1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie needs some help for his first pathfinder session

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heldenhammer, Jun 4, 2013.

1. heldenhammer

heldenhammer New Member

Hi community,
    first I am completely new to d20pro and in addition to that I am speaking german much better than english, so therefore do not blame me for asking stupid questions or using benglish which I learnt is the official language of the world (bad english :lol: ).

Unfortunately, here in good old germany vtts aren't so popular anyway I guess it is a great way to improve my beloved pathfinder session with my collegues.
    Some days ago I downloaded the trial version and the big plan is to host my next pathfinder evenning on the 22th June 13 by using d20pro as an extended desktop view. Understandable? Oh dear, hope you get the point, my english needs improvement but that is another story.
    I would kindly like to us that programm for mapping, meaning instead of drawing complexe dungeons on paper, just scan the map or download it from the net, resize it an by using fow just make the area visible to my my players step by step.
    Therefore I will need two screens, one for me with all information and a second screen, connected to my notebook with only the limited player view.
    To make things short, now I am wondering how to set up the second screen for my players? Any tutorial for that? Do I have to keep things in mind because I am using the trial version, beside that I won't be able to use it longer than the expiration date of my license?
    I am also looking for Serpent Skull battlemaps, Part 2 Racing to ruin and random jungle maps for random encounters. If you have a cool link or know a nice homepage, please let me know.
    That's all for now.
    To the developer team, count me as someoine who will buy a license for gm plus additional player licenses if everything will run smooth and fine on the 22th this month.
    Cheers and by from Germany
    Yours sincerely
    Heldenhammer

2. ChrisRevocateur

Do you know how to hook up a second monitor to your computer and set it as an extended desktop? With a PC, you just connect the monitor to a secondary monitor output, go into display settings, and set the second monitor as the extended desktop. I have no clue how it works with a mac though. Anyway, then you would start a game,keeping the GM client on your main screen, then start a player client, and point the client at your own computer on the network. I don't remember the address for that, but it shouldn't be hard to find. Then all you've gotta do is drag the player client over to the extended desktop. I hope that helps.

3. heldenhammer

heldenhammer New Member

Hi Chris
    Thanks for your quick reply. I am using a Win7 netbook and i am also familiar of how to set up a second monitor in extended desktop view, what i did not get was the point where you mentioned and point the client at your own computer on the network. Which network?
    i guess it is a language and understanding problem for me, sorry for that. Could you explain it another way, please. Do I have to enter an url or IP address?

4. ChrisRevocateur

It's an IP address. I can never seem to find the self-referential IP address in google, nor can I find the post on this forum that has it either.

5. heldenhammer

heldenhammer New Member

So what am suposed to do than for setting up my computer? Help please

6. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

If you go into OPTIONS and the JUDGE tab, you should be able to click on the GET IP ADDRESS and it will find your Public and Private IP addresses. The Private IP should be your home network assignment. It will most likely (but not 100%) be a 192.168.1.xxx configuration. With the Judge running, open up D20pro again, but chose the player profile this time and use a different user name. It will ask you for an IP address. Use the one you found using the GET IP ADDRESS. This will log you into your own game on the same computer. You can then move this window (Player) to the other screen that you were discussing with Chris and then only the Player info will be displayed to that screen because that instance is seen as a PLAYER.

I hope this clarifies things for you. If you need more help, keep posting, we will be here for you.

Tschüss

7. heldenhammer

heldenhammer New Member

Danke
    That explanation is a-even for me-crystalclear. Excellent explanation. Amazing

8. heldenhammer

heldenhammer New Member

Another newbie question about license management.
    Is it feasible to be the owner of all needed licences for my group and therefore to be able toattach licences to my players and if no longer needed, e.g. because of campaign's end, to retake them so that I could give it to a new player?
    Otherwise we would have to purchase always new licenses for every group adjustment. I am only raising this issue because members of my rpg group are changing from time to time.

9. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Technically, all you need to do is purchase aditional GUEST slots (Player slots) for your Judge copy. I believe if you own the software, it starts with 2 of these slots, so only buy 4 more. This allows you to host 6 slots of players who would be using trial licences to play on your Judge. Alternatively, other players can buy a Player license for them selves, but you would not be able to manage them. Most of us on the forum advocate for everyone to buy a full license, we want to support the Devs, but that is not always on everyones budget. From what you posted, I believe the primary option I listed will suit your needs. All of the extra slots can be purchased throught the Marketplace for $10 a piece. So for you, to buy the Judge License and 4 extra Guest Slots, you are looking at $70 US for a lifetime product, that anyone using a trial can play on.

Hope this helps.

10. heldenhammer

heldenhammer New Member

Hi once again me with another newbie question. I played a little bit with the extended desktop configuration and thanks to Golkiwu I was able to open a second session on the same computer as a player. So I created some maps and creatures, everything a DM has to do in order to prepare his gaming session properly.
    For the moment I am just playing and simulating a fight / encounter as a DM and as a player and I am asking my self if there is a way, for sure there is one, for adding a status and let d20pro automatically counting when the status is no longer relevant e.g. a wolf is entangled for four rounds therefore it would be great to receive an information after for round that the wolf can now again move freely over the battlefield. How to do that? :?:
    Thanks for helping me and sorry for my disturbing english but I passed already midnight and I am getting tired....

11. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Well, that is a sticky wicket.

You are logged on to your own computer, so the OS is looking at the one mouse. Now, you should be able to manipulate the second (Player) screen with your mouse and keyboard. The only way to have a player manipulate the player client on the same computer your Judge is on is to let them use your mouse, or have another mouse, and share the resource. Truly, it is the limitation of the Computer, not the software. You can have another PC/Laptop in the room that the players use, logged into your game as a separate Player on your Local Area Network (LAN) either through a local switch, or through a wireless router. When running tournaments at conventions, we have a separate laptop for the Players to use, with an attached second monitor, and multiple mice plugged into the one Laptop. This way, the players could all see, and when it was their turn, they grabbed an available mouse and made their actions. We use a cheap wireless router to handle the LAN. It is really the only way to not have to share a mouse with your players. Fortunately, D20PRO is fairly Low Resource on the Player side, and can run on the most archaic of computers, with an updated version of Java Running of course. I hope this helps, and you have additional resources to implement in your game.

12. heldenhammer

heldenhammer New Member

Hello Golkiwu
    thanks for your quick reply and I really apologize for asking my question not clear enough because your answer is really interesting but unfortunately not the answer I expected.
    Therefore I try to re-ask the question to receive the needed information, my fault, once again sorry for being so unclear.

I would like to know if there is a way to keep the software d20pro keep track of the time running by for the different character and NPC status in a combat.
    I try to give an example hoping that this makes it all a little bit clearer for you:

In a combat, the PC cast an entangled spell to a NPC controlled by me and due to a missed saving throw, which will be done manually by me using my real dice set, the NPC will be entangled, blinded, deaf what status ever, for e.g. 4 rounds.
    What I would really appreciate would be the option to enter the time the status will be valid for that NPC and after 4 additional combat rounds, d20pro is announcing to me as the DM, that the mentioned NPC is no longer under the status, influence of the spell entangled so that I immediately know that I can move that NPC freely again.
    Is there a way to do so?
    Hope this makes it a little bit clearer for you.
    Thanks

13. heldenhammer

heldenhammer New Member

Or to say easy things the complicated way,
    how to track conditions and spell durations? :D

14. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Ah!

That is easier.

You use Effects (the X hotkey) to handle on the fly needs. When a player casts a spell jsing their spells from the drop down on their character, it will bring up a similar, but named for the spell, window. For regular abilities and effects a character might use often, such as wands, potions, scrolls or innate abilities you create an effect in the Abilities Tab on the Players Character Sheet (There is a tab for it there). All of these options use the same interface.

This page in the users guide has an overview on all of this: http://d20pro.com/help/UGPlayManEffects.php and http://d20pro.com/help/UGGMActiveEffects.php

The window will have Name of the Effect as "Uses, and unless it is a spell cast from the player, will be named "New Ability". You can click the field to change the name. There is a second field that is labeled Effect and states that it is "inert". Clicking this field will bring up a window that allows you to input the rulles for the effect. You can set everything like Duration, Damage Dice (Or healing dice, be sure to make the dice set to "Healing", default is "Normal"), Saving throw type, DC, and more. Once you have the effect set to do what you want to do, consider Saving it. This will allow you to use the Load button later to recall the set effect statistics so you do not have to reprogram an effect you use often. Be sure to name the effect appropriately, like adding a Caster Level to the description to differentiate from spells of the same name but different power. IT is important to know that loading a saved effect does not change the name on the first screen of the effect, you will still have to do that manually. Once you have completed the effect Statistics, hit the green check button. You can now select the target. By clicking into the "Click to Target" you will then have the option to click on the individual creatures on the active map to be targeted by the effect. You can also use the Area Template (ie. 30'burst) to target the effect as well, thus simulating the area of effect of a fireball or the like. Once all of your argets are selected, you submit, and the Judge then approves (or modifies and approves) the effect. D20PRO will than roll the saves and apply damage types and count the duration of the effect for you. The rest of this is in the a fore mentioned links.

I hope that this provides better clarity for you. :)

15. heldenhammer

heldenhammer New Member

Muchas gracias
    perfect, that was the needed answer. Everything is clear right now, at least for the moment :)

16. Caraldur

Caraldur Member

Heldenhammer,

If you send me a PM with you email address I will send you three DM tokens that I created for adding effects to PCs, NPCs and monsters during an encounter. I have more DM tokens on my PC at home and can send those as well if you like.

What I do is I add these tokens to the map, make them invisible and when a condition, poison or disease effect needs to be added I just right click on the appropriate token and select the effect from the at will abilities on the token.

I find that this saves alot of time during play because you don't have to create the effect on the fly.

-Car