1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Edit Mode

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Blueter, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Blueter

Blueter Member

I've noticed in the past few weeks that if I try to edit a token the game hangs. I'll try to close out D20Pro and it says Not Responding. Even when it stops hanging the edit mode doesn't appear, any attempt to edit will result with the same effect.
    Now that said sometimes I'll turn on D20Pro and go to edit and no problem! It seems to be something with the initializing because once you're connected you either can or can't edit there is no in between.

Thoughts ,fixes or suggestions anyone?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Are you referring to locally or remotely, connected via Lobby or TCP/IP
    Could you post your d20PRO.log file, please?

upload_2019-1-31_12-52-6.png

3. Blueter

Blueter Member

What are you trying to do? Edit creatures in library or token.
    What the result was and/or steps you took? The game would hang and not respond.
    Is the issue repeatable? Yes although not every time and only when using the lobby method.
    What OS are you using? Windows 10
    What version of the software are you using? 3.7.6

Attached Files:

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Lobby sluggishness currently has to do with pubsub. Owlbear is working with them to resolve the issue as well as look at alternatives.

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

@Blueter there was a bug in the jxbrowser version we were given by our partner. this will be corrected in this weeks release. (3.7.7)

6. tintagel

tintagel Member

I'm still having this issue. Just can't edit creatures at all.

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

What version and OS?

8. tintagel

tintagel Member

Windows 7, d20pro 3.7.8

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Please post your log file (d20pro.log)

10. tintagel

tintagel Member

There ya go.

Attached Files:

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

There is an absolute ton of errors in there, to the tune of 25,000 lines.

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" com.sengent.common.exception.InvalidStateException: This StoredObjectRef has not been linked into the Stored Object Manager.

and

[10 Aug 2019 12:37:18,457] WARN ErrCaptureStream | Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

The second one there and likely the cause of the first is your system is running out of ram. Allocate more system Ram to the application via the Launcher and see if that resolves it.

12. tintagel

tintagel Member

That's unlikely. I'm trying this even with 1 small map open, and 4 GB of ram dedicated to the application (from the launcher), and it's only using 900MB of ram in the task manager.

13. tintagel

tintagel Member

I cleared the log and restarted, opened a single small map (just the 5 PCs) and tried to edit one. Locked up as normal for about 30 seconds, then I could run everything perfectly fine (except Edit creatures). No lag. The moment I try to Edit a creature, it locks up (not responding) for 30 seconds and then does nothing, working fine again.

I exited after attempting this, and here is my new, fresh log (attached). Most recent error log shows:

[11 Aug 2019 00:04:55,568] WARN ErrCaptureStream | Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:3181)
    at java.util.AbstractCollection.finishToArray(AbstractCollection.java:230)
    at java.util.AbstractCollection.toArray(AbstractCollection.java:143)
    at java.util.ArrayList.<init>(ArrayList.java:178)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.game.creatureclass.CreatureClassBinder.accessInstalledClasses(CreatureClassBinder.java:123)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.creature.view.Content_Classes.buildContent_Table_Console(Content_Classes.java:223)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.creature.view.Content_Classes.buildContent_Panel(Content_Classes.java:214)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.creature.view.Content_Classes.buildContent(Content_Classes.java:88)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.creature.view.Content_Classes.<init>(Content_Classes.java:78)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.creature.view.AbstractCreatureView.buildContent_D20(AbstractCreatureView.java:352)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.creature.view.AbstractCreatureView.buildContent_Tabs(AbstractCreatureView.java:494)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.creature.view.AbstractCreatureView.buildContent(AbstractCreatureView.java:161)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.creature.view.CreatureViewWindow.buildContent(CreatureViewWindow.java:72)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.creature.view.CreatureViewWindow.buildDMView(CreatureViewWindow.java:50)
    at com.mindgene.d20.dm.creature.menu.JudgeMenu_Creature_Main$CreatureTrigger_Edit.trigger(JudgeMenu_Creature_Main.java:310)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.creature.menu.CreatureTrigger_Abstract.trigger(CreatureTrigger_Abstract.java:227)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.event.AbstractKeyTrigger.tryToTrigger(AbstractKeyTrigger.java:87)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.KeyTriggerBinder.dispatch(KeyTriggerBinder.java:74)
    at com.mindgene.d20.common.AbstractApp.dispatchKeyEvent(AbstractApp.java:1015)
    at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:1097)
    at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:974)
    at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:800)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4760)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2297)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:760)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)

Attached Files:

14. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Well for whatever reason, "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" is running out of memory on your system. That can cause all manner of weird issues.

Export your map, create a new clean campaign, import your map. See if that clears up your issue. Possibly there is something corrupted in that original campaign.

15. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi @tintagel

How much memory are you allocating to the application? Also, I'm working hard to get 3.7.9 out this month. It should clean up some of these heap issues that 3.7.8 had regarding creature sheets. They are rare, and usually caused by the JVM running low on memory, but are still worth fixing on our end as much as possible.

I don't know if you've tried the beta yet: http://pubs.d20pro.com/Public_Beta/3.7.9-RC2/ but it is a lot faster over all and should help resolve these issues. That being said, it is a beta and has a few kinks to work out as well -- the to hit on the attack tab is non-functional in this build, but already fixed for the RC3 I'm working toward for later this week.

16. tintagel

tintagel Member

Allocating 4GB and using only 1 GB in the task manager for the example above. I'll add a few more wrenches into the gears here....

So I created a new campaign from the stock templates and created a brand-new creature and was able to edit fine. I then exported 3-4 maps for my session and we were able to play and edit no problem. REAL pain in the butt because ALL of my traits, spells, items, special abilities, custom markers, status effect icons, and even spell "creatures" (I make a creature for Spiritual Weapon for example) were missing, of course.

We slog through the night and during a break I decide to import my status.zip, markers.zip and associated folders and restart. Can't edit. I look closely at the zip files and there's nothing in them except clean png files.

Later I test my old campaign by resetting the markers and status files to the original unmodded versions. Things work again!

HOWEVER, after a couple of launches and testing, even with the default zip files, the edit bug returns!

I find that if I delete my manifest and other generic files in the folders, it works for a while (forcing it to rebuild the manifest?)

Strange, but I can, with a bit of fiddling, get it to work on my old campaign. I just REALLY don't want to have to recreate a new campaign and have to remake all of my custom items, spell effects, class abilities, special abilities, markers, creatures, maps, and status icons. EEP.

17. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

just Export and Import until you find which thing is causing the problem.
    It seems tedious, but it should be faster than rewriting stuff.

i