1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

5e MM and Player Handbook

Discussion in 'D&D 5th Edition' started by Golldan, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Golldan

Golldan Member

Hey All,
    Help me manage expectations/what am I supposed to get and see with 5e MM and PH... I have been using d20Pro for Pathfinder for a few months, and when the new 5e MM came out, it looked like a good time to check out how 5e would work under d20Pro. So upgraded to ver 3.7.3, downloaded MM and PHB, and set up a test DD 5e campaign to check out the new shinny things.

Note, most of my posts/errors end up being user error somewhere... so I do not expect much different here.

In dropping in some Monsters to test combat, like a Glabreazu... I do not see any Spells they are set up to use, so are Innate Spellcasting spells not a part of what you get?

So for the spells, in the Pathfinder campaign, we are mananging outside/old fashioned way. That whole blue screen spell Flow is beyond me at this point, and thinking that these two products MM and PHB would be great to automate the combat without me having to block code the Spell flow. But many spells (fireball, burning hands, etc.)show up as: upload_2018-7-19_9-35-4.png

Now I could be clicking on the wrong target, or something else as I have not really used the spell features in combat, but I can get some spells to work, like area effect spells like Darkness and Fog Cloud, and self spells like Alter self put the status markers on the PC.

Guide Spell Decision-
    upload_2018-7-19_10-10-32.png

My Spell Decision-
    upload_2018-7-19_10-12-11.png

When Cast, Some give a note in Game log, but no actual damage gets applied like Eldritch Blast. So maybe there is a video or guide on how Spell casting/targeting/use is out there, and I just need a review.

upload_2018-7-19_9-39-25.png

Thanks for reading....

kimco likes this.
  2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

3. Golldan

Golldan Member

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Yeah that quick start was done ages ago and is severely out of date.. it def needs some luv

5. Golldan

Golldan Member

Well, another update for the list....

I removed all versions and reinstalled and still have the issue with majority of spells erroring out. No one else having that issue....?

Should the Monsters not have spells selected, I would expect them to be there, but it may be intentional and just not part of what they did not include.

I have also noted that the items have incorrect images. But maybe that is a symptom of the same issue/install issue that is showing in my spell Flow....

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

On tokens or on monsters?

Monsters should have spells under traits spellcasting ability.

this is a known indexing bug we are trying to figure out why it is happening,

7. Golldan

Golldan Member

-OK, thanks for the response

8. mutant

mutant Member

I appreciate all the work done in regards to Players Handbook and Monster Manual. However, I am frustrated, having the same issues as the original poster. I did a fresh new install of d20 3.7.3 (deleting all files associated as well) and imported PH and MM. I am using the "Greyhawk Alley" map to learn the spell system. Sariel tries to cast Burning Hands and I get the "Unexpected exception during commit" message. When I cast Fire Bolt on anyone, I get 0 damage. I cast the spell six times at zombies and skeletons; I should hit at least once. I do not understand spell flow enough to troubleshoot. What am I doing incorrect?

I do notice that I have 2 or 3 versions of each spell in Rules Library, but only 1 of each version is checked. I have two versions of D&D Core Players Handbook and, in some spells, D&D SRD. To my knowledge, I imported the PH only once.

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I suspect the "Unexpected exception during commit" is due to the class being undefined all together OR having been changed after it was assigned to the token in question.

If you have the PHB and spells are not showing up, it is because the spells were assigned to the token prior to or in a different state than that of the PHB. For the spells to show up correctly on those tokens, go in and remove all 'rested' spells and save the token, then re-learn spells on the token, rest and save the token...

Spells should now show up from the PHB..

10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

NOTE: prior to doing anything here, hit the Refresh button on the bottom to rebuild the list and ensure the table list is accurate.

You can sort by the 'Active' column (check box), and remove all the unused items (Unchecked items). Though I am a bit alarmed you'd have 3 copies sitting there.

In Theory, it could run as follows
    SRD/Template -> Source 1
    Players Handbook -> Source 2
    Module -> Source 3

I know Owlbear is looking at the 'Merge' data feature, which may not be merging data correctly in the 3.7.3 build

#10 Wesley Gorby, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

It couple be template related as well (False positive on the Active/Enabled state of the template).

in the Rules Library->Templates, you could try

Selecting all the Templates and hitting setting them to Inactive/Disabled, then selecting them all Active/Enabled again and setting them to Active.

12. Golldan

Golldan Member

Thanks Krillion - Tried creating a new Sorc Token, and use spells freshly selected with same Error results. Then went into Lib>Spell Templates and deselected all. And of the dupes just selected the PHB versions and Enabled. Out of D20Pro and back in and it still gives Errors. I will have to try again this weekend....

13. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

try this one.. Owlbear and I saw (after an import) these were flagged as 'Active', but in actuality were 'Inactive' and were throwing the same error.
    So that is likely the solution.. we are still trying to figure out the why that occurred...

14. mutant

mutant Member

I tried as well with no success. I removed all duplicate spells. I created a new token (5th lvl Wizard). Same errors on casting or always doing zero damage. Fire Bolt game log indicated I rolled a modified "0" on the attack.
    In looking at Rules Library -> Templates, I have three versions of everything except for single instances of Channel Divinity and Superiority Dice. In Script Library, only six scripts are enabled.

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Would you mind posting/attaching your d20pro.log file here please, it's located in the root install directory?

16. Golldan

Golldan Member

Thanks - here you go.

Attached Files:

17. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

So it looks like it might be missing scripts on your side.

[24 Jul 2018 18:35:12,517] WARN ErrCaptureStream | javax.script.ScriptException: ReferenceError: "getCasterProfBonus" is not defined in <eval> at line number 1

Could you look in Library->Scripts and tell me if
    getCasterProfBonus() is present and enabled?

as well as getSpellcastingClassAbilityMod()

upload_2018-7-24_21-22-35.png

#17 Wesley Gorby, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  18. mutant

mutant Member

Do you still need my log as well? If so, give me more info where to find it.

Here is a screen shot of the only scripts that are enabled. I have only changed sorting order. Program was installed with these settings.

upload_2018-7-24_22-32-8.png

19. Golldan

Golldan Member

Looks like I have them... three of each, but hardly anything is Enabled in there.... I have not been on the scripts page for the DD Rules/Campaign.

upload_2018-7-24_22-38-46.png

20. mutant

mutant Member

So I just enabled all scripts and now all spells appear to be working! Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Burning Hands all do area of effect, saves, damage. I am able to increase level on spells. Fire Bolt works on attack as it should, but I have not rolled above 10 on damage on six hits when I use a 5th wizard. When I expand to the flow of spell, feature -> effect -> modify target -> value is dice(1d10). Where can I confirm this is correctly rolling 2d10 for damage?