1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Network Connection

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by DM Swan, May 3, 2019.

1. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Why is the network connection in 3.7.x so bad? It makes using D20Pro for our remote games almost unusable. We have to restart both client and server computers several times a session (both Mac and PC). It often takes clients 3 or 4 tries before they connect.This has been an ongoing problem ever since the 3.7 builds. All computers have increased their upper memory limit, but still - bad connection. We have been using D20Pro for years and have never had this much trouble with connecting.

Any suggestions or is their a fix coming to solve this issue? Log file is attached.

FYI - our group is a bunch of computer geeks (network admin, programmers, etc.).

Attached Files:

#1 DM Swan, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Are You using the 'campaign.override' option to have your game data on a host storage service or other network drive?

Other than that I am not sure.. I use the TCP/IP connection multiple times per week and it seems fine to me..

Can you send us a d20pro.log from one of your clients? maybe there is something else going on?

3. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

It looks as though it is hanging up on this client. The log is just riddled with Connection errors to it.

[02 May 2019 20:56:46,411] ERROR Channel_GameAndMap | tripped setting pause state
    com.mindgene.transport.exceptions.NotConnectedException: Specified Client is not connected: "Berazni" (/63.225.84.223:57720)
    at com.mindgene.transport.server.TransportServerImpl.accessConnectionForClient(TransportServerImpl.java:128)
    at com.mindgene.transport.server.TransportServerImpl.accessStubForClient(TransportServerImpl.java:258)
    at com.mindgene.d20.dm.transport.channel.ChannelBox.accessStub(ChannelBox.java:53)
    at com.mindgene.d20.dm.transport.channel.Channel_GameAndMap.updatePause(Channel_GameAndMap.java:152)
    at com.mindgene.d20.dm.transport.channel.ChannelBoxMulticaster.broadcastPauseChanged(ChannelBoxMulticaster.java:159)
    at com.mindgene.d20.dm.transport.channel.ChannelBoxMulticaster.checkForDMPause(ChannelBoxMulticaster.java:198)
    at com.mindgene.d20.dm.transport.channel.ChannelBoxMulticaster.observedActivityStateChanged(ChannelBoxMulticaster.java:328)
    at com.mindgene.transport.activity.ActivityNotifier$ListenerBridge.observedActivityStateChanged(ActivityNotifier.java:179)
    at com.mindgene.transport.activity.ActivityNotifier.examineCounts(ActivityNotifier.java:255)
    at com.mindgene.transport.activity.ActivityNotifier.examineActivitys(ActivityNotifier.java:267)
    at com.mindgene.transport.activity.ActivityNotifier.run(ActivityNotifier.java:284)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    at com.sengent.common.threading.SafeThread.safeRun(Unknown Source)
    at com.sengent.common.threading.SafeThread.run(Unknown Source)

I'd have that client, check their firewalls and app permissions.
    I could be wrong here, Owlbear will correct me if so..
    But, if it has to retry 6-10 times to reach this client, everyone has to wait for that and hence your lag.

4. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Log file is attached to top post. I've asked on of my players to post and upload the log file from his client computer too. We have been having this problem for several months with all the 3.7.x versions (using IP since Lobby is down). Been using D20Pro for years, never had much trouble until this latest version. I'm not sure what the 'campaign.override' option is. Any other settings I should be checking? Standard install. All files on my PC (AMD A10-7700K Radeon processor, 32 GB RAM).

#4 DM Swan, May 3, 2019
  5. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

I will be hosting another online game next Tuesday with a different group. This group has also had some connection issues, but not as much. I'll try to remember to post that log file here as well.

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

The log is 20 thousand lines, 99.5 of which are errors trying to reach this one client.

upload_2019-5-3_16-16-33.png

That has to be a huge drain on the game session.

In fact the error is so pervasive, I can not see the info from your session start to know exactly which version you are running because the D20PRO.log file has obviously reach 5mb and rolled over.

From 20:23 to 20:57 it plowed 20 thousand lines to the log as an error for one client.

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Do you have other enumerated log files in your D20PRO directory?

8. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

We were online from 6 PM - 9 PM. That client was the last person to connect. So it makes sense that they are causing most of the issues. Although, one other client had to try to connect multiple times before connection (even before the other client was on). It will be interesting to see what my log file reports on Tuesday, after my other game with the above client.

Also - we were using version 3.7.6. Everyone will be updating to 3.7.8 before our next game.

9. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

It doesn't allow me to upload an enumerated log file - extension not allowed. There are 5 log files with numbers. I'll try to rename them and see if I can upload them.

10. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Uploaded log files #1, 2, 5. Let me know if you need #3 and #4.

Attached Files:

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Owlbear made a catch/retry for clients connecting at virtually the same time in 3.7.8.1
    This prevents a lot of the initial connection issues getting started.

You can see all the changes from 3.7.6 forward here. http://guide.d20pro.com/oi_release_notes/#376

#11 Wesley Gorby, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  12. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Are you running any kind of Internet security suite?

I'm seeing other clients in these failing to see a connection.

upload_2019-5-3_16-41-42.png

which brings me to something is off network wise.

13. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

Looks like 2 clients, Taer and Berazni are getting tons of error messages in log5. In log3, Bregan and Berazni are getting the errors. And log4 is mostly Bregan with the errors. Something is going on. FYI - we had 4 people connected to me last night (Dimytri, Punslinger, Berazni, Taer/Bregan-same computer).

Attached Files:

14. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

I have the free version of AVG running.

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

These two clients are consistent and constant across the logs

upload_2019-5-3_16-44-44.png

16. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

It is possible AVG is slowing things down aside from the 2 client issues, as D20PRO has to wait for AVG to inspect every single packet back and forth.. Off the top of my head I seem to recall some issue with Chromium and the JXbrowser being used as well, but I'd have to ask Owlbear as I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head.

please be aware there is a 'Chromium virus', but there is a legitimate Chromium JFXBowser the latter is what is in play here.

AVG does NOT like either one, from Google results :)

#16 Wesley Gorby, May 3, 2019
  17. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

upload_2019-5-3_16-56-16.png

Again, this points to a network communications error, as in something is not set up correctly.

Are you sure your router is port forwarding correctly and if it has a firewall an exception is set for the application?
    Likewise, are you sure AVG is et up for an exception to allow the app to communicate both inbound and outbound?

#17 Wesley Gorby, May 3, 2019
  18. DM Swan

DM Swan Member

My router port forwarding info is Port range and local port of 10101 and local IP is my computer. Using "Both", which is UDP and TCP for protocol. I can uninstall AVG. I shouldn't need it anymore with Windows 10.

#18 DM Swan, May 3, 2019
  19. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

is 192.168.1.5 wired or wireless?

20. dalatwest

dalatwest New Member

Here is my log file - This is for Bregan

Attached Files: