1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Players/Guests Do Not see Skills, nor can they make skill checks

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by AkosPrime, Aug 26, 2018.

1. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

Server: Linux (CentOS 6) running D20Pro version 3.7.3 using Java version 1.8.0_181
    Client: Windows 7 running D20Pro version 3.7.3 using Java version 1.8.0_181
    Game System: D&D 5e

Symptoms: On the server, hosting the GM account, I have launched a new campaign, D&D 5e, and it loads the default Greyhawk startup with the player party and a bunch of zombies. The GM account can look at any of the characters, PC or adversary, and see their skills, and make skill rolls for them, both directly from the view screen and using the three fast skill shortcuts.

However the player/client/guest cannot only NOT use the fast skill shortcuts, they show up as blank/unfilled, and there's no way to choose anything for them, but when viewing a PC and clicking on the 'Skills' tab there are not any skills listed, no matter which radio button ('all', 'proficient', 'nonproficient') is selected. The other elements of the character, 'Traits', 'Item', 'Attack', etc. are all visible to the player/client/guest. The player has been assigned ownership of the character.

I'm not sure which log to attach to this, the server or client one.

I've only been able to test with one client so far, so I do not know if this situation is universal to all clients or just to this singular one.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Please post the log file (d20pro.log) from your installation folder.

3. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

D20PRO.log file from server

Attached Files:

4. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

D20PRO.log file from client

Attached Files:

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Looks like there was some miscommunication about the password

[26 Aug 2018 23:02:53,634] WARN MasterConnectionListener | Failed attempt to join game. User name: Evan, License name: Guest, From location: /173.66.10.26:58686 com.mindgene.transport.exceptions. AuthenticationException: Invalid session password. Contact the Judge for a valid password.

No clue what this is about, but I can ask @owlbear to have a look

[26 Aug 2018 04:55:38,746] WARN AbstractTransmitter | Error Sending message. Closing Connection. java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe (Write failed)

or this one

[26 Aug 2018 00:37:01,519] WARN AbstractDispatcher | Unable to locate bridge for received response: Object Response (req: 6): Response Object zipped

this is also one I've never seen before

[26 Aug 2018 00:12:12,309] WARN ErrCaptureStream | Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/browsercore-60.0.3112.113.6.18/data/Temp/libbrowsercore-common64-42b37e06-3dec-4d14-aa56-50e73f24f9f0.so: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /tmp/browsercore-60.0.3112.113.6.18/data/Temp/libbrowsercore-common64-42b37e06-3dec-4d14-aa56-50e73f24f9f0.so)

I mention this to @owlbear and ask him to look it over and offer suggestions.

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

from the client

[24 Aug 2018 16:47:03,332] WARN LivePanel_LaunchPlayer | Failed to initiateServerConnection
    java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

[26 Aug 2018 19:03:26,107] WARN ClientTransmitter | Error Sending Ping. Closing Connection.
    java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error

I believe that is a blocked port/firewall

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

8. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

This is embarrassing but I can't figure out where to get 3.7.4 from. When I go to the 'Get D20Pro' page all I seem to find is options to download 3.7.3 for the various OS's. I don't see a link for downloading other versions anywhere on the page. Can you point me in the right direction to download 3.7.4 please?

9. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

10. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

11. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

We'll be making a full release later today for 3.7.4 so the core downloads should point to it. @vanith found a bug in RC4 which I just fixed up for the release (related to map markers)

vanith likes this.
  12. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

Update: Okay 3.7.4 (rc4 I'm assuming) did indeed fix the issue with the player/guest being able to see and use skills

I have noticed two other minor issues, and don't know whether I should mention them in this thread or open a separate one. I'll list here but if preferred will copy to new thread:

Issue #1: On server side (3.7.4rc4) running on Linux CentOS 6 Java 1.8.0_181, when in Options->Network/App->Get IP Address the call is returning the wrong internal IP address. The internal IP address is 192.168.1.90 but d20 is returning 192.168.1.102. This address isn't in use anywhere, so not sure where it's getting it from.

Issue #2: On server side, the ~/D20PRO-3.7.4/d20Pro.sh file that came with will not execute, it complains:
    $ ./d20Pro.sh
    bash: ./d20Pro.sh: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
    I searched through the file in VIM for ^M characters and couldn't find any. I deleted and rewrote the line to no effect. I then copied the d20Pro.sh file from 3.7.3 and it worked fine launching d20.

13. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

did you set the chmod for the shell script such that it's executable? sometimes the settings get lost in the zip file that intellij builds.
    Oh, ^M characters... darn it!!!

Okay, so you'll want to clean the file of lame windows line endings using the dos2unix command on the file.

I've ran it myself on the file and copied the .sh version to here:

http://pubs.d20pro.com/Public_Beta/3.7.4-RC4/d20Pro.sh

I'll see if I cannot correct this in the zip on the way out to release. ... so many parts...

14. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

I did chmod the .sh file originally. I'll go back and try the original file tonight after dos2unix'ing it.

Any idea why the internal IP address is showing incorrectly? Or any commands you want me to run to diagnose it?

15. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I quick look around has the IP on linux coming from the JVM which apparently has its own inet vdevice. this won't be fixed in 3.7.4 unfortunately, but I'll queue it up for the next release!

16. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

Sooooo....I downloaded the latest 3.7.4 that was released yesterday for both client (Win7 64-bit) and server (Linux) and installed them. The problem with skills is BACK, the client no longer sees any skills for creatures/characters and cannot assign any skills to the 3 hot keys. It's basically just like it was when I ran 3.7.3.

I haven't had time to go back and reinstall the 3.7.4rc4 on both systems, and since I'm leaving town won't have an opportunity for a couple of weeks. But just thought you'd like to know.

I'm attaching both client and server log files again in the hopes that they help.

Attached Files:

17. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hrm. that's really odd. I will definitely look into this today. can you export a character or two who are exhibiting the issue?

18. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Looking at the log, there's a couple of interesting possibilities that could resolve this for now, the one I think it most likely to result in some level of success is the following:

- disable fast skills on the GM then push the session to a connected player (you can run a player session locally side by side with your GM session). Doing this should reset the fast skills preference and restore access to skills. Once that's been verified, you should be able to re-enable fast skills.

There's also a solid indicator that the reference guide element is failing to load for you under your flavor of linux. While not likely to impact skills, I am concerned about this being a problem when accessing any of the other rules library elements. Can you try opening up the Rules Library and accessing a feature, spell, script or trait? These elements all lean heavily on the new browser functions. If you cannot see the description panel for these bits, then we're likely looking at something more significant under your flavor of linux.

that being said, can you also let me know what version of linux you're running under? I can see the kernel version in the log, but the original logger apparently doesn't fetch the flavor (something to update on my end).

Finally, I noticed a complaint about GLIBC_2.14 not being found. This is likely something that will need to be resolved if the above Rules test comes back with a failed state.

19. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

I can do all of that. But unfortunately not until I get back from my trip. So it will be a couple of weeks, I'll update this thread when I do.

I can quickly tell you that the Linux version is CentOS 6.9 (system needs to be updated to 6.10 but hasn't been done yet.) As a RHEL derivative, CentOS doesn't change versions of key libraries, just patches them, so GLIBC version is currently 2.12-1.209.el6_9.2 and when updated will be 2.12-1.212.el6

The experimentation stuff will have to wait until I get back, sorry.

20. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

No worries, I can set up a RHEL system via liveCD and test (hopefully -- it's been a while). Hopefully on your return I'll already have a solid answer and solution for you. That being said, I've been looking to trap all the old hard-coded arrays in D20PRO and move them to more dynamic data structures as part of the push to support multiple systems. Skills is going to get the Rules Library stick next as it's the last hold out of the older "Binder" system. If you're gone for two-weeks, it's likely that this issue will be resolved for you before you return!

Of course, my biggest concern is that this isn't an isolated issue on CentOS/Linux flavors. We have tested on Ubuntu and OSX/Darwin (running the pure linux edition) without incident -- including fast skills, so my guess is that some of this is related to a configuration failure between 3.7.3.x and 3.7.4. In other words, I'm confident we can resolve this based on our testing experiences!

Feel free to reach out when you're back and we can run through some test scenarios to make sure this isn't something that comes up again. Discord, DM or reply to the post is all fine. I'm keeping an eye on 'em all!