1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Saving throws and healing "damage"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lonewolf147, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

Couple of thoughts on this. Is there a way to designate a token as 'undead' so that when healing energy is used on it it gets to make a save for half or take full damage?

Here's my situation. I have a cleric that uses his positive energy burst to heal the party. But, if he wants to deal damage to undead, the positive energy burst just heals them instead. Also, even if the undead make their save, they are still healed for full amount, not half. So to actually do damage, I have to change the energy burst to 'normal' and then it deals damage to the undead.

This seems cumbersome that I have to change the damage type each time I want to use it. So I tried creating to special abilities, one for Heal the other for Harm. The problem with that is each ability then has it's own per-day pool. I don't see a way to tie two abilities to the same pool.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I would just build a separate effect for the Negative Burst Damage. Make it an "At Will" Ability but have him/her burn a positive use charge at the same time with no targets for tracking.

3. Dragonmaster13

I have just made two effects. One to heal damage and one to cause damage. When I use the Cleric Channel ability I just chose which one to use and load it. That way you don't have to have two abilities with one being at will and having to "burn" the other.

4. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

Thanks for the ideas. I'll just do the two for now.

It would be nice if there were a way to designate a token as undead or construct, etc, and have the different heals/damage affect it accordingly :D

5. KainPen

KainPen Member

I use 3 different effects for this. One is uses per day, another is channel positive to heal, and channel positive to damage at will ability. The uses per day one has no function other then as counter. I have my players use that before using the at will effect. I think this is the best and most accurate way of doing this in d20 pro. A lot of people think Channel is supposed to heal and do damage at the same time, but it does not. You have to pick what you are doing healing or damaging you can not do both according to the rules. the undead should not be getting healed any way because your player should not be selecting them as a target when healing is in use. 2 ability is the by rules way and correct way to do it in the program. d20 pro does not bother keeping track of your actions in a round you can do 1 to 80 so having the 3rd ability for a use counter is effective way to keep track of it. unfortunately for spell that do healing and damage to undead in the same ability like cure light wounds mass, ect. you have to apply the damage and healing separate. in cases like that I suggest adding the spell in free form casting section as the damaging part of the spell. the player can cast use up both when casting the single spell.

6. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

You're right about the having to choose your target for channeling as living or undead. I get that. But you don't choose damage vs healing. If you're a good cleric, you have a healing burst. That healing energy just happens to damage undead. This may all just be semantics though. I think we're all on the same page anyways :)

I like the idea of using the At Will counter and have two separate effects. Any thoughts on how to put that into a Hero Lab portfolio so that it imports correctly to my tokens in d20pro?