1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Connection issues (already checked the guides)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robotguy, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

I've been running a game with 4-6 players for 9 sessions now (3.3.903) with no issues, barring the occasional slow connect or someone who needs to try twice to connect. Suddenly today I can't get anyone to stay connected, including my daughter sitting at the table across from me using my internal IP address. Everyone is connecting/disconnecting constantly and even when they seem to be connected, they can't communicate. Well, except for one of my 6 players who seemed to have a decent connection through the whole fiasco. Here's my info and what I've tried:

Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.1
    Uverse ISP with AT&T installed router and Wifi
    Using default port of 10101, forwarded through the router (It's been working fine for months), although it does appear my router port-forwards by MAC address rather than IP, and I only had TCP forwarded up until today.
    Internal IP address (wifi) 192.168.1.4

1. Checked public IP address, hasn't changed
    2. Restarted D20Pro
    3. Rebooted computer
    4. Turned off wifi, ran a cable across the house and made a wired connection. Set up port forwarding for port 10101 UDP & TCP at the new IP address (192.168.1.48)
    5. Removed wired connection, changed port forwarding back to 1.4
    6. Installed 3.3.905 - Connection from my daughter's computer seems OK at the local IP address, but /myip reports my local IP as 1.48, even though we connected through 1.4
    7. Ran 3.3.903 concurrently on port 20202 - /myip reports 1.4, but now /myip on 3.3.905 is reporting 1.254 (Wha?)

I set all my players free, so I don't have anyone to test external connectivity at the moment, but if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Robotguy

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Robotguy,

I know that disconnects can cause an annoying interruption in game play, and when I experience this in my own game it does get old really quick (in my case, one of the players is on a slow connection with a high ping due to their physical location). One would think the computer on the same internal network would have the strongest connection (your daughter sitting at the table across from you). And since one of your six players remained connected during the whole time means that they were able to connect with your current settings (that worked for your last 9 sessions) normally would indicate an issue with the other people's internet connection. Combine both and I think we should start with the computer itself.

There has been documented issues with MacOS X Yosemite and network connectivity issues, as a recommendation I would visit and evaluate if any of these could be the cause of your network connectivity issue:
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-f ... -yosemite/

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3421

3. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

4. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

I did try the Yosemite fixes, but that didn't seem to do the trick. I also upgraded to 3.3.905 (I can't get 3.4.0 to run...), but that didn't work either. What seems to have fixed the issue is having everyone raise their memory limit. I am assuming it is because we were using a large map ,although we had switched to the large map during a previous session with no issues.

5. ChrisRevocateur

Size (in number of squares) for a map is only one indicator of how big it is. The resolution also matters. Maybe the big map that was causing the issues is a higher resolution than the big map that hadn't been causing issues (if they're different maps)?

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you remember what your player's memory limit was set before and what the memory limit was set after? Thanks.

7. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

I don't know what their initial setting was (mine was something like 450M, but I'm on OSX and everyone else is on Windows) but I'm sure it was still at the default. Most of the players said they bumped it up to 2G. One player bumped hers to 750M, still had issues, and had to go up again to 2G. I am running the Thundertree map from LMoP directly from the author's source at 4500x3136 (well, I trimmed a bit to get the grid to work correctly).

As the DM, I changed mine to 6G because I have a lot of stuff open at once.