1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Hero Lab -> d20PRO import modification

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaltorak18, Feb 19, 2014.

1. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

I would like to create a program that would sit inbetween the Hero Lab export and the d20PRO import to add spells as abilities and preload effects. For example, I have a sorcerer that plays in my game and I manually add his spells as abilities on the character. The player isn't the most computer competent person and combats slow down when he has to load a lot of effects (even more so for creating new effects). Thankfully, effects you assign to abilities are part of the character, so they get transmitted to the player.

Now, is there a way in the hld20pro xml file to specify an effect name to assign to abilities? I know how to add abilities to the xml, but I'm wondering if there is something in the schema that allows for effect assignment. Part of the same conversion process can automatically generate effects for me in the effectsd20pro.GM.dat

For reference, this is an example of a special ability in the hld20pro xml file I'd like to add an effect="effectName" to. Does the schema/d20pro support this and I'm just using the wrong syntax?

<special name="Elemental Ray (9/day) (Sp)" uses="9" effect="effectName">Ranged touch attack deals 1d6 energy damage</special>

2. phloog

phloog Member

This is a really cool idea, but quite honestly I'm not sure how many higher-order features they should be adding when they can't even manage the import of the basics properly.

I still have attacks coming over with incorrect modifiers, or weapons like daggers with melee and thrown options coming over as JUST the thrown, etc. The import may as well not even happen, because while it's intended to SAVE you work, you end up having to do all the work of CORRECTING it, and this typically takes LONGER because you have to try to find all the errors.

I've been with both HL and d20Pro for a long time, and was loyal enough to support the Kickstarter, but if someone else comes up with a VTT that can actually accept HL data without mangling it, I'd drop this product in a second.

The most disappointing bit is that the things that they (not sure if it's one company, the other, or a little of both) don't seem to be able to get working are the absolute basics - - things like attack bonuses and damage. An attack is in HL, listed as (example) +4 melee, +9 ranged. You import to D20Pro and suddenly you have just the ranged attack.

If I assume that the D20PRo folks have no interested in building a program like HeroLab that also automates character management, then I'd have to say that better import from HeroLab is the ONLY feature in which I have ANY interest in the next version.

3. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

Accurate HeroLab import with all spells and abilities is absolutely essential. Integration with RealmWorks is a very close second must-have for me. And third would be integration of CC3 files for maps.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

We have had quite a number of updates over the past year for our Hero Lab importer, and these are all related on how Hero Lab is exporting to d20Pro. Hero Lab has changed the format in the export to d20Pro frequently. And of course if there's frequent updates to formatting, that is not a standard.

The most recent Hero Lab importer update was on 12/1/2013, and seen in this topic viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2189&p=11003#p11003

Regarding
    effectsd20pro.GM.dat

The effects saved in this file are only available to the local machine it is on. However, you can send this file to your players (simply change the name to effectsd20Pro - PC.dat), so they have the same ones you do. And have them place it in the following directory:
    d20Pro/user/

You can certainly save different effects and open the effectsd20pro.GM.dat file with a text editor to find out how it is coded to develop your own conversation tool.