1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

MAc Upgrade Support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nlfenlason, Aug 29, 2015.

1. nlfenlason

nlfenlason New Member

I am disconcerted at the lack of information on the upgrade process for Mac users. My current install works fine, but the new version (3.4.8) zip contains the executable package and a couple of folders. The upgrade instructions just say to copy the package folder into Applications and presto. Would it kill someone's time to write down instructions? Maybe pin it on the forum? Maybe spend a little bit of time learning OS-X?

For example, what am I supposed to do with the extra folders? I know they are integral to running 3.4.8 because it will not start without them, but I do not want to clutter up the application folder with these kinds of folders, that is what the Application Support folder is for. They could be distributed within the package folder too, but one would need to understand how OS X works for that.

I am a kickstarter supporter and am discouraged from participating further since it appears Mac support is an afterthought.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I'll see if our Mac guy can shed a bit more light on this...

3. flyteach

flyteach New Member

I second this. Previous installs were from .dmg files. The most recent ones are .zip files and will NOT work on a Mac (or at least instructions, however the .app file will NOT launch the program). Please go back to providing .dmg files for installs on Macs.

Jim

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

d20Pro v3.3 or before
    Control+click (right click) on d20Pro application > Show Package Contents
    d20Pro_3.0 > Contents > Resources > Java > judge > campaigns

Copy the full campaign directory (or if only one campaign copy the folder... example: "Campaign 1")

d20Pro v3.4.x
    then pasting the "Campaign 1" into (or just paste entire campaigns folder in judge folder:
    d20Pro-mac-3.4.8 > data > judge > campaigns (if campaigns is not there create a folder)

This is also discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2927&p=11967

The reason why there are external folders for d20Pro is due to the feature that allows users to select an alternative campaigns directory. This allows people with networked drives or those who want to link to a cloud source (such as dropbox) to store their campaign files. This also allows you to work on your campaign from your laptop on-the-go, save your work, then come home to your desktop and work on your campaign some more. The old model (v3. and before) is self contained and does not allow a shared drive to store campaign files, so you are stuck transferring data from one computer to another in the previously mentioned scenario. An easy way is just move the d20Pro-mac-3.4.8 folder inside your Applications folder, that way it won't clutter up your Applications folder with additional folders. Then as an easy step just drag the d20Pro app from within the d20Pro-mac-3.4.8 folder to your dock.

Mac compatibility isn't an afterthought, d20Pro is actually developed on a Mac. It is just more Windows users ask for support than Mac users. So there is more documentation regarding those questions. Perhaps we've just expected our Mac users to be ultra awesome and have ESP to why we do things since we too are Mac users, but you are right, we should really put documentation in multiple places. Hopefully this restores your trust and thank you for your continued support - we appreciate it.

OS X Mavericks: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13964?locale=en_US
    OS X Yosemite supports ZIP files http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/compatibility/
    Open, click-drag to copy files to Applications folder, then run.
    If you are having issues with launching the application, please make sure that you downloaded the correct version and also allow the application via gatekeeper. http://www.d20pro.com/about/index.php#faq

Thank you for your input regarding your suggestion to go back to dmg.

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Curtis, you rock.. thanks for the info .. :)

6. nlfenlason

nlfenlason New Member

I was going to write a long post. Then I realized I will just have to create a folder to house the application package and the loose folders in order to keep the Applications folder clean. That is what I have to do for other apps originally written for windows. I would have put the jre folder in Application Support if not in the package itself, and then the location of campaign folder info in Preferences. But that's just me.

Thanks for the insight into the judges folder. I was going to run a diff on the package trees to find out what was different. Where can I find info on setting up a campaign folder on dropbox? Or do I just copy the whole package folder onto the cloud drive?

Sorry for the harsh tone, I was pretty frustrated.

Cheers!
    Norm

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Norm! I completely understand where you were coming from, so no worries. This time we took function over form so we could finish some features in Classic - minimizing our development time so we can spend our development time on Unlimited.

How to point d20Pro campaigns folder to an alternative directory (such as dropbox)

Some info about my Mac setup:
    dropbox is located: /Users/curtisedwards/Dropbox3/Dropbox/ (yes, 3 dropbox setups, this 3 one is the one I use for d20Pro)
    d20Pro campaigns folder located: /Dropbox/d20Pro/campaigns
    d20Pro located: /Applications/d20Pro-mac-3.4.8

Procedure:
    (these are steps for anyone to use, for all MacOS users - using the setup I have mentioned earlier. your setup may alter the steps slightly)
    • Inside /Applications/d20Pro-mac-3.4.8/data/judge
    • Create a simple text file and name it "campaign.override" (this must be simple text, not rtf)
    • Make sure "campaign.override" does not have any other extension file type (can use command+I to update extension - .override is the file type extension)
    • Inside the "campaign.override" file place the following:
      Code:
      //Users/curtisedwards/Dropbox3/Dropbox/d20Pro
    • Save
    • Now open d20Pro and it uses the new campaign directory instead of the one located in /Applications/d20Pro-mac-3.4.8/data/judge/campaigns