1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Wonky behavior 3.7.6

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by mrwinfree, Jan 19, 2019.

1. mrwinfree

mrwinfree Member

started game session. As per conversation with owlbear and krilion, the activity monitor on my MacBook Pro (MBP) shows D20Pro using 100+% of the CPU. The program was VERY sluggish and there was a significant delay when updates were sent to the player client. There were 2 players that were unable to log on. (the game session did not show the Green online icon in the lobby). After restarting a couple of times, one person was able to log on, the other never could. I posted the player's d20pro log to discord and nothing was immediately obvious as a problem on the player side. I looked at my log and there were 5 of them (i am attaching them here). I also looked at the diagnostic log from the MBP and there were a string of errors in this log too. (also attached). I downloaded a new instance of D20Pro 3.7.6, and started it up. The program opened the starter map and dialogue boxes opened as per the norm, but the MBP Activity Monitor still shows D20Pro hogging the CPU % in the 100 - 150 % range. My intent was to pull the campaign folder to this new install but with the issue of CPU usage not resolved by the new install, I have not done so yet. Can anyone give me guidance regarding this? I am going to find every D20pro associated file/library/pref on the computer and delete them, then reload d20pro and see if that helps.
    Thanks in advance,
    Mickey

Attached Files:

2. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Our group also is having speed and connection issues with 3.7.6. It happens both remote (using sessions) and local (when we are playing face-to-face and using IP connection).

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi @DM Swan, sorry for the delay. My Mac effectively blew up during the last update and I've been without a platform to test. I should have it back from the apple folks today or tomorrow and will try to get things up and running to test.

I also took your issue to our chromium system builder (JxBrowser) and they have a new build for me to test with that could very well have been where our problem was coming from on Mac. Apparently they were leveraging openGL heavily on the mac platform and with Apple's recent depreciation of OGL, JxBrowser would be struggling to do conversions to Metal -- fun times.

In any event, I should have an answer sooner than later on this one!

mrwinfree and DM Swan like this.
  4. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Thanks for looking into this. Just an FYI - most of our players use PCs and Windows and also have speed issues (and sometimes connection issues). The couple of players that do use Macs seem to have more issues though (and the poor guy who has the PC with a 32-bit processor and limited memory always has issues). Upping the "Upper Memory Limit" helps a little. But still, the overall speed and performance is much slower than previous version (both with sessions and IP).

5. mrwinfree

mrwinfree Member

That's great, I was just fixing to post another log of a clean install that was causing some serious CPU usage and sluggish activity. And, that is just on my end. No changes to the system ie. no new spells, features, traits etc. Also, I've not anyone connected to this. I look forward to that fix.