1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Will this do what I want it to do>?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Severite, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Severite

Severite New Member

I am considering buying this for use at my gaming table. My idea is to lay down a TV, and run the map with fog of war using this program. I need the map to display as one inch squares, and be able to dynamically uncover the fog of war. At this time I print of a map I create using gridmapper, and then print it turning it into a poster. I would like to drop the middle part, and have access to stronger map icons. :D

2. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

I am using d20Pro for this right now, but with top-down projection. It should work fine for a tv/monitor, as long as the resolution is adequate (I'm running 1024x768 and it's OK, would be better with more resolution). You can easily zoom in and out of a map so that the squares are ~1" on your "table." I use actual minis for the players, just manually move the virtual tokens underneath after the player moves their mini. I use virtual minis/tokens for all the NPCs.

3. Dark Lord Galen

Dark Lord Galen New Member

Like Robotguy, I utilize minis in concert with digital, but am doing exactly what you re inquiring about.
    See link here ( I utilize the same avatar so you can see my game table set up)
    http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=50112&page=2
    In unison with Herolab (by lone Wolf Development) you can import character data as well to the tokens... but is not "required" to utilize as you describe.

I tried using the projection system first but they are sensitive to the amount of light in the room and the "throw distance to the table... ( I don't have a high ceiling)

4. Severite

Severite New Member

Aye, I was going to use physical mini's, and just use the program to display map/play on. Is it really worth it to automate combat-use electronic tokens, it seems like it would be a lot of 'fiddly bits' to deal with at the gaming table. Also, does the GM license require a subscription? Or is it 'never expires' like the player example given?

5. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Player and GM licenses are pay once, no subscriptions.

6. Severite

Severite New Member

Sounds like what I need. One other question, if the TV I have does not work out, can I also print off the maps, or save it as a Jpeg?

7. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Once you import the map, you can chose the image as JPEG or PNG, but currently, the folder that holds those images, the images are not saved in that format, nor named what you named for the image. It stores the RAW image as a .OBJ file and gives it a number as a name. When you export the map, it is in a format for the software, and it preserves the state of the map, creatures on it, FOW etc. The name is that when you imported the image, and can be changed in the software. I am sure that there is no current function that lets you output the map to print outside of using the Print Screen option and saving the image in that manner. The use of the software runs the other direction, with most folks importing/drawing a map in another program and bringing it in to the software to use and populate. I cannot speak to the Unlimited versions capabilities, but there may be adaptability to support that in the future.

I am sure the TV should work, as I have used it in that manner as well as with a projector. The Electronic tokens are great to use as the fiddlty bits are nice since effects are tracked according to the token/PC and the movement and automated combat functions are linked to them as well. By not using the E-Tokens/PC, you are taking away one of the key advantages to the software, and lengthening combat encounters. Of course there is a learning curve, so at first, the combat will not seem to be faster, but once the players and you are seasoned on it, combat will go smoothly. I have helped run 48 hour long tournaments using this software, and I could not imagine doing so without this tool. We used one Laptop for the PC's to share and manipulate the map for their interaction, logged into the Judge on another laptop, and the Judge Laptop running a player instance of the play broadcast onto the TV/Projector/Monitor for all to view. All done Wirelessly, except for the TV/Projector. Now, with Chromecast and other WiFi TV's, the future may be that you could wirelessly broadcast to the TV as well. It would be cool if they could add that kind of support in the future.

I hope this helps.

8. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

I have a plan for this. I've discussed it a tiny bit with the devs and it seems do-able when Unlinited comes out. I have a cheap computer vision camera that can track "color codes" (See http://charmedlabs.com/default/?page_id=211). I plan to make small bases for the minis with pairs or triplet LEDs on them so the camera can recognize them and feed the info into D20Pro. Moving a real mini on the projected (or LCD) map will move the virtual mini in D20Pro. I havent figured out attacks or area spells yet, but I'm cogitating.