1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Fog of War Workaround - - not working?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phloog, Jun 20, 2013.

1. phloog

phloog Member

So I found a post where someone was nice enough to try to tell us how to avoid the horror that is the new FoW, by simply doing the flood of all squares, then toggling individual squares.

I have a map with a specific grid size, when I use this Easy Fill, it fills the entire map, but creates NEW regions that are FOUR original squares in size...when I take a SINGLE SQUARE sized brush and attempt to change the visibility, whenever i click on a single square, ALL FOUR in that 'sector' change visibility.

Is there some way to get this to respect the actual d20Pro gridlines, and not these artificial 2x2 collections it creates when you Easy Fill?

2. lexluthor

lexluthor Member

Bumping this question. I don't like the new FoW and can't use the simple method. If the simple FoW method is not confined to the actual gridlines of the map, its useless. The original method from a couple of years ago was so much easier. Certainly, there is a setting that we are just not seeing?

3. phloog

phloog Member

It must just have to remain one of the great unsolved mysteries of our age....still have NO IDEA why it's picking 4 at a time, but it's useless to me like this, and so it's either the new way or nothing...I guess by 'nothing' I mean 'find something else that's friendly'...

bit of bummer, as I've been a big fan, but I'm not a fan of the new FOW, and I still think that if they're saying that they want to enable BOTH old and new ways, why the H^%L would they pull out the old way for even one version?

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Currently the "Easy Fill - Fog of War" creates a 1x1 Grid for small maps, a 2x2 Grid for medium maps, and 3x3 Grid for larger maps and etc (depending on the map size). This is primarily to reduce the lag since each Fog of War square is treated as a separate shape.

Thank you for your feedback. We are working on a better solution for v3.4. Stay tuned, I may give an early preview of this feature, as it is very easy to use, I think better than v3.0 and before. So, for published adventures, you will still see the advanced Fog of War advanced polygon shaped simple one-click reveal/hide, and to make our GM prep experience easy, simply FoW All ON, then click-drag (rectangles) to reveal :)

In the meantime...
    There is a current workaround: Simply use the "Hide Negative Space" option from the Game Tools > Fog of War Window (as your primary Fog of War). Then as the PC's explore, simply "Draw" the area the PC's see/have explored. Next toggle the visibility of the drawn shape.

5. Caraldur

Caraldur Member

Yes

6. jonnblaze

jonnblaze New Member

I still think that if they're saying that they want to enable BOTH old and new ways, why the H^%L would they pull out the old way for even one version?

7. Entola

Entola Member

Could someone please explain the problem with the current fog of war? Honestly, I don't have a problem with it. I just make sure the map lines up to the squares correctly then draw in the FoW. I really don't understand, and would like to understand, why people are raging on the FoW.

8. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I'm totally with you on this one.. ++

9. Coopernicus

Coopernicus Member

There was a tutorial before on how to plaster the map with one big fog of war then "cut-out" the negative space... anyone remember where?