1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Hero Lab imports now have incorrect values

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firebringer, Feb 16, 2014.

1. firebringer

firebringer Member

Greetings all,

Starting a couple of Hero Lab updates ago, I noticed that 1) all of my .hld20pro imports into d20Pro have lost their energy resistances upon import and 2) all attacks are showing a threat range of 20 and a multiplier of MAX, regardless of what their values were in HL. Has anybody else seen this and if so, does anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

I'm running d20Pro 3.3.4 and Hero Lab for Pathfinder (v4.3, Pathfinder rules version 8.7).

Thanks in advance,

Firebringer

2. Nezzeraj

Nezzeraj Member

The devs have stated the most helpful way to resolve import bugs is to list the versions of the software you are using, as well as posting the native HeroLab file and the exported hld20 file so they can try to fix it.

3. firebringer

firebringer Member

Nezzeraj,

Thanks for the reply and the tip. Attached are a sample .hld20pro and .por file exhibiting the erroneous behavior. I had to add '.txt' extensions to both files before the site would let me upload the files.

Attached Files:

4. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

I have two that I've encountered with the Hero Lab importer as well. The XML on the hld20pro file appears to match (most) of the values in Hero Lab, but when they come into D20Pro there are some errors I have to fix. Most of the data comes over just fine, though, so thank you. I'll attach my d20pro file to this.

The attached file contains 4 characters. The two characters that are having issues are Fayne and Hiro.

Fayne's issue is with his damage, he has the following line in the hld20pro file:

<attack id="iMagWeapon" name="Tempest (both hands)" attack="3" damage="2d6+4+1d6 cold" critical="×3" multiattacks="yes" class="twohanded" equipped="both" melee="true" ranged="false" thrown="false" finesse="false" damagetype="B">
    <itempower name="Frost"/>
    </attack>

In D20pro his damage is listed as:

Notice that the dice for the main weapon (an earthbreaker) is missing. Also missing is the magic damage type.

Hiro's Issue is also with his damage, he has the following line in the hld20pro file:
    <attack id="iMagWeapon" name="+1 Agile Adamantine Elven curve blade (both hands)" attack="2" damage="1d10+1" critical="18-20/×2" multiattacks="no" class="twohanded" equipped="both" melee="true" ranged="false" thrown="false" finesse="true" damagetype="S" material="Adamantine">
    <itempower name="Agile"/>
    </attack>

And in D20pro:

He should have +6 damage (+1 from the weapon and +5 from his dex). It seems like the Agile property isn't being translated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Thank you for submitting the por files and the hld20pro files. This is most likely another change to how hero lab want to export to d20Pro. It seems they like to change the export style every update.

6. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

Thank you for looking into this, edwardcd.

If their export format is in flux so often, do you think they would have any interest in having access to the herolab importer code? Or at least the part of the code that reads/deserializes the hld20pro file. If you had a repository they had access to that only had the herolab importer it would allow them to update the importer themselves when they make changes to their export format. If they're willing to work with you, of course. Or, if the repository was public, we could submit pull requests when we see the format change ourselves.

Anyway, thank you again!

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

All good suggestions.

It is true that our software is in a private repository and available to our dev team; providing access for Hero Lab team might be one solution. Alternatively, making the HeroLab (and other importers) public might be another solution.

8. Coopernicus

Coopernicus Member

Wow that didn't really go anywhere, did it.

So the responsibility is with Herolab ie. talk to them? Wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest if D20 pro and Herolab got together and had a talk about a solution instead?

9. kaltorak18

kaltorak18 New Member

There's a task in the D20 Ultimate Trello board about updating the way D20Pro/Ultimate imports characters from Herolab. It's scheduled to be included in the first update. You can find out more about D20 Ultimate at the following locations: D20 Ultimate Roadmap post or D20 Ultimate Roadmap

10. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

We are working on a standardized format, it does just take time in communication and programming-hours.

11. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

IMNSHO, RealmWorks and HeroLab native support are critically essential and are likely worth d20pro selling its soul for. Integrating with them to create a seamless data exchange would be the holy grail and the first to market doing so is going to own the market. Whatever it takes to move support forward needs to happen.

12. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I have both RealmWorks and HeroLab also, and to have them all communicate with d20Pro would really make me happy.

13. GroffleNerf

GroffleNerf New Member

Hi All d20pro/HL Gurus

Am I doing something wrong or is this issue not yet resolved.

I've:
    updated the HL pluggin of d20 pro (last night)
    updated HL (V6.1 a)
    exported the entire portfolio from HL -- using the d20 pro custom output
    imported this as a hl file into d20pro (version 3.34).

Much of the data turns up -- but no spells.

Some error messages are produced in the notes:
    spellClass not found: alchemist
    spellClass not found: alchemist
    Importer Error Log:
    Unable to import: alchemist 9 :The Creature Class alchemist is not installed
    Defaulting to Fighter
    Unable to import: druid 1 :The Creature Class druid is not installed
    Defaulting to Fighter

Thanks for your advice!!

Attached Files:

14. kinwolf

kinwolf Member

I had the same problem(with cleric). I fiddled with the classes.txt file and put the "Cleric" to lowercase "cleric" and it solved it, but that's an ugly solution. So I put it back the way it was and tried the beta instead and it fix the problem too.