1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Some questions on capability

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KennethJordan, Jun 10, 2013.

1. KennethJordan

KennethJordan New Member

Hello, I've been looking at Virtual tabletops and this one sounds promising as I run d20 RPGs. I have a few questions that I didn't find answers to in any of the other things I read and didn't want to make assumptions.

1. Is there a limit to the file size or even pixel size of the battlemat/map that I would be using. What would it be with this program? Assuming I'm using a grid of squares that represent 5 feet, how many squares total could I have?

2. Every screenshot or video I've watched shows tokens with portraits that kind of look like cards. Is it possible to use top down tokens with a clear base? Can I change their facing?

3. How easy is it to load my own maps or artwork? How much do you have to do to share this stuff with players via the internet?

4. Most importantly, to all those who use this online: Realistically, how often does the program crash or bug when playing?

I really like what I'm seeing with this one. I don't want to get my hopes up.

2. KennethJordan

KennethJordan New Member

Also, loaded the trial version and playing with it a little. Am I correct in that you cannot load your own token images from your pc or am I missing something? When I try to create a creature and pick an image, I only get options from the folders that came with the program.

3. Caraldur

Caraldur Member

Hello Ken,

1. As far as I know there is no limit to file size of the maps, but you must remember that these maps will have to be uploaded to the players and this will take some time if the file size of your map is large.

2. Create your token with a transparent background and save it as a PNG file to preserve the transparency. JPGs will fill the transparent background with white.

3. It's very easy to load maps into D20pro and artwork as well, but I have had a few issue with handouts. Sometimes when you push a handout the players will not receive them and get a error message. I usually have a shared drop box folder for the game that I use when this happens.

4. I have been using D20pro for about 3 to 5 years now and I haven't had any game crash on me. I have been in games were players weren't receive maps and they had to restart d20pro but other than that not problems for me.

If you have any more questions just as here on the forums or send me a private message.

-Car

4. ChrisRevocateur

You can either manually add the tokens you want to use into those files (under programs folder if you're using windows), or up in the upper right hand corner of the image chooser has an 'import image' option.

5. KennethJordan

KennethJordan New Member

thanks for the info, I'm interested in giving this one a shot.