1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Updated Pathfinder Bestiary!! (V2, 7/6/12)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by tintagel, Jul 6, 2012.

1. tintagel

tintagel Member

Hello everyone,

I want to first thank BigKilla for creating the initial Pathfinder Bestiary file, which he uploaded to this topic a couple of years ago:
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=376

The file is massive, and it posed a few problems for users due to its file size and image files (all in png format). I spent several hours today going through the file, updating the near 400 creatures with cropped portraits (in jpg format), and separating them into 4 different maps for easier importing. Even better, the maps showcase a new spiffy creature pack background with instructions!

Please join me in giving a HUGE thanks to BigKilla for doing the bulk of the work and importing the stats. This wouldn't have been possible without you.

Without further ado, here are the maps in a nice zip file. Download the zip via the File menu in Google Docs, then unzip and import into your d20pro instance.

Pathfinder Bestiary (with pics) V2

Screenshot of the A-D Map
    [​IMG]

2. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

Thank you for your work on moving this massive project forward another step!

3. Montis

Montis New Member

Thank you very much!

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

There are still quite a few data entry errors in a lot of the critters, most notably missing data such as alignment, XP, alot are missing movement.. It would be nice if module field contained the creature type IE name Skeleton, module undead -- this is handy for searching and sorting the library list. Ultimately it would be very nice if it read -> name Skeleton, module undead cr2 -- this way you could sort/search list by 'undead' and get all undead.. or cr# to get everything cr2...

Air Elemental Huge is missing. Most elements are leveled as outsiders instead of elementals.
    several token images are incorrect.

It would also be nice if "Combat Maneuver" was cleaned up to be 0d0 str/- as it is pretty inconsistently expressed as is.

A lot of critters have BaB set locked to 0, then manually specified under attacks.. which is fine, I understand the reason and wanting to do say "dragon 10, cleric 5" so dragons can have spell lists and such, but most have incorrect caster levels or caster levels of 1 instead of what they should have.

So, while handy and useful..
    You do need to double check each monster for correctness as this is not polished enough to be a 'drop in & done' besteary..

Not knocking the hours of hard work so much as just pointing out so people (GMs) dont get broadsided during a secession by their players crying because the critter is entered incorrectly or the GM has to pause the game and have the players wait while he/she fixes a broken critter, noticed at the last minute.

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

BTW- splitting up the critters onto four maps, along with the 'map/instructions' background and cutting the total size by 2/3rds was bloody brilliant! :)

6. tintagel

tintagel Member

Thanks for the feedback. I only worked on the token images, not the data. I think the original data was imported from HeroLab by BigKilla or something. I'm curious as to which tokens are incorrect though - that's what I AM responsible for.

If anyone would like to clean up the stats, perhaps claiming a map so no one overlaps, it would be great!

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

on the map I am importing now..
    Ettercap, Genie Marid, Golem Stone, Gray Ooze, Hyena Dire, Lycanthrope-Wererat (Human Form),
    all show incorrect images..

I'll take a look at the A-D and make you a list there, I may have to re-import that one as I think I removed it once I was done with it..
    as well as for the other two maps once I get to those.

<laugh> the wererat showing as a giant yellow butterfly is really pretty funny!

8. Dan

Dan Member

There must be some sort of error with the library system. Try installing it into a fresh copy of d20pro, just to test.

9. Dan

Dan Member

Thank you for the bug catch. We suspect the bug deals with an incorrect merging of similar files. We are tracking this and working on it.

10. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

there also appears to be an invalid character or something in numerous monsters in their Feats section (same feat listed twice on most). If you edit the feats and remove one of the dupes. the record becomes un-editable after that tossing a error when you try and open the record.

I exported one of these and looked thru the xml, but didn't see anything out of sorts..
    re-importing the creature, does not fix the issue..it still will not open for editing...
    it also appears to be tied to the HL import as only those records are effected.

when I come across another one, I will post up the xlm here from the export...

11. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Awesome! Thanks so much for doing this.

12. RenScotson

RenScotson New Member

Anyone else having issues with some of the creature portraits? I have a dog that looks like a bulette and a riding dog that looks like a fennec fox.

Awesome work by the way, saves me a lot of time preparing my modules having all of these ready to go.

13. Entola

Entola Member

I actually went ahead and purchased the Bestiary from the Marketplace. If has more Monsters and all their images get automagically added to your token library. It was only $2.50 and worth every penny.