1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

UNDO!!!!

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Robotguy, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

I am getting really tired of having something operate in a completely non-intuitive way when there is absolutely no option for an undo. Asking "Are you sure you ...?" isn't enough when the software doesn't end up doing what I though I was sure I wanted.

2. fixit9660

fixit9660 New Member

Please can we have an "Undo" function built into the next release? Even if it's just a manual method to copy files back from the Windows Recycle Bin!

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I have also fallen prey to the accidental deletion of an hour or more of work in the past. So, I've adopted a save, close, and reopen routine after 15-30 minutes of work. And it doesn't just apply to when I'm putting content into d20Pro, I do this in InDesign and Photoshop as well, and those programs have many layers of undo actions, and I've lost work in these programs too.

The first time this was mentioned there was no "Are you sure" message that appears when deleting, though when deleting for cause the warning gets to be an annoyance and ignored. So while, an undo probably not make it into legacy, I can see the importance of having it in a future version of unlimited.

How many undo actions? Where do undo's apply (does it only apply when you delete something, or does it also apply when replacing one value)? Where do undo's not apply? Will there be redo actions? With each undo or redo step creates additional hard drive space and/or ram space.

4. fixit9660

fixit9660 New Member

@edwardcd
    Instead of keeping track of all the "Undo's", why not do an "Export" of all the info being deleted as part of the deletion process? Keep it a simple modification to the existing deletion process using the Export code that you've already written.

Save the individual files into the "....\D20Pro" root or "....D20Pr0\Deleted Items" folder where they can be easily found (preferably the latter so that the root folder doesn't get filled with genuine old rubbish.

If the User wants them back, they only have to "Import" the ones required.

For added sophistication: Append the date/timestamp to the original file name. You could even include an option to empty the folder of all the files over a certain age if you really want housekeeping sophistication.

That should be a pushover for the team to implement? :D

5. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met,

The UI for d20Pro is about to be rebuilt, stay tuned for a major announcement on this soon. In the meantime, I'd like to stir the pot here a bit. :twisted:

Robotguy do you remember exactly what you were doing when the software didn't act as expected?

fixit9660 I'm reluctant to start creating backup files on disk. It could end up filling up someone's disk and also only a subset of gamers will be willing to go into the file system to recover things. How about instead the next version of d20Pro you Archive (instead of delete) things in the Library. You'd then go into the Archive to fully delete something. So can accidental deletion would be easy to fetch out of the Archive.

edwardcd the new data model has a full undo/redo stack baked in. So game state will be rewindable and that should allow for recovery any inadvertent action.

6. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

Yup. I was playing with tiles (which I still haven't figured out, but mostly for lack of trying) and inadvertently messed up the current map for my game. I closed the map and told it to discard the changes, assuming (yes, i know... :oops: ) that it would restore to the previous save when I last closed the program. But I was mistaken and closing the program, while it obviously stores a copy of the open maps and minis somewhere, doesn't "save" them back to the library as I had thought. When I reopened the map, it was in the state from the last time I had closed it. Which was before I had moved all of my current players onto it.

I'm not really complaining about my erroneous assumptions, just venting a bit of frustration that, in this day and age, a mistake like that usually isn't fatal.

BTW, a little off topic, but does merge only work to merge a library creature into a creature on the map? It would be really handy to have a method for "saving" characters. It's a bit of a pain to have to make edits to the library, delete a player, drop a new copy and assign an owner every time I make a typo or stat error (which i do a lot :? )

7. fixit9660

fixit9660 New Member

Hi thraxxis!

Surely my suggestion is easier to implement and simpler to understand? Your customers already understand about Exporting items, so it's a repetition of an existing function. You already have an Export function/code in the software.

And saving a file to disk, is saving a file to disk, whether it's a deleted file to the Recycle Bin, saving it to a Exported folder, or Archiving it. There is no difference physically. :)

And how many files do you expect your users to delete? It's take a phenomenal amount to make a detrimental impact on most disks capacity.

Keep up the good work!!!

Best regards,

Andy.