1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Planning to buy and join, but I have Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir. Nel Dela Bronx, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Sir. Nel Dela Bronx

Sir. Nel Dela Bronx New Member

I was interested in the product so I Download the latest version of D20 Pro and it didn't work. So I went online and searched a beta Version I think it was v3.4 Beta 3 (v3.3.903) d20Pro. I don't know maybe it's me but I don't see the same features that were on the video. Can you guys help me out I really interested in buying a play with my boy in Colorado.

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Tips for installation.

1. Do not install in default location. Give D20PRO its own folder on the main c: drive (or other drive)
    2. The UAC (User Account Control) can cause issues with running the software as well. I recommend disabling it, but others have reservations. It really depends on how comfortable you are with your security protocols.
    3. I cannot speak to the 3.4 installer as I have not done the upgrade, I am running 3.3 currently, and it does not have the bundled Java. If you try to install the 3.3, make sure your JAVA is up to date.
    4. Try using the .BAT file to start the program (64bit) as that may be your issue as well.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

yeah, the Beta isn't really the way to go atm.. Mat has clearly said it has "issues" (it's a Beta afterall)... tho some of us do enjoy the option to be able to see and fiddle with the Betas so as to give the devs feedback and such, they are not really meant for actual game play/usage...

4. Dark Lord Galen

Dark Lord Galen New Member

Ditto to Krillon's post.....
    I would add I am running windows 8.1 on a small form-factor machine for running our gaming table.... the only "glitch" utilizing the "approved" version (ie not the beta) is I have to reset the java before each session. a minor hassle.... I'm fairly certain it is a java issue and not a D20pro issue.

To clarify, when I initially turn on the system, no problems D20pro takes off... if for any reason I leave the machine to run, but shut down D20 pro... and then try to restart just D20pro... it cannot "create the environment" so I have to go through a re-start... and it works fine again... hopefully with the new and improved D20 unlimited on the horizon and improved Java, this will become a non issue.