1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Adding notes to maps?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldManJim, Jan 5, 2015.

1. OldManJim

OldManJim New Member

Hi Folks,

I'm one of the new users who have gone down the D20Pro rabbit hole via Kickstarter. So far, I'm loving the product & we had our first real online game with it on the weekend (The Emerald Spire super dungeon). I was kicking between D20Pro & Realm Works / Hero Lab over 3 monitors. Great fun!

So far, I can import maps, set up FoW, add markers etc without a problem. However, I wish to add room identifiers on the map in D20Pro. I've been looking and can't find any way of adding a simple text tag. I'm trying to put the room ID (A1, A2 etc) onto the map, but keep it hidden from the players. It'll greatly help me keep track of what room the players are in.

Is there any way of doing this (I'm sure there is & I just can't find it...).

Thanks,
    Jim.

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I use creatures to do this. I have found (somewhere) or created number schemes as JPG images, brought them in as creature images, and then just place them where I need them and make them invisible. This way I can mark the map points, add the text to be read under description, and the room details (DM only) under notes. You could create map markers to do this, but you would be limited by the text descriptor space. I do not bother using Alpha Numeric indicators (A1), and instead created a creature library of 1-50. I usually add the Alphanumeric to the name.

3. OldManJim

OldManJim New Member

Thanks for the reply, Golkiwu.

Seems like a painful way to add a simple note on screen. Hopefully the Ultimate ed will fix this.

Cheers,
    Jim.

4. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

A note can be done with the existing map markers. I was trying to just pass on what I do for more involved markers. I use the method I listed to allow ease of use with the map open and not needing to reference the material as often while in game. I do hope a more elegant solution is available in unlimited as well.

5. ChrisRevocateur

With the fact that they're opening up plugins with unlimited, even if they don't add it themselves, it's probably just a simple java plugin away.

6. eshall

eshall New Member

My second question is: how do I know if Fog of War is correctly enabled? I read the tutorial but is there a way to be sure its working?

7. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Outside of the tutorial, you can just log onto your own game. You can run a judge and a player at the same time on one PC. You will use the IP given on the judge options tab. Now you can see what a player sees when youush changes from your judge. You can also use this method to broadcast the game to a projector or TV by extending your desktop to it once connected to the device and placing the player client window on that display.