1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Work usually required after importing from Hero Lab?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kinwolf, Nov 20, 2014.

1. kinwolf

kinwolf Member

Hi, I started learning/using/transfering my campaign to D20Pro since 2 of my players have moved out of town(and the kickstarter was a nice place to jump in). I was already using Hero Lab for characters and encounters so I tried the export/import but I found many mistakes in the imported version in D20Pro (weapons have a +1 to hit, which is actually their damage modifier in Hero Lab....) So, to make sure I am not missing anything, and since D20Pro is not really that easy(so far) to master, I thought I'd ask what work usually needs to be done/fixed after importing a char from Hero Lab? EDIT: Oh, and does this mean I'd have to redo all the fixes if I reimport a character?

Currently trying to grasp the "effect" feature of D20Pro :|

2. djc664

djc664 Member

Welcome to the club!

Each imported character is unique; it currently does not allow you to "update" a character in your library. So the answer would be yes, you do have to redo anything created in d20 Pro. Longer term (which the Kickstarter paid for in part) is the development of more robust options such as that. More on the long term goals can be found here:
    https://trello.com/c/rI25MuUF/21-import ... ture-merge

Check out the board and be sure you post your suggestions if you have some new things to add!

In the short-term, the exporter from Hero Lab has a habit of getting updated / changes output at times without really letting anyone else know about it beforehand, so sometimes there are some bugs that creep in. For the most part, all the bonuses and stats should transfer correctly. Anything you notice that appears to not convert correctly should be reported here; as the 3.4 update is pretty deep in betatest at the moment, now is the time to catch those bugs if we can.
    https://trello.com/c/01w2Y9BH/6-hero-la ... er-refresh

3. kinwolf

kinwolf Member

Yeah, can't wait for Unlimited, but I'm glad they made the kickstarter licence retro-active so we could get accustomed to the program in the meantime, even with it's current quirks :)

Thanks for the link, did't know about the Trello board. I do have some suggestions in mind that I don't think would require too much time to implement(but what do I know, I make scripts, not java programs :p)

I will be playing more with D20Pro this weekend so I'll make sure to note and report the disperancies after an import. I have the beta installed already at least(tried it after seeing a bug that "Cleric" was not being recognized as a valid class after the import in D20Pro 3.3. )