1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

HeroLab Import - live update

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by phloog, Aug 10, 2013.

1. phloog

phloog Member

The link between Herolab - which is the one tool that has all I need for my Pathfinder characters, and D20Pro, works as designed, but really needs an update:

Why can't the two companies meet and develop a LIVE TOKEN system? - - You create a live token in D20Pro, tied to a portfolio in HL. When a character picks up an item that is established in the huge list of things HL supports, or can be customized in HL, that item or change can be made in HL, and an "UPDATE TOKEN" button (in either D20Pro or HL) pressed. The data flows directly from HL to the token, without having to do the tedious current process of:

1) HL - Click on Export
    2) HL - Select the type of export (D20pro)
    3) HL -Use file browser to name/save file - OK
    4) D20Pro - Click on Import
    5) D20 Select type (HL)
    6) D20 Create whole new token
    7) D20 Put new / updated token on map
    8) D20 Delete old version of character

oh and

9) Start all over when Bob decides to give the magical ring to Steve's character in the next room.

Thoughts?

2. phloog

phloog Member

In the interim: One way of managing it might be to have, within the creature data in D20Pro, the option of a SOURCE entry, that could simply be a filename for the exported HL file, with a RELOAD button. Then you'd still have to do all the stuff in HL and save the export, but in D20Pro you'd just hit the RELOAD button on the same token.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

The problem with the concept is coding standards and the fact that neither group (project wise) would want to be so restrained and tied down to some other group product that they did not directly control.. Its a nice idea in theory, but isn't really practical ..

4. phloog

phloog Member

Perhaps, but as I've posted elsewhere, the first VTT to incorporate HL level character management, or the first character manager with an acceptable VTT built in, and as much as I love both companies Herolab and D20Pro both will go in the same pile as Lotus 1-2-3 and Microsoft Bob on my systems. And in fact, as much as I love D20Pro, the first VTT that does streamline the import from Herolab will probably get me to switch.

And honestly, the second idea I posted doesn't seem that hard to do from d20Pro's side....it's a field with the file location, and a button...clicking on the button basically says "Do the import procedure, but RE-IMPORT just to this token, using that file in the field provided. What complexity am I not seeing in that solution, which would seemingly not require ANY help from the HL people?

5. Entola

Entola Member

This would be nice. I just use HL to update characters in between season and during seasons I just update the token in play directly. I'm sure that this would possible from a technical standing, but I would be curious what the CPU overhead would be for this kind of thing.

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

The update token feature from importing an updated creature would be nice and would help lower prep time.

7. Kotawolf

Kotawolf Member

As it goes now...
    4.2 - Correct attack rolls.
    4.3 - Correct Skills that do not import properly
    4.4 - Correct damage rolls that it imports as 0D damage
    4.5 - Fix CMD to not do STR damage.
    4.6 - Verify everything else moved over correctly.

And if you are not the DM...
    7 changes to Export Character.
    8 Log into you game
    9 Upload character to your DM so they can verify it also.

8. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

hehe exactly... and you left off.
    4.7 Double check Feats (Sometimes adds ghost (double) entries) which when deleted remove both entries.

Which is why our groups rarely allow people to use HL for import into d20pro.. Its a great program on its own.. If I could afford it, I'd own everything for it.. I know a lot of people swear by it and consider the posted quirks with importing to be just a minor annoyance.. I however, find it easier and less hassle to just do it the old school way, by hand.. rather to try and fish to find what "might not" have worked right on the import.

9. zetasj555

zetasj555 New Member

Do the import procedure, but RE-IMPORT just to this token, using that file in the field provided. What complexity am I not seeing in that solution, which would seemingly not require ANY help from the HL people?