1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Brand New to the game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jetewabbie, Jan 28, 2015.

1. jetewabbie

jetewabbie New Member

I am brand new to D&D. I played a few games in high school back in the 80's. (showing my age :roll: ) I would like to learn D&D and play on d20pro. I backed the kickstarter. I have 4 boys I would like to teach to play in the future but I need to learn it first.
    My question is, what is the best way to learn how to play. I guess I need to learn D&D first and then how to play it on d20. Or can both be learned at the same time. I would love to play on d20 with a group but being a complete newb I guess it would be hard to find one.

2. ChrisRevocateur

Using d20Pro when you're first learning would probably be a terrible crutch honestly. It automates enough that you probably wouldn't internalize and really learn the rules. Depending on what edition you're using (I assume either 3.5 or Pathfinder), the best start is probably by reading the Player's Handbook (Core Rulebook for Pathfinder), beginning with the Combat chapter, followed by Skills, then Feats (you don't have to read up on every skill and every feat, just the beginnings of these chapters, as they spell out how skills and feats work). Follow that up by skimming the Classes and Races chapters.

After reading those chapters, I'd suggest making a few characters. Both the 3.5 and Pathfinder books have good character creation checklists at the beginning of the books. It's a good idea to start with something like a fighter or a rogue. If you feel you've got a good grasp and feel adventurous, try a ranger, paladin, or barbarian. You generally want to stay away from casters for your first few characters (not a hard fast rule though). Whatever you do, you're going to want to read the ENTIRE entry for whatever classes and races you make characters from.

After that, you're ready to start playing with a group (and probably far more prepared for it than most people are during their first game). If you can, you DEFINITELY want to play for a few months before you try your hand at Dungeon/Game Mastering. If you've done the reading and character creation practice I suggested, playing with a group via d20Pro wouldn't be a terrible idea, whatever gets you playing honestly, but if you can, it'd probably be better to play with a local group using regular paper character sheets and dice. As I said before, d20Pro automates enough that it would fight against your internalizing of the rules that you need at this point. So if you do end up playing using d20ro, I'd suggest re-reading the Combat chapter (at least) every once in a while.

After a few months of playing, if you feel comfortable, you could start reading the Dungeon Master's Guide (or the Gamemastering sections of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook) and running your own game. Unlike playing though, Game Mastering is very much something that you can just kinda jump into, and is probably the best way to learn it. The important thing with game mastering isn't the rules, it's the story telling. You can learn the "proper" way of arbitrating rules as you go along. This is probably the point you'd want to start teaching your kids, and they could be the first group you Game Master for.

Anyway, that's my personal advice, from 17 (almost 18) years of playing this wonderful game. Honestly though, whatever feels comfortable for you is what is right for you.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jetewabbie!

First, thank you for backing our kickstarter! I think you will enjoy learning D&D/Pathfinder/RPG while using d20Pro as a battlemap only (until you become more familiar with the RPG's game mechanics).

I'm going to confirm what Chris stated in his post, I would first learn the mechanics of D&D/Pathfinder/RPG game you are planning to use and only use d20Pro as the battlemap. Since Chris went over a good way to learn the game mechanics, I'll focus on what key features of d20Pro to learn first (after this one suggestion). If you are using Pathfinder rules, I would recommend the Paizo's Beginner Box even just the PDF for $9.99 gives you a great start on how to play and how to GM a game (if you don't mind printing out stuff), or the actual box for $34.99. Either way, you can experience the game solo with a short narrative - "choose your own adventure" style play with dice, then create a custom character and playing through the 4 mini adventures (each about an hour long). The way it is presented will definitely reduce the time to get the basic game mechanics down. :)

The key in this strategy is learning d20Pro as a battlemap:
    1) Create maps http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGPMaps.php
    2) Easy Fog of War in 3.4.x (Use Easy Fog of War and you can quickly add or remove the Fog of War layer using single clicks for individual square or use click-drag selection)
    3) Create basic characters (Names, pictures, and if you want some automation = initiative value) http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGPCreatures.php Just need to fill out Name, pick an image for the token, and enter in the initiative value http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGMGMInitiative.php

Learn about Map Library and Creature Library
    http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGMLibrary.php

Learn how to move Creature tokens from one map to another:
    http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGMGMMultiMap.php

Keep a pad of paper to keep track of enemies stats (like HP,AC, saves), have players roll real dice and do everything manually until everyone understands the game mechanics, then you can move up towards automation in d20Pro for keeping track of HP, AC, saves, etc. Then after you understand the published game mechanics and want to add/modify/remove rules to make it more fun for your group, you can certainly create your own "house-rules." At the end of the day, it's all about having fun with friends or family.

4. jetewabbie

jetewabbie New Member

Thanks for the great information. Is D&D version 5 supported? I have the Players Handbook. Just need to start reading. :D

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

If using for a battlemap with player tokens and bad-guy tokens, all games using a square grid are currently supported. Automation wise, d20 games will work for automation, this includes D&D Next (5th). While there isn't an officially supported d20Pro ruleset yet like there is with D&D 3.5/D&D 4e/Pathfinder, all it takes is one person in the community to post what they are using in their existing 5e campaign for it to start .