1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Players able to modify character sheet.

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Tinyish, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Tinyish

Tinyish New Member

I think it would be a good idea to give the DM the option to let players modify thier own character sheets for characters that are assigned to them.

When a pile of money is awarded to a party or a few copper spent the judge shouldn't have to update the character sheet of every person in the party. This would use the honor system to ensure that players didn't add extra stuff similar to how the pen-n-paper version works; the gear and abilities on a character sheet are all handled by the player. This would also allow the game to continue sooner when the party needs to level up.

Of course, the Judge should have the option to assign and revoke the priveledge. A Judge could opt to only give the party the ability to level up thier characters and then lock them afterwards.

2. Entola

Entola Member

I will +1 this and add that the GM should be notified when I change has been made.

3. Tinyish

Tinyish New Member

I only come back here to check on this one thing. I couldn't care less about any of your other updates as long as players still can't update their character sheets.

Whenever I tell anyone about D20 pro, this one thing is literally the second thing I tell them, right after "D20Pro is cool BUT..."

I don't use D20Pro any more because this one thing has gotten so annoying. But you probably don't care; you already have my money.

4. ChrisRevocateur

Actually Tinyish, if you look at the announcements about what they're doing now, player editable character sheets are on their way (along with a ton of other awesome updates).

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Kind of offended at your stance, honestly.. These guys go far and out of their way to accommodate gamers and are not even close to being "in it for the money"...

Players can edit their own records.. It's called a judge license.. This help keep costs down for players.. but if they wish to do that, then pay a little more and get a judge license..

6. Tinyish

Tinyish New Member

When my brother and I attempted to use this program we both had a judge licence. He could edit his character sheet with his own judge licence and then send it to me but he could not edit his own character sheet in my campaign while connected to my judge licence as a player even if he had a judge licence.

If I were wanting him to keep track of something like how many arrows were in his quiveror or healing potions left in the sack so that I could tune the remaining encounter to match that for story purposes then I'd either need to ask him for a new version of his character sheet or ask him directly. Asking him to send me an updated version of the character sheet every few minutes is a huge hassle. Asking him about his resources may give away my plans. I could personally keep track of every single arrow fired, and potion quaffed, but that really shouldn't be the job of the DM.

Also, the player may want to keep track of how many rations or arrows or whatever that their character has left and the DM may not care in the slightest. The player would have to either write the numbers all down somewhere else (completely defeating the purpose of even having a character sheet that tracks inventory) or bug the DM to make the updates after every shot.

With the announcement of the new version of D20 Pro, this specific feature was the ONLY thing I looked for. I trust that they can do everything else well enough. The only mention I found of it was at the $90,000 level. I guess I'll have to check back and make a pledge if it gets close to that.

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

And this is exactly as it is 'round the live table too.. It is certainly nothing new to the gaming environment.. The gm either asks the player (verbally or by passing a note) or they keep track themselves (of Bobs arrows, or johns potions)... The "Current" embodiment of the equipment section is really there for encumbrance and for plot items, the tedium aspects of tracking minute things is still left to the players and GM....(at least in my experience with using it)... and it serves those concepts alright..

That said, they have told us time and again, that the equipment management both needs and will be getting an upgrade...

But honestly, (speaking for myself) I'd much rather them work on some of the more important things first, as I have said - it works alright for what it is and isn't any different than what I would have to do without d20pro at a live table...

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

They can correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that "everything" on the road map is coming to us (eventually). However, if they get "Funded", we will be there faster.. The coding crew will be able to devote more time and resources to getting the job done quicker... verses working on d20pro, when they are not doing their "day jobs" ...

9. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I second what Krilion_GD has stated. Funding = Faster distribution of features that are coming anyway.

Make the Pledge.

Just

Do

It