1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

New to D20 pro

Discussion in 'User Created Content' started by TollBoothWillie, Dec 15, 2014.

1. TollBoothWillie

TollBoothWillie New Member

Hi Community,
    I am new to D20 pro and did not realize the amount of work that would go into creating a campaign. There are already players who are ready for me to begin DMing however it will be a long time before I have anything ready. Does anyone have some good Pathfinder data that is basically "plug and play"? Also, is there a tutorial that I can read to familiarize myself with the software? Thanks a ton and I look forward to being able to contribute in the future!
    Best,
    TollBoothWillie

2. fixit9660

fixit9660 New Member

Hi TollBooth Willie,

Did you ever get any replies? I'm considering using D20Pro but if this is the standard of Forum Support then there's no chance I'm wasting my time and money on it.
    Best regards,
    Andy.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Andy,

TollBooth Willie posted multiple places, and his question was answered on his original post:
    viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2908&p=11828#p11828

If you are considering d20Pro as your gaming solution online or around a table, I would encourage you to take advantage of our backerkit ordering system to get the best deal. I would get the Add an additional Full + 2 Licences and the Upgrade Full License from Legacy Full to Unlimited Full, so you get both the legacy license and the unlimited license. This currently is the same price as the legacy license by itself purchased elsewhere. Also this preorders page is soon to be expiring.

For quickest support use the "Contact Us" button.

4. fixit9660

fixit9660 New Member

Hi Curtis,
    Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I've ordered the Licenses you suggested in good faith. I've just dumped FG2 because it' didn't do Fog of War and in spite of the forum and joining a group, no games were forthcoming anyway.
    I sincerely hope D20Pro proves to be a better investment.
    Best regards,
    Andy.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your support, it is much appreciated :) Money used to purchase licenses are used for development hours improving the product :)

d20Pro offers two distinct ways to control Fog of War, we designate the terms as 1) Advanced FoW, and 2) Easy FoW. Advanced Fog of War is polygon based and typically used for any commercially available adventure to provide the GM ease of use by clicking to reveal areas or have players move into new areas and approve the reveal (manually or automatically). Easy Fog of War is grid based where the entire map is hidden and you can click-drag a region to reveal an area or simply click on each square to fine-tune the area to reveal.

If you are creating a battlemap that you will run multiple times, it may save time by defining the Advanced Fog of War (note: demo was using v3.3 - it's been improved in v3.4) regions for single-click reveal actions. Or if you are creating a battlemap for single use, the Easy Fog of War is the quickest way to create a battlemap with Fog of War. And with the development of the Unlimited engine we are introducing truly dynamic Fog of War which we call shadowcasting which will replace the legacy Advanced Fog of War and GMs prepping a battlemap will define wall areas instead of polygon shapes. I would encourage you to view our kickstarter video to see how shadowcasting works and to see where we are headed in the future.

I personally own FGII, and a number of other virtual table top software applications an online providers solutions and spent a lot of hours on each solution. I do not "bash" on other apps as we are all in the same boat, we are gamers who want to enjoy our time gaming - both in-person and online. And we all have a similar goal of bringing people together to have fun, even if members of our gaming group moves. I'm confident you will find d20Pro a nice addition as you can use as many or as few features as you want - whatever makes running the game easiest for you :) Some people only use d20Pro's map/fog of war feature and keep their normal GM accounting to themselves. Others have all players use hero lab or pcgen to manage their characters and can export/import them into d20Pro to handle attacks/saves/skills automatically with random dice roll attacks/damage/etc. Really, we allow the GM real flexibility.

If you need help creating content or have any questions, please ask in the General Support section. If you are looking for games to join, there are some open, I would use Active Topics available from "Quick Links" then "Active Topics" and you can change the display filter from 7 days to 2 weeks or 30 days.

And again, you have direct access to the d20Pro staff using the "Contact Us" button at top, and through the forums. Emails are usually responded to very quickly, unless of course we're on the road or at a convention or trade show.

You can also see what's coming on the development side of things:
    d20Pro Legacy
    d20Pro Unlimited

Best Regards,

6. Dan

Dan Member

For the price, I think it's one of the best investments for your gaming dollar. It's strength really lies in number crunching (attacks, AC, effects, etc). There is simply no comparison in that area.