sample.

So we have an Undead creature which adds the various Undead traits shared by all Undead to the beastie right away -- cool.

upload_2017-6-13_21-10-34.png

But then we can select a specific undead from the variants to acquire all the traits, HD's and other goodies with a simple one-two!

Not to mention the massive library of traits we're building out!

upload_2017-6-13_21-11-51.png

(for PF and 3.5 folks, we're doing this for PF first, then 3.5 but that's happening concurrently with 5e!)

Darkrin likes this.
  12. mutant

mutant Member

In addition to posting in Monster Manual 5E topic, I also wanted to post here and ask for progress update on D&D 5E ruleset. Can you provide a timeline for us to expect DMG, MM, and new Xanathar's Guide to be released in Marketplace? Thanks!

13. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

A PHB update is due very soon, I believe it is currently in review (or extremely close to) by WoTC.. I could be wrong here, even if I am it's very close. As to the other items, I don't have any new information of those other than, they are progressing forward. No dates have been shored up that I am aware of at this time of writing.

14. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

We're considering releasing a partial list of automated PHB spells -- we have about 90 spells which require specific or unique attention left to redo post 3.7.2 release. All of the other spells have gone through QA and are ready to go to the best of D20PRO's ability to represent.

PHB class traits are also in progress. The spellbook update will go out before the class traits update however.

Monster Manual creatures are ready to go, we're working on the traits and automation there as well. I'm thinking we'll roll up what we have and make a release of this as well since we can push updates after the release to ship the automation which was delayed pending the bug fixes in 3.7.2.

DMG is in progress as well, but behind the other three tasks above.

We're looking a week to two weeks minimum to release anything due to the 10-day wotc review window. Once we submit the spellbook to wotc (early next week) it'll be at least 10 days before we can release it pending the approval from their team, supplying folks are not on vacation, sick, or otherwise unavailable (all of which has delayed us in the past!).

Hope this helps to set the expectation correctly.

15. Nezzeraj

Nezzeraj Member

Does the same go for Pathfinder as well? Mostly I'm just concerned with spell automation. I've been having issues with the few custom spells I've imported from the forums and it's quite the headache.

16. mutant

mutant Member

Thanks for the updates Krillion and Owlbear. My group looks forward to playing our first d20pro game with the correct rules set!

17. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Yes, PF Core is being done concurrently by @Tay-Dor ... Though I don't have dates I can give out other than to say it's well on it's way to being done.

As for things scooped from the forums here, yeah it is likely those would need tweaking to suit as methods and models will likely have changed from when those were written and the current state of the engine.

Tay-Dor likes this.
  18. Climp

Climp New Member

any update on this been almost 2 months now i have a feeling its close =D.

19. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

As far as I am aware, the hold is with 3.7.3

20. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, the hold up is 3.7.3. When we went to push out the spells earlier this year we found a slew of missing connections in the spells/features system which had broken after the re-write was executed in Dec. It's taken me a bit to fix them and some are still no operational, but we don't want to hold up 3.7.3 and the spell automation update for the PHB folks any longer.

3.7.3 is nearly ready just pending final work on the Starfinder Template. We are looking at having an internal build done any day now, and a full release early next week (Monday/Tuesday) pending social spin-up time.