1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

3.7.8 Failed to Initialize

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by crazitalk, Apr 9, 2019.

1. mrwinfree

mrwinfree Member

When you guys get this sorted, would love a condensed version! I too have an older mac that would not load the program. Thanks

2. crazitalk

crazitalk Member

No good.
    Mac-Pro:~ ericiverson$ cd /Applications/D20PRO/data
    Mac-Pro:data ericiverson$ chmod +x ./d20Pro.sh
    Mac-Pro:data ericiverson$ ./d20Pro.sh
    ./
    java version "1.8.0_211"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_211-b12)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.211-b12, mixed mode)
    Mac-Pro:data ericiverson$ [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; ipcserver init failed .
    [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed
    [25 Apr 2019 20:19:56,562] ERROR D20 | Failed to execute SteamAPI.init().
    [25 Apr 2019 20:19:56,870] INFO D20 | D20PRO version: 3.7.8
    [25 Apr 2019 20:19:56,871] INFO D20 | Java version: 1.8.0_181
    [25 Apr 2019 20:19:56,871] INFO D20 | Operating System: Mac OS X (10.11.6)
    [25 Apr 2019 20:20:16,705] FATAL D20 | Unexpected throwable initializing app
    com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.internal.ipc.IPCException: IPC process exited. Exit code: 133
    at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.internal.ipc.d.run(SourceFile:204)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    [25 Apr 2019 20:20:19,820] ERROR JFXThread | Failed to run: com.mindgene.d20.JFXLAF$$Lambda$94/1247962611@1541fa5
    com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.internal.ipc.IPCException: IPC process exited. Exit code: 133
    at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.internal.ipc.d.run(SourceFile:204)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

See if I can get Owlbear to chime in on this again.. I am at a loss at this point.

4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

So the current issue looks like the chromium thread is being stopped by something. This could be permissions in the directory. Can you verify there is a cache directory in the data dir? this is what usually trips up JxBrowser on *nix systems.

Worth noting, by using the shell script, you're actually firing up the shipped java 1.8.0_181 (you can see in the line you pasted above).

We have also seen a few cases of the installer/package manager not completing the install. A second attempt to install might correct any missing files (such as the pre-configured browser-cache directory).

5. crazitalk

crazitalk Member

I can confirm that ../d20Pro/data/cache/ exists and currently contains 22 folders each beginning with the string "psa".

I've downloaded and re-installed d20Pro 3 or 4 times now, each time with the same effect...or lack thereof.

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Are you installing into the same directory as a previous install?

7. crazitalk

crazitalk Member

Yes, I'm installing it using the D20PRO-Mac-3.7.8.pkg into the default ../Applications/d20Pro/ folder location.

EDIT: Since I don't have Chromium browser installed on either machine but it's still working on the newer one I imagine that it isn't a requirement for the app to function. I presume that the necessary files are included in the application.
    I did however notice the following release update note under 3.7.7.1, but fail to see how that would be the issue as I'm not attempting to launch multiple instances:
    "Due to a change in Chromium's context sharing we were failing to launch multiple instances of D20PRO in the last release. We've updated the the cache directory generator such that context is cached using a timestamp method."
    EDIT #2: I have just tried copying the install file that worked on my Macbook Pro to my Mac Pro and that resulted in the same issue after install.

#27 crazitalk, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

please copy your campaigns folder to a safe location.

Now rename your current D20PRO folder or delete the contents of the folder.
    (Safest option here is to just rename the D20PRO folder, /D20PRO-old/ or the like.)

Now install D20PRO fresh from scratch using the Installer.

Let's see if it is indeed some remnant file stay behind from an old install.

9. crazitalk

crazitalk Member

EDITED for clarity and brevity:
    Renamed folder, installed d20Pro fresh. No change in effect.

I decided to try remotely opening the Mac Pro install using my MacBook Pro (basically opening it with the working computer from a server location) and it opened successfully. This reinforces the idea that it's not an issue with the install itself, but rather an issue with the interaction between the application and the older computer.

All of the instances where the app failed to open there was a single *.lock file in the ../cache/psa############# folder, when the app successfully opens it leaves 20 objects within the folder. This also occurs on the MP when I open the app from my MBP.

#29 crazitalk, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  10. crazitalk

crazitalk Member

Since I haven't heard back in a bit I figured I'd follow up with a summation of the last week. My next game session is Sunday and I didn't want to have to run both a GM and Player instance off my laptop, though at this point it looks like I may have to.

../Applications/d20Pro/data/cache/ does exist. I used Disk Utility to verify and fix the disk permissions but it's still having the same issue.

I've downloaded and re-installed d20Pro 3 or 4 times now, no change.

Yes, I'm installing it using the D20PRO-Mac-3.7.8.pkg into the default ../Applications/d20Pro/ folder location.
    I have copied the PKG from my Macbook Pro (where it worked) to my Mac Pro (where it didn't work) and that resulted in the same issue after install.

Did this, didn't work. Still had the same problem.

I decided to try remotely opening the Mac Pro install using my MacBook Pro (basically opening it with the working computer from a server location) and it opened successfully. This reinforces the idea that it's not an issue with the install itself, but rather an issue with the interaction between the application and the older computer.

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

From this point did you cmod and run the shell file?
    What was the error from the log?

12. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

You do, it's embedded in D20PROs file structure it's just not front facing as an application on your desktop.

13. crazitalk

crazitalk Member

I couldn't remember if I ran it or not, I think I did, but just in case I tried again.
    The result was different than it has been.
    Mac-Pro:~ ericiverson$ cd /Applications/D20PRO/data
    Mac-Pro:data ericiverson$ chmod +x ./d20Pro.sh
    Mac-Pro:data ericiverson$ bash ./d20Pro.sh
    : command not found:
    : command not found:
    : command not found9:
    : command not found1:
    ./
    : No such file or directory/
    : command not found5:
    java version "1.8.0_211"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_211-b12)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.211-b12, mixed mode)
    : command not found7:
    : command not found9:
    Mac-Pro:data ericiverson$ Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx2g
    Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
    Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
    I have tried both the .APP and the .JAR and they are still generating the error. I'm downloading and reinstalling once again to see if it's an issue with the last install. The install resulted in the same "Exit code: 133" alert when I try to open the .APP and .JAR. When I tried the .SH file I once again got the same issue as above.

14. crazitalk

crazitalk Member

I thought that might be the case but I wasn't certain.

15. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

looks like that might be the hang up there

16. crazitalk

crazitalk Member

What is the best way for me to fix that issue? Would that need to be changed within the .SH file?

17. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Correct... the .sh file is just a txt file...

upload_2019-5-5_16-29-41.png

18. crazitalk

crazitalk Member

I tried editing line 40 with no success. I've tried 512m, 1040m, 1g, 2g, 3g; all to no avail. The system has 6GB of RAM total at the moment, so I'm wary of trying more than 3GB. In the past it's seemed to open with minimal memory and has allowed me to specify the Upper Memory Limit at the logon page, I see that function is still on my MacBook Pro, could that be related?

19. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

You should see the Memory allocation on all D20PRo installations

upload_2019-5-5_19-0-42.png

The only reason you would not (it's grey'd out) is if those settings are being overridden by the system Environment variable in the OS and/or if you were say using the command line to launch or some other launch file that is overriding those parameters such as a batch file or shell file etc etc