1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing d20Pro Extensions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by thraxxis, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met,

Allow me to introduce the new d20Pro Extension plugin system that is included with v3.3. This post serves as an initial push of information ahead of the full-fledged documentation coming soon on the main help site.

Q: What is an Extension?
    A: Well, pretty much anything you can think of. You may code up any self-contained module with a Swing front-end. The plugin has full access to the d20Pro Java Application and its associated virtual machine (JVM). There is also an API in development for searching and modifying the game state such as Creature state. In it's first incarnation, Extensions may write to the Game Log, clever undocumented hacks notwithstanding. Expect every release to add new capabilities to the API to allow more powerful functionality and control over game mechanics. :ugeek:

Q: I've never coded before so how do I benefit?
    A: Odds are people in your network do and there are no limitations on sharing plugins with other d20Pro installations. At a minimum I would be surprised if the d20Pro Forums aren't proliferated with fan contributed plugins for your favorite game system or house rule before long be they good, bad, or ugly. :twisted:

Q: Anything else I should know?
    A: The Extension system is a significant mutation in d20Pro's "DNA" and serves as a foothold to the future where game system rules and other VTT capabilities will be completely open. Basically what I'm saying is this is only the beginning. And besides the anything-goes Extensions mentioned above, plugins will start becoming available on the d20Pro Marketplace. Beyond the plugins the d20Pro Team is looking forward to delivering directly, other professional grade developers will have the opportunity to build Extensions and other plugins for sale on the Marketplace that must be tested and approved before they go up for sale.

Q: What happens next?
    A: I will be posting the first plugin ThumbClicker for anyone's use. It is useful for tracking arbitrary counters (e.g. initiative tracking in Hackmaster). Also will post a preliminary technical document that will walk Java programmers through how a plugin is written and packaged up in detail.

[​IMG]

2. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

For those interested in being among the first to try out Extensions, you may download ThumbClicker v1.0 here. To deploy, save this file to d20Pro/extensions (creating the directory if necessary).

First make sure you are using v3.3.1 and start up d20Pro. Now in the main menu you will see Extensions. Click on that you should have ThumbClicker installed. Enjoy. :geek:

The documentation for how to write your own plugins is coming soon, stay tuned!

3. ChrisRevocateur

How do we add another counter?

4. BoomerET

BoomerET New Member

Once you have the extension open, there's a little down arrow in the upper left corner.

Click the blue down carat, mouse over Thumb Clicker, click Create Clicker... >

Found this by just playing with it.

Then I was actually able to take a look at the log (it's in the campaign/game folder IIRC)

BoomerET

5. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

The information and a starter kit have been posted here. If you are interested in coding up your own Extension please give it a look.

6. BoomerET

BoomerET New Member

Darn right I'm interested, thanks!

BoomerET

7. Doskious

Doskious New Member

I'm frustratingly busy and can't properly investigate myself, but a couple of things that have been bees in my bonnet are attacks against invisible creatures and creatures with miss chance. Both are not presently supported (that I'm aware of) - is the addition of support for these concepts something that could be easily accomplished by an Extension, or would it be necessary to lobby for these improvements for inclusion in the next release?

Extensions look exciting, I wish I had more time to dig into the concept immediately.

8. nisha

nisha New Member

Hai i am new to this forum.

9. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met nisha,

Look for more activity with Extensions as the v3.4 release gathers steam.

10. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

I'm only just noticing this now.

WHOOHOO! I'm pretty thrilled at this. Expect lots of extensions from me! I'm going to dedicate some serious time making extensions for my game, we play fourth.

11. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Thanks mercury00! The extension system is going to be amazing.

And sorry all it's taken a lot longer that expected. My 1 y/o has been a really big handful. But things are looking really good for d20Pro in 2014. More news soon - staying focused on delivering the Kickstarter right. Then it is back to coding!

Thanks all for your patience and see you on the Game Grid. :ugeek:

12. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well future d20Pro developers,

d20Pro Extensions is being folded into the upcoming Unlimited Rules Engine. Please keep an eye out for the d20Pro Unlimited Kickstarter and of course here on the forums for information about plugins. They are coming and will be worth the wait!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.