1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Player's Handbook Notes

Discussion in 'D&D 5th Edition' started by Blueter, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Blueter

Blueter Member

So I know this could be put under bug reports but since it's a 5e thing also I figured I post it here.

PLATE ARMOR: (maybe others but this is the one that caught my attention): Even though it says max Dex Zero in the rules library, it doesn't seem to add that to the AC line. Simple fix just added the Zero to the character sheet but thought you might want to know.

CURE WOUNDS SPELL: Gives me the Unexpected exception during commit ERROR.

RESISTANCES: Bludgeoning doesn't seem to apply the half damage, I think Piercing also does this, however I know Slashing is working.

RESISTANCES: This is an error but rather a...tweak I guess. I was working on making the Ice Devil. They are resistant to bludgeoning, piercing, slashing if not silvered. What I did was click on the reistances and then made them vulnerable to silver so it would half then double or IE normal damage. What would happen though say it hit for 5. It would half (2) then double making the damage 3. Can it be set to double first then half or IE hit for 5 doubled 10 then halved making it 5?

MOVEMENT: Yes I know it's been talked about in another thread just wanted to put it out there that it doesn't save any type or movement but normal for other readers of the thread.

ITEMS: The pictures of the items and the items themselves don't match up. IE Shortswords have a potion vial, arrows look like armor (leather maybe?)

FYI, I know you guys have a lot of plates spinning all at once just wanted to give some feed back! Keep up the strong work! Anything anyone else can think of please add it to the thread, it helps, it really does.

#1 Blueter, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Many thanks for the finds

3. Blueter

Blueter Member

So if I use the player's handbook to create character. I can't export the character until I delete all the equipment. Is there a work around this so that import/export my characters from campaign to campaign?

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

if the thing you are trying to export has copyright IP on it or associated with it, correct, it won't export.

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Blueter, I'm actually working on a way to handle this. Basically, an export to storage option with doesn't un-encrypt the creature, but lets you pull them in to another campaign. It'll be a bit before it's fully ready tho -- sorry about that.

Also, about the items. The real issue is the art. If you strip the art from the items they should export with the creature.

6. Blueter

Blueter Member

These may have been mentioned by others but it seems that some spells simply don't work. They inflict zero damage. Acid Splash and Fire Bolt are 2 that I've noticed as my players use them on the regular. I noticed then that Shocking Grasp worked just fine so I went into the rules Library and saw this difference;
    dice(func(Math.max(((getCasterTotalLevels()+1)/6), 0)+1)d8) Is used for shocking grasp under Value
    dice(1d6) is used for acid splash

My question is if I simply cut and paste it the shocking grasp value over to acid splash and adjust the d8 to a d6 will that make the spell function correctly?

7. Blueter

Blueter Member

OK another one, the sleep spell. Can it be set to show the 20' burst and roll the number of HP's it affects so that I as the DM (AKA Judge) can then manually apply the sleeping condition on the appropriate monsters in the burst?

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Yes, you'd use a Template node in the FLOW. It could apply Unconcious or Sleep Status icon. It'd require writing a script to output the HP value rolled and account for upcasting (higher spell slot), to the game log, So you could then pass/fail the targets in the decision window.

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I'd be leery of using this;
    dice(func(Math.max(((getCasterTotalLevels()+1)/6), 0)+1)d8)

looks to me (I could be wrong) this was written very early on.

basically, it says

get the getCasterTotalLevels() + 1
    devide by six
    then as long as the number is larger than 0 use it, else use 0
    then add + 1
    then roll that many dice.

This doesn't account for non-whole numbers.

The matrix for this would be
    1 + 1 = 2 / 6 = 0.3 = 0 + 1 = 1d8
    2 + 1 = 3 / 6 = 0.5 = 0 + 1 = 1d8
    3 + 1 = 4 / 6 = 0.6 = 0 + 1 = 1d8
    4 + 1 = 5 / 6 = 0.8 = 0 + 1 = 1d8
    5 + 1 = 6 / 6 = 1 = 1 + 1 = 2d8
    6 + 1 = 7 / 6 = 1.1 = 1.1 + 1 = 2.1d8
    7 + 1 = 8 / 6 = 1.3 = 1.3 + 1 = 2.3d8
    8 + 1 = 9 / 6 = 1.5 = 1.5 + 1 = 2.5d8 // if the dice mechanic rounds, this will generate 3d8
    9 + 1 = 10 / 6 = 1.6 = 1.6 + 1 = 2.6d8 // if the dice mechanic rounds, this will generate 3d8
    and so on

Shocking Grasp
    Lightning springs from your hand to deliver a shock to a creature you try to touch. Make a melee spell Attack against the target. You have advantage on the Attack roll if the target is wearing armor made of metal. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 lightning damage, and it can't take reactions until the start of its next turn. The spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

I'd use the Repeat/Multiply node or simply write a script to trap for the level and return the correct dice.

#9 Wesley Gorby, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

or you could use something like this

function d51117() {

var res = 0;
    var CasterLv = caster.getLevel();

switch (CasterLv) {
    case 1: case 2: case 3: case 4:
    res = 1;
    break;

case 5: case 6: case 7: case 8: case 9: case 10:
    res = 2;
    break;

case 11: case 12: case 13: case 14: case 15: case 16:
    res = 3;
    break;

case 17: case 18: case 19: case 20:
    res = 4;
    break;

default:
    res = 1;
    break;
    }
    return res;
    }

and the damage node would be
    dice(func(d51117())d8)

11. Blueter

Blueter Member

lol, you are speaking greek to me! I wish I knew more, ermm ok anything about script. The short answer is nope don't that.