1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Marketplace: Downloads Seem Rather Slow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by canniscam, Nov 12, 2014.

1. canniscam

canniscam New Member

Good Evening,

First let me say that I really dig d20Pro and I am very excited about d20Pro unlimited. :mrgreen: My biggest complaint at the moment is that it takes forever to download content from the marketplace. I've tried this on several different machines each running different versions of Java. I've used both Java 6 and Java 7 on Mac OS X 10.6/.9 and Windows 7 and Windows 8. I have also tried it on several different networks with Firewalls enabled and completely disabled with only port forwarding on. I've tried placing the machines in DMZ's as well. At this point I am a bit lost on the reason. Is the Marketplace server just overwhelmed on a full time basis or is Mindgene limiting the available bandwidth per connection. I ran a search on the forum but I didn't find a relevant answer.

A typical install seat for me: :ugeek:
    CPU: Intel Core i7
    GPU: Geforce M750GT
    RAM: 8 GB
    Internet Connection: 50Mbps (down)/10Mbps (up) @ Home and 100Mbps/100Mbps (office)

Thanks,
    Casey Annis

2. ChrisRevocateur

The downloads have always been a little slow on my end as well, no matter the time or place. I've always figured it was a bandwidth cap. With the fact that the developers never had this as their day job, and with internet being paid by the gigabit these days (dunno if it's that way for business, but I'm theorizing that it is), they probably aren't able to afford letting customers download everything all willy-nilly. Because of the download speeds, whenever I create a new campaign, I just take a base campaign folder with everything already downloaded and copy it. If the downloads were faster, I probably never would have even tried that workaround, instead just downloading everything every time I get a new campaign.

3. canniscam

canniscam New Member

ChrisRevocateur:

That is a good idea, I hadn't thought of doing that between my different systems. I know I have tons of zip drives laying around and I could just keep a copy of each of my campaign folders as a skeleton. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't see Mindgene accepting the offer but I would be more than happy to provide them with some mirroring space on one my servers. They would have an extra 200Mbps or so out of that.

Casey Annis