1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

How to force d20Pro to choose java 1.6?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firebringer, Feb 16, 2014.

1. firebringer

firebringer Member

Greetings all,

I have both java 1.6 and 1.7 installed on my machine. When I try to run d20Pro it always tries to use 1.7 which, unfortunately, causes problems. One very strange thing I've noticed is that if I have almost anything else open (IE, Google Chrome, Adobe Acrobat, etc) I get a fatal error stating that the Java Virtual Machine could not be created and the app fails to launch. I have to close everything and sometimes, sometimes d20Pro will then launch successfully.

First, is there a way to force d20Pro to use 1.6 instead of 1.7? Second, if that is not the cause of the inability to launch the Java Virtual Machine, does anyone know what else could be causing that particular problem?

Thanks in advance,

Firebringer

2. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

Edit your d20pro.bat file and set the

"set JAVA=javaw" to "set JAVA=<PATHTOJAVA1.6>\javaw.exe" as it states in the comments:

If your machine is x64 you probably have to edit the d20pro-64.bat

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

or if you are not using the bat (I don't) .. Just edit the info for the desktop shortcut "target".. using your own java path of course..

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx1280m -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -DBypassJavaVersionCheck=true -jar d20Pro.dat

This happens on my wifes machine sometimes.. It is tied to available memory.. you might try adjusting what d20pro is asking/looking for on startup..
    -Xmx1280m ... I wana say the default is 512 or maybe even 256 ... one of the Dev team might chime in and correct me if I'm wrong...

somewhere, tho I can not find it atm, is a whole list and help info on command line switches for d20pro ...